PDA

View Full Version : Wheel button

phantomdaz
06-02-2006, 03:41 PM
As I look to change from my Treo 650 to the 8700, I was wondering about the wheel switch.
can you keep the wheel switch from being active in a simular way to having the keypad locked?
I seem to never know what my Treo is up to when I have to put it in my pocket. The keypad is locked but the buttons on the side are still active which drives me nuts.
Any info as to "good or bad quirks" is appreciated

EAndresen
06-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Had a Treo 650 and now a 8700c and will never go back. When the BB is locked the scroll wheel will only activate the backlight. The two ways to unlock is to click the scroll and select unlock or press * and the call button. So when its in your pocket its not going to call or do anything till its unlocked. ( I keep mine in my pocket all the time no holster.)

BB 4 life....

E

devlol
06-02-2006, 03:49 PM
When the phone goes into lock (you can set a pw so it won't unlock w/ a push of a button) then the scroll also goes into lock mode.

Kind of. It's like...

Phone locks after 30 seconds of non use.

Wheel works in that it turns the backlight on and allows you to scroll from:

Unlock
Make Emergency Call
Cancel

Other than that it's pretty much locked =P

edit: ope was late by 1 minute :3

phantomdaz
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the info

The 650 is my first PDA /smart phone but I am not real happy with it
I saw the 8700 over the weekend and I really like what I saw, I am still trying to check out all its features.

What I am looking for is to interface with our Novell Notify client for work e mail. This BB is supported by Novell so that isnt a problem.
I want to be able to surf the web while waiting at airports without dragging out my laptop.
And of course, I need good phone quality ( well is that an oximoron or what)

I am thinking on buying it on line tonight. One of my other Cingular phones are eligable for an upgrade so the cost is 199 after a 50 dollar mail in rebate.

What is up with having to have a dedicated bb data plan. I am being told that my data plan from my Treo will not work with the BB and the BB plan is a little more expensive

Dazz

devlol
06-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but

BlackBerry has their own server type thing data.. line.

So you have to subscribe to that since it's not the actual Verizon, Cingular, T-Mo lines/servers for the data.

stripesace
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
The BBUNL plan I thought was the same cost as the UNLM Data Connect for the treo?

devlol
06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
No because BlackBerry has their OWN line that the carrier does not own.

So the carrier has to pay RIM for use of it and we get charged extra to use it on top of what the carrier pays.

The normal unlm data plan is direct from the carrier.

phantomdaz
06-02-2006, 04:43 PM
No because BlackBerry has their OWN line that the carrier does not own.

So the carrier has to pay RIM for use of it and we get charged extra to use it on top of what the carrier pays.

The normal unlm data plan is direct from the carrier.

So if I sign up for the Cingular unlimited BB data plan, will I have to pay for txt messages or e mail direct to the phone?
I do have to pay that now with my Treo and Cingular even though I have an unlimited data plan. If I send or receive a txt message, I gotta pay. Also the same if someone sends an e mail to my phone number @<hidden>

Is it the same with the BB plan?

phillyslickster
06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Yes, you'll have to pay for text messages either as paying per each text message sent and received or you can sign up for a text messaging plan. Sending an email to phone number @<hidden> shows up as an incoming text message to the recipient. Yet, there is no charge for sending emaila with the bb unlimited data plan. The other bb plan at Cingular is 5 mb so if you go over 5 mb of days then you'll pay the overage fee. If you plan on sending and receiving a lot of text messages, I suggest that you sign up for a text message plan in addition to unlimited bb data plan.

Winston S.
06-03-2006, 01:51 AM
I believe you need to be on a dedicated BB plan because of the Rim's PUSH e-mail and PIN system.