PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID Problem with 8700g

jzthom165
06-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I just upgraded from a 7100T to an 8700g and have a strange caller id problem. My home phone is programmed to Call Forward No Answer to my Blackberry. When I use my 7100T, the original caller's phone number shows up on my blackberry screen. When I use my 8700, it always shows my home phone number. This has me stumped since I would like to know who is calling before answering. The only difference that I can think of is that the 7100T is running BB 4.0 instead of the 4.1 on my 8700.

I just tested this again this morning and the 7100 shows the original caller where the 8700 always shows my home number.

Any ideas?

P.S. I did do a search and did not find anything related to this in any forum.

mattcp67
06-06-2006, 08:02 PM
I work for a phone company doing 5E switch programming. This issue is at the signalling level in the switch of your home dial tone provider and how it hands the call over to tmobile. The SS7 signalling contains ALL the information for the call but only your home number is being passed on. It really isn't a problem at the switch level, I understand it does inconvenience you though. If you think about it logically, the person is calling your home number, and your home number is forwarding the call - so really it is your home number calling you. You may find that sometimes your home number passes through and sometimes the actual calling party number will pass through depending on the call routing and signalling through different switches. I am way oversimplifying things here.

jzthom165
06-07-2006, 07:38 AM
That makes sense to me but what I don't get is why it works on the 7100 but not on the 8700. It has to be something to do with how the 7100 processes and displays the caller id info. The 8700 must process it differently.

I tried calling T-mobile and basically did not get any response that made sense. How does one contact Blackberry directly? I went on their website and could not find a way to send an email directly to Blackberry support.