PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking 8700c

cp-Mike
06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
First off, yes I did search, but I just want to make sure that what I'm thinking of doing will indeed work.

I want to buy an 8700c (currently locked) and use it on T-mobile. I'm a current Cingular customer, well actually, an old AT&T customer with an AT&T-branded phone and sim card. I checked out GSMphoneSource.com, and apparently I need to have a sim in the 8700c to get it unlocked. Would it work if I stick my current sim in there, just to get it unlocked?

NJBlackBerry
06-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Yes, that will work fine. GSMPhoneSource unlocked my BlackBerry perfectly.

tonydrone
06-03-2006, 12:19 AM
or if you call Cingular BB Data Support, they will give you the unlock code in a matter of minuets. Tell them you travel for a living, and you're going over seas in a few days.

If you buy the phone outright (pay full retail), then they have to give you the unlock code.

n

lasmn
06-03-2006, 12:20 AM
First off, yes I did search, but I just want to make sure that what I'm thinking of doing will indeed work.

I want to buy an 8700c (currently locked) and use it on T-mobile. I'm a current Cingular customer, well actually, an old AT&T customer with an AT&T-branded phone and sim card. I checked out GSMphoneSource.com, and apparently I need to have a sim in the 8700c to get it unlocked. Would it work if I stick my current sim in there, just to get it unlocked?
I have a question. I'm still a GSM charter AT&T customer. They said they could sell me a data plan, but said it "Probably wouldn't support Blackberry services, or "Probably not all of them". The ever useful Cingular support team. Anyone have experience with this?

cp-Mike
06-03-2006, 02:02 AM
or if you call Cingular BB Data Support, they will give you the unlock code in a matter of minuets. Tell them you travel for a living, and you're going over seas in a few days.

If you buy the phone outright (pay full retail), then they have to give you the unlock code.
Will they give me the unlock code even though I don't have a BB plan with them and didn't purchase the phone from Cingular? I definitely have no desire to pay full retail.

jdjleo
06-04-2006, 04:03 PM

Wrong.

I work for the company, they dont HAVE to give you anything.

The criteria for recieving the unlock code for your phone is as follows:

The device is a Cingular product and not one from another carrier.
The device is:
The original Cingular device used during the service period,
or, it's upgraded replacement,
Alternate Cingular devices may not be substituted.
(i.e., the original handset or it's upgrade replacement qualifies, a friend's or some other handset does not)
or, an eligible secondary market Cingular device.
The request to unlock the device is by a verified caller or through another carriers representative.

For Postpaid - Handset Purchased at a Reduced Price - Contract Period Not Completed, add:

The account is in good standing with a $0.00 balance.
The customer has completed 90 days of continuous service.
The customer has qualified for and has Cingular's International Roaming feature on their account.*
The customer has requested to have their handset unlocked.
Note: A handset does not need to be unlocked for Cingular's International Roaming Feature to work.

BryanJTX
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I have Cingular Blue. I bought an 8700c direct from Cingular, put my SIM card in and it worked fine as a phone. I am also on the Charter plan and was worried that I would not get the data plan to work, but you can add BB plan to Cingular Blue ($39.99/month).

whoscalling
06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
how do you tell if your phone is unlocked?

cp-Mike
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks Bryan. Its always good to see first-hand accounts.

whoscalling
06-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Ok, I will ask a different way.

If I go into options-advanced-SIMccard and it says at the top SIM Card: Security Disabled Does this mean it is unlocked?

NJBlackBerry
06-06-2006, 01:59 PM
No.
Go into Options - Advanced - SIM Card and type

MEPD

If it shows Disabled for all entries there then it is SIM card unlocked.

This was posted in another thread yesterday.

whoscalling
06-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Thank you. I have:

SIM-Disabled
Network-Active
Network Subset-Disabled
Service Provider-Disabled
Corporate-Disabled

What does that equal= LOCKED

Ah shucks

NJBlackBerry
06-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Network: Active means locked.

zhou5359
08-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Thank you. I have:

SIM-Disabled
Network-Active
Network Subset-Disabled
Service Provider-Disabled
Corporate-Disabled

What does that equal= LOCKED

Ah shucks
me too.
they tolded me ,the network be LOCKED.can not to use other SIM card .which friend can help me to unlock the phone?thanks!

carl rifkind
08-16-2006, 04:43 PM
on OS 4.1 on a 7290, I entered the unlock code and now when going to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card and typing "MPED" nothing happens. Is this right? It worked once before.

carl rifkind
08-16-2006, 04:54 PM
oops! used the wrong key combo, now it works!
shows

network: inactive

SUFan
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Wrong.

I work for the company, they dont HAVE to give you anything.

The criteria for recieving the unlock code for your phone is as follows:

The device is a Cingular product and not one from another carrier.
The device is:
The original Cingular device used during the service period,
or, it's upgraded replacement,
Alternate Cingular devices may not be substituted.
(i.e., the original handset or it's upgrade replacement qualifies, a friend's or some other handset does not)
or, an eligible secondary market Cingular device.
The request to unlock the device is by a verified caller or through another carriers representative.

For Postpaid - Handset Purchased at a Reduced Price - Contract Period Not Completed, add:

The account is in good standing with a $0.00 balance.
The customer has completed 90 days of continuous service.
The customer has qualified for and has Cingular's International Roaming feature on their account.*
The customer has requested to have their handset unlocked.
Note: A handset does not need to be unlocked for Cingular's International Roaming Feature to work.

And you wonder why people hate cell phone companies...

Mayhemgatz
08-17-2006, 09:46 PM
I have an unlocked 8700c and I'm using it with tmobile. I'm new to this and am trying to sync my BB with my pc so I can load applications on it. I downloaded the necessarry programs 3 times and all 3 times the desktop manager program closed before I could do anything. Somebody help or point me in the right direction thanx

nsbalt
08-18-2006, 03:18 PM
In the Desktop Manager, have you clicked the Application Loader icon? This is how you install applications on the BB, besides doing over the air (OTA) installs. The Intellisync will not install applications. Also, the applications need to be compatible with your BB model.

zhou5359
08-21-2006, 01:53 AM
on OS 4.1 on a 7290, I entered the unlock code and now when going to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card and typing "MPED" nothing happens. Is this right? It worked once before.
haha,follow me :
M press once
P press once
E press twice
D press once

:smile:

zhou5359
08-21-2006, 01:57 AM
oops! used the wrong key combo, now it works!
shows

network: inactive
"inactive" means UNLOCKE.
"active" means LOCKED.
"blocked" means OVER :(