PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 7100x (UK) Pay As You Go

geekboy
06-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi folks,
I just bought myself a brand new Blackberry 7100x on the O2 network (UK) and I was wondering if I would be able to use this to send and recieve emails without signing a contract for the Blackberry Internet Mail Service?

For those not based in the UK a pay as you go sim card is one without a monthly subscription, you simple add credit vouchers when needed. I was told today by O2 that to get push emails I need the above mentioned service which isn't available on Pay As You Go. However I was wondering if I could get my emails another way?

For example I know I could browse to the yahoo webmail site and pickup my email using normal GPRS access surfing webpages. Is it also possible to configure the Blackberry email client to use GPRS data access to download messages from a pop3 account?

Whilst this isn't exactly using Blackberry to it's fullest it is a solution, or is it?

EricaJ1074
06-04-2006, 02:53 PM
You will still need a data package to get email and browse the web.

geekboy
06-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes, my Pay As You Go account has a data package so I can access the internet from my phone using that. However I dson't really want to visit the yahoo site everytime I want to check my emails.

Whilst I know I can't use the normal Blackberry email service which pushes emails to my phone, I would like to have an email client which simply connects to the internet via GPRS and downloads emails from my pop3 email account onto the device.

penguin3107
06-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Yes, my Pay As You Go account has a data package so I can access the internet from my phone using that. However I dson't really want to visit the yahoo site everytime I want to check my emails.

Whilst I know I can't use the normal Blackberry email service which pushes emails to my phone, I would like to have an email client which simply connects to the internet via GPRS and downloads emails from my pop3 email account onto the device.

You NEED a BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN to use any type of data features on the Blackberry. This has been mentioned in these forums no less than 2378 times. End of discussion.

gdpmumin
06-04-2006, 04:23 PM
I actually think penguin3107 low-balled the estimated number of times this issue has been addressed on BlackBerryForums. :-)

There is no way to do what you're wanting to do. We have pay-as-you-go here on this side of the pond, too, and while there are a few folks who claim to be able to operate their BB on a pay-as-you-go basis, generally it's understood that because of it's specialized nature, BBs reqiure full featured, contract plans with a BB data plan. There's no way to skirt around the issue, no way to avoid it, no way to manipulate the system.

In summary, get a BB data plan. Or a different phone.

geekboy
06-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Okay, thanks guys.

Berry One
06-04-2006, 06:17 PM
You NEED a BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN to use any type of data features on the Blackberry. This has been mentioned in these forums no less than 2378 times. End of discussion.

That only means RIM is missing great opportunity by not offering Pay As You Go blackberry packages.

penguin3107
06-05-2006, 08:08 AM
That only means RIM is missing great opportunity by not offering Pay As You Go blackberry packages.

You seriously have no idea how a Blackberry works, do you?

n4wwl
06-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Geekboy -- is your 7100x the same as the 7130g that O2 has just released? They look very similar. Do you know what the differences are?

Thanks.

geekboy
06-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I just unwarpped my 7100x and I'm very happy. Shame I'm going to have to pay a silly contract rate for it. It's going to cost me £15 a month for 5mb (now that's robbery).

aliga
10-24-2006, 09:29 AM
is it possible to use office applications on 7100x? if so where can i get it? thanks