PDA

View Full Version : 8700c in your pocket?

webberry
06-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I plan on always keeping a 8700c in my pocket and never using a holster/belt-loop etc..

What is the best case that protects both the screen and keypad while adding the least bulk and adding the least hassle if the the phone needs to be used frequently.
Sena or Krussel flip cases or something else?
I thought of getting just a skin, but those don't protect the keypad at all.
I know you can lock the keypad, but I think the keybad could still get damaged or at least collect a lot of dust and lint under the keys if left uncovered in a pants pocket.

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Maybe something like this (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=33239) would work well for you.

cooperpwc
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
The cheapest solution is to remove the clip from the Launcher (the OEM holster) and use that. That's how I carry the 8700 around my home. It has the sleep magnet and protects the keyboard and screen. Mind you, I still haven't come up with a way to cover the hole where the clip used to be but leaving it open isn't really a problem.

mjustice
06-04-2006, 12:09 PM
To cover the small hole, I actually removed clip and super glued the disk back into the hole. To further protect screen, I used an old palm screen protector and place it in the inside.

Since I did this, I actually ordered a forte case w/o clip to use in pocket as well for a more professional look when traveling for work.

HRom
06-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I use the Fortte STi custome made without the belt hook. Just call them and they will do it for you

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 12:15 PM
How did you guys remove the clip from the OEM holster?

cooperpwc
06-04-2006, 12:26 PM
How did you guys remove the clip from the OEM holster?
Actually , the first two times it came off by accident when I was sitting down in a car. Any leverage will do it. Just grab it and pull it away from the case. It won't break; it's a snap system. You can pull it off and then snap it back together if you want.

CZBB
06-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Invisible sheild

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Invisible sheild

How does that protect the keyboard?

stripesace
06-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Ummm, Fortte has a new case out now, glove fit.

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Ummm, Fortte has a new case out now, glove fit.

Great point, and probably the best option.

I'll be reviewing it soon.

http://www.fortte.com/images/pda-cases/blackberry/8700-series/glove-fit/portada.jpg

pipermalibu
06-04-2006, 05:11 PM
I have been carrying my 8700 in my pocket with the BEST SKINS EVER product. I covers everything (I don't know why you need to cover the keyboard) and works great. However, I am carful not to put keys or change in the same pocket.

cooperpwc
06-04-2006, 05:18 PM
I have been carrying my 8700 in my pocket with the BEST SKINS EVER product. I covers everything (I don't know why you need to cover the keyboard) and works great. However, I am carful not to put keys or change in the same pocket.
Lint bewteen the keys could be an issue. Also (and I think this will be a problem with pocketing the Fortte Glove Fit case too), you must burn the battery out rapidly by constantly activating the backlight. To avoid that you need the sleeper magnet. Even keyboard protection won't do it if you are rubbing against the trackwheel.

webberry
06-04-2006, 05:19 PM

To protect they keys fom getting dirt and lint under them.
Also, if I'm in a hurry and jam the Blackberry into my front jeans pocket and then quickly sit down, I'm concerned about squashing my keypad buttons.
With a cover over the keypad, the keypad will not get crushed or a key held down.

Stinsonddog
06-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I have been using a new sleeve from Gizmoskin. It is flat but has a thin leather strip with a snap if I want to put it on a belt. Works great in the pocket.

http://www.gizmoskin.com/index.php?category=1&subcategory=1&product=43

stripesace
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Good point.... wish there was an end all solution about putting it in your pocket. I wish there was a key sequence you could enter that locked the BB as if it was in the holster, same key sequence takes it out of holster mode.

EricaJ1074
06-04-2006, 07:31 PM
I use the Lock Keypad feature when I put my BB in it's case.

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Good point.... wish there was an end all solution about putting it in your pocket. I wish there was a key sequence you could enter that locked the BB as if it was in the holster, same key sequence takes it out of holster mode.

Agreed.

For me it's the feature I'd like to see added more than anything. Even if someone has to write an application to do it.

It was done for the Treo (called Treo Guard.)

If I could somehow turn off my Blackberry's screen with a key press and not have it come back on until I pressed another key sequence I'd never carry a case again.

This is why I almost always carried my Treo caseless.

As it stands now I fear serious battery loss if I were to carry it naked in my pocket since the screen would be turning on constantly from the trackwheel being moved. Truth be told I honestly don't know how bad the battery loss would really be carrying it this way. I've been meaning to test it out for a day too see. Maybe tomorrow will be the day.

Pizzle
06-04-2006, 07:39 PM
This is an interesting read...

I use various cases/holsters VERY little. I almost exclusively put my 8700c in my pocket. I don't use anything fancy. I just lock the keyboard and slip it in my pocket. No case, no holster, no fancy solution.

Granted, I don't put anything else in that pocket EXCEPT for my BB. I use my other pocket for keys/change, etc. I don't have lint or scratch issues, and I wear jeans, mostly.

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 07:41 PM
So Pizzle can you comment on how your battery reacts on the days you carry it caseless versus the days you carry it in the case?

I don't think the dust, lint etc. is a concern. Often I'll find dust/lint all over my device when it's been in a case, so what's the difference? The key is simply to carry your Blackberry and only your Blackberry alone in the pocket of choice.

Pizzle
06-04-2006, 07:49 PM
I wish I could speak on case vs pocket, but I really only use my holster/cases when I have a) pants that are too "fitted" (like tailored slacks, etc) or b) too much junk to carry. I can only speak on battery life in its current form.

About 90% of my BB use is naked, in my pocket. Wait...so we're clear...the BLACKBERRY is naked. If we're talking about ME, the number is only about 20%. (y)

Anyway, I still get a solid day-and-a-half to two days of battery with pretty heavy use. I'll occasionally see my screen light up, but my pockets aren't traditionally that tight in the pants I usually wear, so keypresses and trackwheel movement aren't really that much of a factor.

I keep endless power sources handy (usbs, chargers, car chargers), so I never find myself in much of a bind, but still don't find myself having to charge it particularly often...

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.

I think I'm going to give it a whirl caseless tomorrow.

I don't want to have to think about re-charging throughout the day. Even though I do keep a car charger and am near power sources often it's just not something I want to have to think about. I definetly need to make it through an entire day on one charge. I do have the extended battery but like the feel of the 8700 with the regular battery better.

I'll try it out tomorrow with no case and see how much battery life I've got at the end of the day.

Typically I have BT on all the time, get about 200 e-mails, use BB Messenger a bit as well as Pocket Day, Verichat and play a few games here and there in a day.

I also don't usually use my BB after 8 PM or so. Since I have PC access at home I'll usually cradle my BB and just use the PC at night, unless it's to use BB Messenger. So in reality I only need about 12 hours of battery life.

Pizzle
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Ah...your results might differ from mine. I'll be interested to hear how the experiment goes.

I have the regular battery, leave BT on the whole time, average about 350-400 e-mails a day, 40-50 SMS/day, and surf the web a decent amount when I'm out of the office. I'm not a huge IM guy (at least not until they come out with a real AIM client, and/or I have enough friends with BBs to justify BB Messenger).

I use mine extensively from about 8am to 1a-2a when I finally go to bed, and have never HAD to charge it during that day. Sometimes I CHOOSE to (like if I know I'm going to be cooped up in my office for a few hours), but even if I'm away from possible power, I have no fear of running out in a 24 hour period.

lgreenberg
06-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Well then based on your usage I can't forsee me having a problem with battery life. :smile:

cooperpwc
06-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I have the regular battery, leave BT on the whole time, average about 350-400 e-mails a day, 40-50 SMS/day, and surf the web a decent amount when I'm out of the office.
So you have enough battery-power for 400 emails a day. But do you have time to breathe? :smile:

Pizzle
06-04-2006, 08:43 PM
LOL. I get a ton that are junk (promo material, e-mails that don't pertain to me this particular time but that I get anyway because I'm on some list within the company, and so on...) so breathing and deleting have the ability to be synonymous. ;-)

stripesace
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
So is the general consensus that a key sequence or third party software might be could be made avail to put the bb into holster mode WITHOUT a holster? I'm curious what happens when the magnets cross each other what happens internally and if there is anyway to recreate that without a magnet. I would 20 bucks for a program like that.

riy
06-05-2006, 05:23 AM
Here's a question for those who carry the bb in pocket. When a phone call comes in and you grab the berry from your pocket to answer, how many times have you inadvertently sent it to voicemail or worse yet, hung up on the caller?

Pizzle
06-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Here's a question for those who carry the bb in pocket. When a phone call comes in and you grab the berry from your pocket to answer, how many times have you inadvertently sent it to voicemail or worse yet, hung up on the caller?

Honestly? None. Occasionally I roll the track wheel when pulling it out of my pocket, but I've never hit the End button and subsequently sent them to VM before. Rolling the trackwheel, however, doesn't hurt anything.

Pizzle
06-06-2006, 09:14 PM
lgreenberg...you try this yet? Anything worth reporting?

lgreenberg
06-07-2006, 05:18 AM
Sure have.

I've been carrying the BB naked for the last few day and am happy to report I do not see ANY DIFFERENCE at all in battery life.

100% of the time when I remove the device from my pocket the screen is off. So it seems that it's not being turned on often in my pocket.

Pizzle
06-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Right on...glad to hear we're having the same experience. :)

EricaJ1074
06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
About 90% of my BB use is naked, in my pocket. Wait...so we're clear...the BLACKBERRY is naked. If we're talking about ME, the number is only about 20%. (y)

LOL

Aroc
06-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Maybe someone can sell us naked magnets so that Crackberry addicts can sew them into their pants/suit pockets. Holster my ***.

FWIW, I keep my 7290 and 8700c in my pocket. Honestly I don't notice any decrease in battery life. I use the 'K' key from the homescreen to lock the keyboard. I mostly wear dress pants. When I'm at work, I keep the work BB in my shirt pocket and my personal BB in my pants pocket. I carry my keys and coins in another pocket.

And no, I've never hung up on a caller to deflected the call to voicemail.

I like keeping it in my pocket better than using a belt holster. I think I was loosing street-cred' in the boardroom by handing a visible holster.

sasquatch
08-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Here's what I do to lock the BB 8700's screen when I put it in my pocket, with a single key press:
I have set the "Front Convenience Key" to "Keyboard Lock". So, after I check my email or end a call, before I put it in my pocket, I simply press the middle convenience key, and that locks the screen.
This prevents anything from happening if keys are accidentally pressed while its in my pocket.

Go to Options...Screen/Keyboard... scroll down to "Front Convenience Key Opens": and change the option to Keyboard Lock.

On the 8700g, in that same Options screen I know you can do the same thing with the left side convenience key, but I prefer a single press of the front middle key.

BBAC
08-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I had my 7290 in my pocket, and I never had any problems with battery life or the wrong buttons being pushed. My problem was when I opened my car door and it closed back on my thigh, thus cracking my screen.... So I bought an 8700 and I put it in the holster and put it in my pocket with the belt clip only being visible outside my pocket. This way the phone and screen is protected and I don't feel dorky with a phone on my belt.