06-05-2006, 08:54 PM
http://63.241.153.180/coverageviewer/B2B.html

RemyJ
06-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Cool! Thanks.

snowskier79
06-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Good find fellow Houstonian!

One particular area shows Cingular coverage but I drop a call every time I drive by 610 at Braeswood! Stinks but I am reconnected and never drop the remaining call all the way home or whatever my destination might be.

stripesace
06-05-2006, 09:46 PM
You know Houston people, smartest people in the world, except for the few who don't seem to have a brain the second they get on the road.

Dropped call could be switching to saturated tower or something. Thats a fairly busy area.

whoscalling
06-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Now if they only showed where the towers are...

stripesace
06-05-2006, 10:10 PM
No kidding, I can kind of gather....

Only Cingular has that tool that shows you where the tools are. It shows my girlfriends house as having good signal, when its closer to NO signal.

whoscalling
06-05-2006, 10:23 PM
No kidding, I can kind of gather....

Only Cingular has that tool that shows you where the tools are. It shows my girlfriends house as having good signal, when its closer to NO signal.

All the coverage maps I have seen from the providers (specifically when looking for coverage in areas outside the common areas covered by most carriers) should have a disclaimer stating that coverage shown on map is only when the wind blows in a certain direction. LOL

stripesace
06-05-2006, 10:26 PM
ahahaha

jdjleo
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Only Cingular has that tool that shows you where the towers are. It shows my girlfriends house as having good signal, when its closer to NO signal.

Thats the MTI map tool. it actually shows where our towers are. We are NEVER supposed to show that to anyone not employed by Cingular. The locations of the towers are kept confidential due to security issues (vandalism, terrorism)

It is usually very accurate! Barring physical barriers and terrain. If you live in a hole between 2 hills and are out of LOS for the signal, the map tool isnt going to realy know that *shrug*

But its one of the best tools we have!

byron
06-06-2006, 06:48 AM
great bookmark material. thnx.

takeshi
06-06-2006, 08:01 AM
All the coverage maps I have seen from the providers (specifically when looking for coverage in areas outside the common areas covered by most carriers) should have a disclaimer stating that coverage shown on map is only when the wind blows in a certain direction. LOL
That's exactly why you have to choose based on "actual coverage" and not "coverage map coverage". TMO's personal coverage map was the same with coverage at my home. Should be good but it's unusable. Always test out coverage during the carrier's trial period as fully as you can.

phonemonkey
06-07-2006, 03:06 AM
The locations of the towers are kept confidential due to security issues (vandalism, terrorism)

Between towers that are plainly obvious (fake trees, antennae visible from the roof of a building, etc.), and assorted government filings that are public information, none of that info is really confidential. It may be a hassle to track down, but it's definitely no secret.

digital/blasphemy
06-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Found this while browsing cingular's website as well

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/images/maps/nat_gprs.gif

EDGE/GPRS coverage map, although you can't zoom it, which is a damn shame

whoscalling
06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Yea, I have used this one http://www.cellreception.com/towers/index.html but I don't know how up to date it is.