PDA

View Full Version : Email Reciepts

jgarlock
06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
How can I stop my BB from processing read reciepts? I like Outlook 2003, which asks me. I hated 2000 which simply processed them. I dislike that my BB simply processes them.

Ideally, I'd like to be prompted. If not possible, I'd rather never process them. It's no one elses business when I read their messages, heh.

Possible?

cooperpwc
06-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Are you sure that it processes read receipts? I never heard that.

jgarlock
06-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm positive. Perhaps it's only with BES, but I definately give back read reciepts.

cooperpwc
06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm positive. Perhaps it's only with BES, but I definately give back read reciepts.
I suspect then that you are right that it is BES only. There is really no two-way communication on BIS that would allow for that feature (except for the Auto-More function which only applies to long emails and the manual Reconcile Now function which only relates to deleted emails).

nosidam
06-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm positive. Perhaps it's only with BES, but I definately give back read reciepts.The read reciepts are coming from Outlook after the msg was read on the BB and sync'd back to Outlook (assuming your using Outlook/Exchange). I'm not sure if there is a way to turn this off. Will look into it. This is the first time I've heard of it, and I just ran a few tests to see what's what.

I have my Outlook client set to never return receipts.

data1025
06-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I suspect then that you are right that it is BES only. There is really no two-way communication on BIS that would allow for that feature (except for the Auto-More function which only applies to long emails and the manual Reconcile Now function which only relates to deleted emails).

I had my work email send to my BB via the HTTPS OWA setup in the BB. When I would read or delete one of those messages, my exchange inbox would reflect that, so there is a two-way communication through BIS.

Yahoo also does the same. I think the only ones that DONT are POP3.

cooperpwc
06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
There must be some two-way communication on BIS. When I read a message delivered to my BB via the OWA setup, it marks the message read on the exchange server. It also sends the sender a read receipt.

Yahoo via BIS also has two-way communication.
Good point in relation to Yahoo but that is T-Mobile's BIS 2.0 and I don't claim to understand how that works. All I know is that when I open an email on my Blackberry, it does not initiate data communication with BIS and so I don't know how a Read Receipt would be generated. In fact, I would bet that no such receipt is sent. It is protection from notification to spam servers.
I'm arguing from observation here so I admit the possibility that I am wrong. However, I am inclined to agree with nosidam's commment that the read receipt is being generated by synch with Outlook through Microsoft Exchange which also seems consistent with your commment.

data1025
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I wonder if there is a way to turn that off. I just wanted to download my email to my BB from the OWA, and not have it delete or send receipts. We don't have POP3 access setup in the office, so that is not an option. Thats why I stopped using the OWA via BB.

jgarlock
06-06-2006, 01:12 PM
My outlook never processes read reciepts. Is it just safe to say that nobody here knows? heh.

time to call tsupport

gdpmumin
06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
The read reciepts are coming from Outlook after the msg was read on the BB and sync'd back to Outlook (assuming your using Outlook/Exchange). I'm not sure if there is a way to turn this off. Will look into it. This is the first time I've heard of it, and I just ran a few tests to see what's what.

I have my Outlook client set to never return receipts.

Not true. I just received a read receipt from a test message I read via the BB. The read receipt came in a full minute before the message was marked read in Outlook. The lag I'm sure is due to the BES, but this does at least show the read receipt came from the BB, not Outlook.

cooperpwc
06-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Not true. I just received a read receipt from a test message I read via the BB. The read receipt came in a full minute before the message was marked read in Outlook. The lag I'm sure is due to the BES, but this does at least show the read receipt came from the BB, not Outlook.
These are still tests using BES which is an integrated two-way system. Perhaps the receipt is being generated at the server level which is where BES resides. If so, I suspect that your IT department can turn that feature off.
To clarify my very limited assertion (which may or may not be relevant to many of you), if someone sends you an email to your blackberry.net account through BIS, no read receipt is generated. I am prepared to be shown the error of my ways but I doubt that I correctly will be.

cooperpwc
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Just tested it with an Outlook email requesting receipt from my Blackberry and immediately got back a very interesting response:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Your message has been successfully relayed to the following recipients, but the requested delivery status notifications may not be generated by the destination.

.....@<hidden>

gdpmumin
06-06-2006, 02:34 PM
These are still tests using BES which is an integrated two-way system. Perhaps the receipt is being generated at the server level which is where BES resides. If so, I suspect that your IT department can turn that feature off.
To clarify my very limited assertion (which may or may not be relevant to many of you), if someone sends you an email to your blackberry.net account through BIS, no read receipt is generated. I am prepared to be shown the error of my ways but I doubt that I correctly will be.

I wasn't questioning your assertion at all. I agree that it appears to be a BES thing, not a BIS thing. nosidam had said the read receipts are coming from Outlook after the message is marked as read in Outlook. I tested it and that's not how it happened when I did. I received the read receipt before the message was marked read.

Did I misunderstand your reply?

cooperpwc
06-06-2006, 02:53 PM
I wasn't questioning your assertion at all. I agree that it appears to be a BES thing, not a BIS thing. nosidam had said the read receipts are coming from Outlook after the message is marked as read in Outlook. I tested it and that's not how it happened when I did. I received the read receipt before the message was marked read.

Did I misunderstand your reply?
No I think that we are on the same page. I wasn't intending to contradict you either. Just pointing out that BES is BES and BIS is BIS.
What we can all agree on: Read receipts are evil!

nosidam
06-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Not true. I just received a read receipt from a test message I read via the BB. The read receipt came in a full minute before the message was marked read in Outlook. The lag I'm sure is due to the BES, but this does at least show the read receipt came from the BB, not Outlook.What I meant was that the read receipt is generated by Outlook when Outlook sees that the message has been changed, but the time it was read on the BB is the time that is displayed. To explain it in better English:

I get an e-mail at 11:00am. I read it on my BB at 11:00am. Nothing happens for a little while. At 11:15am, the BB finishes it's background Inbox reconciliation. At that time, the message in Outlook is marked as read, and the person who sent it gets the read receipt. They get the read receipt at 11:15am, but inside the read receipt, it says that I read the msg at 11:00am, which is the time I read it on the BB. So Outlook generates the receipt when the msg status changed, but it uses the time that it was actually read on the BB.

This has been my experience with testing in my environment. Not sure about others and if they will see it different, but I assume it acts differently depending on BES/server/client configs.

Already have a call into tsupport for this one. Will update when I have more info.