PDA

View Full Version : APPLE / RIM Combine forces?

test
06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/05/apple-and-rim-partnering-for-appleberry-device/

Could just be fallout from the "multimedia blackberry" comments

apple85
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
I think it's highly un likely that Apple is going to use a RIM product, especially considering recently apple applied for patents for a couple of particular cellular device names or something (I'd have to google to find the story and I'm to lazy) I think Apple would make their device more consumer oriented than RIM is right now and Apple would include Multimedia,Camera,Wifi,BT Exchange etc out of the box...

jibi
06-05-2006, 05:34 PM
i'd think that if there were ANY partnership, it might be for device support on OSX or iTunes support on the multimedia device rather than a Mobile MacOS running on the handheld. just my opinion.

rambo47
06-05-2006, 06:25 PM
I think any partnership would involve some Apple branding of a Blackberry, made completely by RIM of course. And some built-in functionallity with Mac OSX. Makes sense. Apple gets some exposure in the wireless data arena while RIM gets some consumer exposure.

I've been whining for some time about Blackberries not having expandable memory or a camera. Perfect chance for RIM to release a model with these two features. I'm all over it if they make this!

pjdrsd
06-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I think the first thing that would need to happen is the development of a way for Macs to "talk" to Blackberries better. Part of the problem is that there are no real Enterprise Mac email servers that could take advantage of RIM's best qualities - namely wireless sync of email and PIM and push email. Exchange, Lotus, etc are all very PC-centric. Kerio and Communigate are out there, but none seem to be as ubiquitous in the Mac community as Exchange et al, and all require some third party workaround to get the best qualities from the 'Berry.

That said, everything I've read has pointed to the fact that the failure of the ROKR was in large part due to the lack of collaboration in design between Apple and Motorola. Also, Apple seems to have cornered the market on cool and effective design, while RIM has the software that people want. Simply adding iTunes to a Blackberry or just adding some kind of email function to an Apple device don't seem to be worth it. Like so many Apple products, it would have to be (or at least should be) something completely out of the box.

Personally, I don't need or want a camera or iTunes on my phone, but what I do want is to have a Blackberry, work on Macs, and stay as far away as possible from PCs.

test
06-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree its unlikely...Wasn't apple looking to buy the company tivo? or just partner up with them? haha have to love hype