PDA

View Full Version : BB Messenger

DavidNorman
06-05-2006, 03:09 PM
can BB messenger be used even without BIS / BES?

is it free?

does it work?

jdjleo
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
As long as you have a data service for the BB your messenger will work. Buts its gonna be expensive. BIS/BES has nothing to do with it

cooperpwc
06-05-2006, 03:12 PM
It doesn't really have anything to do with BIS insofar as it is a PIN-based system, but you need a data plan which means by definition you also have BIS and/or BES.
It costs only you data usage which is minimal. EDIT: I suppose that if you use it a lot, it could get expensive....
It works very well indeed.

tonydrone
06-05-2006, 09:06 PM
As long as you have a data service for the BB your messenger will work. Buts its gonna be expensive. BIS/BES has nothing to do with it

how exactly does it get billed?

finch
06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
It counts against your data usage.
how exactly does it get billed?

Seattle18
06-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Since most of us have unlimited data, so it's basically free.

tonydrone
06-05-2006, 09:16 PM
It counts against your data usage.

So BB's Unlimited data package would result in NO extra charges, correct ?

ViolaBerry
06-06-2006, 06:39 AM
So BB's Unlimited data package would result in NO extra charges, correct ?

Yes that's correct. BB Messenger won't be charged like SMS. I know a lot of people were disappointed that the Instant Messaging program pre-loaded on 8700 is not exactly free.. their messages are charged like SMS. I did email to T-Mobile Support to let them know that it's a bad move. They should make their Instant Messaging program free to use for whoever is on unlimited data plan. Hopefully the management will reconsider.

hf1khal
06-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Yes that's correct. BB Messenger won't be charged like SMS. I know a lot of people were disappointed that the Instant Messaging program pre-loaded on 8700 is not exactly free.. their messages are charged like SMS. I did email to T-Mobile Support to let them know that it's a bad move. They should make their Instant Messaging program free to use for whoever is on unlimited data plan. Hopefully the management will reconsider.

I doubt they will do so as they don't want to let go of badly needed money. They might do it if they want to be more competetive and to pull in more customers and I also doubt Cingular will do so too. The way to get around it is by using a third party program such as IM+. I have been using it and could say that so far it has more than payed for itself.

Ms. Mavis
06-06-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a 8700g and I don't have the icon for the BB instant messanger, how do I get that to pop up?? All I have is the one for OZ instant messaging.

allenranger2
06-06-2006, 07:58 AM
go here --> http://www.blackberry.com/messenger

You can install it OTA from your browser, or from your PC, but it has to be plugged in via USB.

Tennvol
06-06-2006, 08:16 AM
So let me get this straight (brain lock at the moment). If I install BB Messenger on my Tmobile 8700g I can AOL/Yahoo/Etc and it will not be charged against my 300 text msgs a month?

cooperpwc
06-06-2006, 09:24 AM
So let me get this straight (brain lock at the moment). If I install BB Messenger on my Tmobile 8700g I can AOL/Yahoo/Etc and it will not be charged against my 300 text msgs a month?
Nope. Messenger is Blackberry to Blackberry (Peer-to-Peer) only. It has nothing to do with AOL/Yahoo etc.
But you are right that it has nothing to do with text messaging either.

Seattle18
06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Unfortunately BBMessenger is for use between BlackBerry users only - but man does it work great. Very reliable, easy, and useful.

rdizzle707
07-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey i think you should call t-mobile again because i just got off the phone with them and they told me that PIN messenging from the bb messenger uses SMS. i don't use a lot of SMS and i got charged for going over my 300 txt messages. t-mobile said that my 300 txt messages was all gone. that past month i was using the bb messenger a whole lot so it does show that bb messenging does count as SMS for t-mobile. if you guys do have the unlimited txt messages your safe, but for other folks that just have the 300 txt messages watch out!

wrxboi
07-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Hello strangers!!!!