PDA

View Full Version : How does the email work?

InPocket
06-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Ive tried searching..and im new..so dont burn me too bad if this has been discussed :). Does the push email system only work with your blackberry email address..or can I have my graduateinvestors.com email auto pushed to the device in real time?

MikesTechSvcs
06-04-2006, 11:21 AM
If you're using Blackberry Internet Service, you can login to your Carriers blackberry service site. Under profiles you can add additional e-mails in there so they associate themselves with your handheld. Yes, they are real-time.

I have 3 e-mails associated with my Blackberry.

My business e-mail account.
My main ISP account
and a sub ISP account

All of which come in once they hit their respective inboxes.

- MTS

koleary19067
06-04-2006, 11:31 AM
For real time you can forward email to your BB. The BIS is every 15 min it polls for messages.

Winston S.
06-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I think it should be noted that the e-mail in question needs to be used with the POP3 protocol otherwise it won't work with BIS.

MikesTechSvcs
06-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Very good point, Winston. I had that in my mind.. it just didn't come out.

I thought the polling was sooner than that.. cause mine checked very often. I get e-mail after e-mail sometimes. Usually spaced out by like 2 minutes at the most.

*shurgs*

- MTS

Winston S.
06-04-2006, 08:41 PM
I thought polling was sooner also as I usually get e-mail as soon as it hits my inbox on gmail.

Seattle18
06-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Polling on Cingular is about 15 mins. Since T-Mo has BIS 2.0, I don;t know if that goes any faster, hopefully I will knoe first hand this week if/when Cingular updates to 2.0. Regardless, the only way to get it faster is to forward any email addresses you have to your @<hidden> address, then it will be almost instant delivery. Even better is to route all emails through a Gmail address so you can filter out all the unwanted spam, then have the filter forward all remaining email to your BB address, that way you get spam-free personal emails in 2-5 seconds.

greggebhardt
06-05-2006, 05:30 AM
Very good point, Winston. I had that in my mind.. it just didn't come out.

I thought the polling was sooner than that.. cause mine checked very often. I get e-mail after e-mail sometimes. Usually spaced out by like 2 minutes at the most.

*shurgs*

- MTS

Email is only polled every 15 minutes UNTIL you get and respond to an email and then it is check at shorter intervals. This continue until activity stops and it returns to every 15 minutes

digital/blasphemy
06-05-2006, 05:49 AM
T-Mo BIS polling is faster than 15 mins.

around 20 seconds for yahoo, and about 2-5 mins for gmail