PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a mistake and get a BB 8700

eric0668
05-31-2006, 10:21 PM
I mean I love it. Still learning what it does.

But I saw 2 Pocket Pc's today and they say they love them, they do so much, they got them because it has windows OS. Well the BB has a OS right,...it is BB proprietary right?

Anyway, I know it is subjective. But the Pocket Pc (i.e. MDa also, right) has cam, and mp3 player. What can the BB do that that can't

help me feel I made the right decision. Still ahve a few days to return too. LOL

AlbertoM
05-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Buy a camera and an iPod. THe BB does what it does, securely and safely receive and transmit emails better than anything else.

eric0668
05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Buy a camera and an iPod. THe BB does what it does, securely and safely receive and transmit emails better than anything else.

Rotflmao..................I have both. thanks. But you put my mind at ease. And I am personally not find of the slide phones.

nsbalt
05-31-2006, 10:33 PM
1st and foremost: BB OS is stable - - - windows OS is not! The BB is primarily used for email and does a damn good job at it. I've had a 7100t and now a 8700C (on T-Mobile) and do not regret it at all. I was always a smart-phone person in the past, pocket pc's, etc... I am extremely happy with the 8700c for both phone, email, and internet!!

eric0668
05-31-2006, 10:35 PM
1st and foremost: BB OS is stable - - - windows OS is not! The BB is primarily used for email and does a damn good job at it. I've had a 7100t and now a 8700C (on T-Mobile) and do not regret it at all. I was always a smart-phone person in the past, pocket pc's, etc... I am extremely happy with the 8700c for both phone, email, and internet!!

Thanks.

What did u unlock the C from Cingular. Isnt the BB a smartphone. Or is it a PDA. difference??? Which is the palm treo closer to BB or Pocket PC

tfolks206
05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
the windows OS is stable in the MDA, i had one and had absolutly no problem with it

Gazoo
05-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I just went back to Rim from a Windows UT Starcom 6700. Its a night and day comparison.

Blackberry OS is stable, practical and it actually works. Windows is bloated, glitchy and freeze prone. So what if it does a lot of stuff if it doesn't do it well!!!!

Windows and the PPC 6700 sucked donkey tails!!!!

Webby
05-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Lmao I use to have the 6700 PocketPC but it would always freeze up. Now I have a Treo 700p and am wishing that I would of gotten the 8700G. I can still get it but I'm not sure about it.

K-Mack
06-01-2006, 04:48 AM
I guess it's just a Blackberry thing. My Razr had alot of cool features, but I honestly don't miss them. The BB is a rock solid communication device and I would never go back to the bells and whistle type phones.
Once you've Blackberry'd, you get it. 8-)

AlbertoM
06-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Also there are many work places which will not allow cameras and camera phones. BB's are automatically allowed in...

takeshi
06-01-2006, 08:16 AM
A lot of people are impressed by the whistles and bells and they'll play with them until the new toy effect wears off. I'm not saying that there isn't a valid need for cameras, MP3 playback or any of a myriad of features in a handheld device. Geeks are particularly bad about this and will spout off all sorts of specs without realizing that numbers on paper and real world performance and reliability are two entirely different things.

If those features aren't important to you then don't worry about them. If they are, then switch. More features and added complexity aren't always a good thing (say, if reliability is a priority). I'm also not saying that a reliable device with all sorts of features can't be made but I have yet to see a truly reliable Treo or WM device -- both in terms of OS/software and hardware. You can minimize OS/software reliability issues by not installing various applications but that seems to defeat the purpose of using a Treo or WM device, IMO.

I guess, in short, what I'm saying is that your happiness of your choice of device shouldn't be based on other peoples' opinions of your device or even their devices. Definitely listen to what experiences other people have and re-evaluate your situation as needed but don't fall into the rut of feature-mongering.

cwosigns
06-01-2006, 08:23 AM
I have had three BB's, a 7100g and two 8700c's. I had gotten rid of the 8700c because I wanted those features you mentioned, but in the end I *had* to have my email and calendar with me ALWAYS. Plus Google Maps has made it a must-have device to have when I travel.

NJBlackBerry
06-01-2006, 08:28 AM
If you got rid of your BB, where would you go to ask all of your questions about ringtones?

LunkHead
06-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

If you got rid of your BB, where would you go to ask all of your questions about ringtones?

treocentral.com

Lol :)

Seattle18
06-01-2006, 09:51 AM
the windows OS is stable in the MDA, i had one and had absolutly no problem with it
tfolks206,
That avatar looks awful familiar!!!

ronbotex
06-01-2006, 09:59 AM
I faced a similar choice. Have been pretty happy on T-mobile with my 7100T.

Thought I might "upgrade" to the Motorola Q just introduced on Verizon.
Referred to as RazrBerry, BlackBerry Killer.... hmmm not really.

Basic features, very thin profile, camera, nice multimedia(audio and video), ultra fast CDMA/EVDO network, QWERTY keyboard, pretty nice design and about $200 from Verizon if you sign up for one of their unlimited data plans STARTING at $79/mo for 450mins/unlimited data.

What really turned me off however.
Verizon $20 more per month for considerably less.

No "real" push email. For email not located on an Exchange
they have a kludgy "wireless sync" that polls your email boxes every
15 mins , sends an SMS message to the Q to fetch ur email.

The microsoft patch needed for alleged "real push" with exchange not
implemented as yet.

Tethering is additional charge as are SMS/MMS messages on the
unlimited data plan..

Windows Mobile SmartPhone V5 does require periodic "reboots".

Battery life for WM5 devices is a day or so.

So after all that, I ordered a an 8700g for $200( upgrade 2 yr), and will
stick with my current "minutes & mail plan" for $60. I'll get my instant
push email, a stable os, fast browsing on the edge network, and
good battery life.

Don't regret it a bit.:smile:

HI-Tek
06-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I just moved from a WM5 8125 to a RIM 8700c and I do not regret it one bit.

The only thing I miss is the today screen from the the 8125.

But I would constantly have to reboot the phone after synching with outlook, or it would occasionaly get stuck while checking email.

Also not to mention having to dial with a stylus was not fun.....

It was a cool phone, but not practical for me.

I truly enjoy the 8700's "phone-like" functions.

KonTiki
06-01-2006, 01:26 PM
If you are even questioning yourself in the decision you made I would just turn to ebay and sell it quick before it looses any more value and go get the unit you long for.

eric0668
06-01-2006, 01:42 PM

Hopefully I would not have to eventually, as I am learning a lot now. But I suppose it would be the same place, another forum, that you would ask a calculus questiion or a question about pc's or setting up a network

eric0668
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
If you are even questioning yourself in the decision you made I would just turn to ebay and sell it quick before it looses any more value and go get the unit you long for.

Thank you. Not really questioning, just wanted to know how pocket pc was better. i suppose you will hear something in each phone's forum

thanks again
Eric

junior1790
06-01-2006, 02:55 PM
I'll tell you this I just picked up a Motorola Q based some reviews i have read and the knowledge of others on this forum. I currently use an 8700 and a razr and i think it may stay that way. I have had the treo 700w and some other pocket pc and smart phones and none will do e-mail the way a BB does. Even if you are not using a BES (exchange Server) it will still beat the competition. The Q is cool looking and light and carries well but really thats about it, form def beats function here. If e-mail is your main goal stick to BB but if you want a mediocre e-mail solution, although it gets the job done, then go WM5 i would even suggest a Motorola Q, camera, media player etc.... let me know if can be of any further assistance111

amnon
06-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Some features that come to mind:
1. E-mail filtering and classification (priority, specific rings, etc.)
2. Auto on/off.
3. Being able to run Google Maps
4. Stability

Sure media playing and a camera would be nice, but not if they come at the expense of business use.

eric0668
06-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Some features that come to mind:
1. E-mail filtering and classification (priority, specific rings, etc.)
2. Auto on/off.
3. Being able to run Google Maps
4. Stability

Sure media playing and a camera would be nice, but not if they come at the expense of business use.

Yeah I noticed that last night. I had the alarm set for this a.m. and I needed the phone to be restarted, and I saw the mesg that next startup woulid be this am at my alarm time. I was like WOW. It really turns itself back on??

darmac
06-01-2006, 05:24 PM
I recently went from a nextel i930 smartphone to a blackberry 7100 from tmobile. Then i liked that one so much i upgraded to an 8700. There is no comparison between the two. The i930 is a mere toy compared to the 8700. The email service alone is worth the swith. Until Microsoft comes out with a PUsh technology the smartphone will always lag behind...

emporer_troy
06-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

I'm addicted to my 8700c. I'm on it right now. The BB is great. Its clean and crisp. Not clumsy as the pocket pc's seem to be. Plus with the BES that I just got enabled today and the tethering capabilities I don't think you can go wrong with the 8700. Great Email capabilities, good outlook intergration with hosted BES, great email and features. Awesome device.

tfolks206
06-01-2006, 09:01 PM
tfolks206,
That avatar looks awful familiar!!!

seahawks baby, going to be superbowl XLI champs, got the 206 in my name too, :-)

msk
06-01-2006, 09:01 PM
I had an MDA, ebayed it, made a small profit and ordered a 8700g. The 1.3 MP camera was not good at all. I have seen some sony ericsson phones with 1.3MP cameras that are actually good, the MDA's camera sucks. The TI processor was too slow, major lag, even when rotating the screen from horizontal to vertical view. The MDA could take a miniSD which I am going to miss when I get my 8700g.

tfolks206
06-01-2006, 09:03 PM
I had an MDA, ebayed it, made a small profit and ordered a 8700g. The 1.3 MP camera was not good at all. I have seen some sony ericsson phones with 1.3MP cameras that are actually good, the MDA's camera sucks. The TI processor was too slow, major lag, even when rotating the screen from horizontal to vertical view. The MDA could take a miniSD which I am going to miss when I get my 8700g.

i did the exact same thing except my camera worked great and i thought it had a good picture, it also a little lag but not that much only a second delay or 2