PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 8700G or wait for Sidekick 3

dialekt
06-03-2006, 05:57 PM
A common question to many but raised to the dead for me because I miss the blackberry. I was on the 8700c when I insanely had an itch for something better..ended up trying 3 other phones and then came down to this crazy decision to just get a sidekick II. Why? Because it's fast as hell in functionality, has the best keyboard to type on, and I wanted to get back in touch with the platform because I heard the sidekick 3 was actually gonna become a reality. To be honest I know we are probably about a month or so off. So I know the craze would definitely happen once the SK3 is realised. It's going to be everything everyone wanted in their sidekick 2. So I know the craze for it will be insane. Should I hold out ..or go back to the rock solid stable EDGE sexy one handed operational beast from which I was hatched? (almost). I just dont wanna feel like I wasted money once a month passes by and I feel the need to just HAVE to HAVE the SK3 :(. if that makes any sense? Oh and I like that the BB doesn't rely on danger's servers.

NJBlackBerry
06-03-2006, 05:58 PM
I assume that everyone under 18 will want an SK3.

Webby
06-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Get the Blackberry 8700G. It's much more customizable than the SK3.

bigbossman
06-03-2006, 06:25 PM
I waited for the sk3 for the past 6 months and I finally gave up and got the 8700. it was a good decision, i love the bb. going from the sk2, it was hard adjusting to the keyboard but i've actually found i can type faster now. who actually knows when the sk3 will even be released?!

from the specs i've heard, the bb is still going to be significantly lighter and thinner than the sk3. then again, the bb doesn't have an mp3 player but you should get an ipod if it's that important to you.

EricaJ1074
06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
You will love the BlackBerry. I came from three Sidekicks in less than 2 months and I got tired of the constant data connection drops. I had my color sk lose connection for over 7 hours and died; 1 SK2 outright died and # 3 (a second SK2) had the same issue as #1 before I gave up and went back to BB.

I also got tired of the lack of customization (no themes, limited to what was in the catalog, etc).

If you need reliability and stability, get the BB. I have an mp3 player and disposable camera for my multimedia needs. I don't need all of that.

dialekt
06-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Ok tell me this. since I was formerly a user of the 8700c.. loved it...I had the BHARTI stuff, Zen Theme, functioning perfectly. What's the latest and greatest that I'd have to do now? Is the T-Mobile O.S. fine...or boring like the cingular one. From what I remember ..installing that BHARTI O.S. was the greatest thing I could have ever done.. next to the Zen theme of course..Made my device perfect. Oh and the ringers were louder too :).

perfect Aim figured out yet? I didn't really like Yak-On or Verichat all that much.

let me know because I think I'm really gonna take the plunge. And besides if in any case the SK3 does come out. I'd wait for all the bugs and probably play with one of my friend's Sidekick 3s before jumping on it anyway.

EricaJ1074
06-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Have you used Ramble for AIM? I have AIM and Yahoo preloaded onto my 7105t but I barely use it because I have the new Yahoo, GoogleTalk and BlackBerry Messengers (all from RIM).

sblair203
06-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Hands down , 8700G. Anyone want to put me onto new features with the 8700G, pin me a message - 23052826. :smile:

supadupahyphy
06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Sidekick is fun but thats it its not a tool more of a toy:wink:

digital/blasphemy
06-04-2006, 06:50 AM
8700G, you'll love it.

The Intel processor makes this thing lightning fast. Speaking of lightning speeds, web browsing with EDGE is truly a pleasure. OS is rock solid

plus, i don't like my screen to flip on a little hinge

surflinez
06-04-2006, 07:42 AM
I ordered the blackberrry 8700 from to mobile extended my contract for 2 years .They could not get it to me inside the 3 day ship time so I dumped t-mobile then picking up the treo700p.the best PDA ive ever owned.
Doing busness on they go-versa mail is great/fax feature also waiting for your flight watching fox news live on the treo.The EVDO fast data speeds are outstanding!!!!

noeffectx
06-04-2006, 08:00 AM
if your under 18yrs old get sidekick3 :oops:
if you need fast data connection(edge/wifi) only for chatting(I.M) with your myspace friends, go with sk3 :oops:

If you want to your device to be stable and productive, for alteast 2yrs down the road, go with the 8700g (y)

Last Z
06-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Sk3.....7-10-06.

Pin me if you have any questions.

MP3, removable memory, EDGE, 1.3 MP camera, cool buttons.....BIG Unit compared to the 8700G!

jdjleo
06-04-2006, 01:37 PM
QFE lol thats exactly what i caame here to post =P

MikesTechSvcs
06-04-2006, 01:43 PM
A SideKick is mainly for young people, not for the business developed.

A person like me, and those who run a business, a Blackberry is really business minded.

Don't get me wrong.. I like a SideKick. But I would not use it to run a business like I do my BB.
- MTS

dialekt
06-10-2006, 06:56 PM
sorry to bring this back up...but I HAVE TO. It's the only thing that can make me cling on to my 8700G. As I have it for sale already. Just been turning down a bunch of calls. And the ones that actually did get through flaked. (must be a sign). What exactly prevents you from running a business through a sidekick 2 device? Or any phone from that matter....What exact features do you require in order to successfully run your business?

Figment
06-10-2006, 07:27 PM
What exactly prevents you from running a business through a sidekick 2 device? Security is a big, BIG part. Sidekicks get hacked all the time.

jdjleo
06-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Security is a big, BIG part. Sidekicks get hacked all the time.

Yah, ask Paris Hilton!!! =P

mobilecontrol
06-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Sidekick is designed for the kiddies, nothing else. No way can it compare to an 8700g. And yea, it's coming late summer/early fall.

nuopus
06-11-2006, 01:02 AM
sorry to bring this back up...but I HAVE TO. It's the only thing that can make me cling on to my 8700G. As I have it for sale already. Just been turning down a bunch of calls. And the ones that actually did get through flaked. (must be a sign). What exactly prevents you from running a business through a sidekick 2 device? Or any phone from that matter....What exact features do you require in order to successfully run your business?

NOTHING about it (SK3) is designed to look/work in a professional environment. The interface does not look professional, the apps were designed for teenage usage and nothing more .. this means no corporate exchange email. It was not built for security in mind ... what more can I say?

All that ... and I don't want to be part of the Sidekick stereotype. The stereotypical sidekick user is in their teens or a user above their teens who like to socialize more than act professional or work for a living. And .... you can't deny the stereotype. Its the Parris Hiltons and Snoop Doggs (and their wanna-bes) of the world who will be using the SK3. That is DEFINATELY not what I want to be associated with.

Its your call though. If your into on-the-go multimedia like MP3 players there is NO way that hasbro toy can compete with the video ipod.

mobilecontrol
06-11-2006, 01:50 AM
SK, SK2, SK3 is like the Moto RAZR and each one of its predecessors...one HUGE overrated piece of crap.(n)

Borgus
06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
NOTHING about it (SK3) is designed to look/work in a professional environment. The interface does not look professional, the apps were designed for teenage usage and nothing more .. this means no corporate exchange email. It was not built for security in mind ... what more can I say?

All that ... and I don't want to be part of the Sidekick stereotype. The stereotypical sidekick user is in their teens or a user above their teens who like to socialize more than act professional or work for a living. And .... you can't deny the stereotype. Its the Parris Hiltons and Snoop Doggs (and their wanna-bes) of the world who will be using the SK3. That is DEFINATELY not what I want to be associated with.

Its your call though. If your into on-the-go multimedia like MP3 players there is NO way that hasbro toy can compete with the video ipod.

I couldnt help but to laugh at that! (y)
Well said my man, well said.

nuopus
06-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I couldnt help but to laugh at that! (y)
Well said my man, well said.

Ya .... ive seen people use their SK2 and was like ... "You playing Toon Town?"

I mean .... if I was a construction worker using a hasbro red and yellow plastic shovel to mix the cement I would look silly. But, that is exactly what a grown-up in a professional environment looks using a SideKick and I can't take any of them seriously.

LOL but its just my take on it though ... your thoughts may vary.

billclark
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM

I'll take an SK3 if it comes with a free Paris Hilton :P

nuopus
06-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I'll take an SK3 if it comes with a free Paris Hilton :P

I MAY take the SK3 with Paris Hilton if she had facial surgery to get rid of the goofy nose, smug look, razor sharp lips that act as a living letter opener and had that flat buttox rounded out.

But as it stands, she is no Angelina Jolie and is no way better than my beutiful wife. lol

Naaa .... I dont want to pay the money for her face and body altering surgery so you will have to pry my BB from my cold dead hands. ;-)

Meave
06-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I too was waiting for the sidekick 3 but decided to go with the 8700 and I'm glad I did. The
sidekick is cool and all but the 8700 is so much more and the biggest thing SMALLER.

HuwSy
06-12-2006, 03:02 AM
Well the spec of the 8700 series will outdo the Sidekick 3 in most ways as does the style, the only thing th sk3 has going for it really is mp3 playback, but with th price of memory cards being the same as that of a cheep mp3 player then why confuse the 2 devices? If your after a multimedia device / phone then get a treo, which uses the cheeper normal sd cards and supports bb connect. But if your after a solid phone email device then stick with Bb.

surflinez
06-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Well the spec of the 8700 series will outdo the Sidekick 3 in most ways as does the style, the only thing th sk3 has going for it really is mp3 playback, but with th price of memory cards being the same as that of a cheep mp3 player then why confuse the 2 devices? If your after a multimedia device / phone then get a treo, which uses the cheeper normal sd cards and supports bb connect. But if your after a solid phone email device then stick with Bb.
Not to stir up this thread but being a past blacberry owner lets be fair with the treo 700p.If you have ever used one you would now it,s more then multi media/phone.the treo 700p does support many media files with pTunes giveing you outstanding mail options that are = to the 8700.It really come down to owning one device that covers all edges so have found the palm has done that well.blackberry owners need to ask there self this one simple question=were's my SD card slot.in these forums you have half of the owners of the blackberry trying to figure out how they can get a simple mp3 down load yet lacking the player to do it.forget edge speeds.once you have used EVDO speeds there is no going back.compare it to dial up and high speed.treo 700p gives you everything and more when it come's to busness/fun and style.
Im not putting rim down yet some the users users need to wake up not thinking there the king of the hill when it comes to a very simple device.
Im sure i willl get the same mumbo jumbo when it come to safe mail safe mail the blackberry give you safe mail.once again this is bull.The blackberry can be hacked just just like a simple sidekick or a main frame server.

HuwSy
06-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Having a palm (tapwave zodiac) i know the advantages of palm, and having a Bb (7100t) i know the advantages of blackberry. And to be fair i would prefer a palm 700p over an bb 8700 due to its more techieness and functionality, but its biggest downfall is it has an external antenna and a soft touch screen which are potentially vunerable.

As for EDGE and EVDO iv never really used anything on a phone that requires more than a couple of kilo bytes of data knowing how expensive it is over here.