PDA

View Full Version : Who here carries a secondary phone, and why?

h-town8
06-06-2006, 02:10 PM
In reading some of the threads up here the last couple of days I've noticed that a few people say they carry a "secondary" phone in addition to their 8700.

I'm just curious as to why.

Is it just to separate your personal and business phone? Is it because you like having the latest toys (who doesn't!). Or, more relevantly, is it because the 8700 is in some way inadequate when used as a phone (some on the street say it's a great organizer/e-mailer but mediocre phone).

I have no desire to carry two devices, hence my desire for a smartphone, so again I'm just curious to know as I make my decision on the next big cell phone purchase.

Thanks,
Chris

mas90guru
06-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Moto v3i - for pictures.

morser
06-06-2006, 02:16 PM
My Blackberry will be on Cingular for work, but I will be living in Canada so i'll have to have a separate Rogers phone for a Canadian number.

NJBlackBerry
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
I carry a fairly old quad band Motorola phone when I travel out of the country. It is unlocked so I can use a local (cheap) SIM card in it for local calls... Just to save some money.

Domestically I only have my 8700g.

MrKyoo
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
For more info - http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=7864&highlight=phones

-MrKyoo

rollerbones
06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I have a work 7100i for work and a 8700C for myself. I also have a work 7290 I use once in a while.

lgreenberg
06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I just picked up a Black Razr yesterday.

Maybe it's buyer's remorse but I'm now wondering why. I bought it thinking I'd carry it on weekends or at times when I just wanted a slimmer device in my pocket but I simply can't imagine being out and without my BB.

I'll probably keep the Razr since it wasn't too expensive but I'm now thinking it won't get much use.

JerryD
06-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't get it, but a good friend has both a cell and berry. His reasons:

He'll never be without BOTH a phone and email,
Gives him a backup phone
Can leave his Berry - and therefore work - at home

J

prolepsis
06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
My reasons are easy.
- Voice dialing - not yet on BBerry. I use Voice dialing + a Sony Ericsson BT headset when I'm driving or walking around--don't have to look down and either hit speedial or look up a number
- I'm already on a cell phone contract for my Nokia
- I like the feel of metal phones
- We don't have number portability in Canada (yet)
- Because I'm silly :oops:

I use the BBerry for data only. If I didn't have my cell phone first, I would've used the BBerry as a phone + data device.
Has nothing to do with the voice quality of the BBerry, at least not in my case.

Perhaps some other folks might also find the integrated cameras in their phones useful (I don't).

gadgetjunkies
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
I have a Black RAZR that is for work. The 8700c is mine all mine.

jdjleo
06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Im employed by Cingular so i have 3 phone lines at no cost *grin*

I carry a v3 for when im going "out" i dont wanna carry my BB when im in a club or bar. i like the slimness of the RAZR. Phone, ID and credit card all in my back pocket, need nothing else =)

68watford
06-06-2006, 07:16 PM
I carry one, but a friend carries both a phone and BB to be able to send email/IM during conf calls.

RoadRider
06-06-2006, 07:45 PM
On the weekend and some evenings I need a break from "convergence". So, I have a Slvr on my family plan that woks out great. Sometimes I fwd my BB calls to the Slvr number, but don't have to deal with email.

Dubdub
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I have a Cingular BB and a Verizon E815. The BB is th eprimary. The E is for when I am in areas of no Cingular service, like up in the mountain of New England.

mjustice
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Is there a charge when you forward your BB calls to your SLVR on the cingular plan?

zx6racer
06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
My main phone is a Nextel I930. I like toys so thats why I have 2 phones. I got my first BB as a toy and now I cant live with out it. Im on my 3rd BB and everytime Nextel has a new phone thats better than the one I have I get it. I cant go anywhere with out my phones. LOL

RoadRider
06-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Is there a charge when you forward your BB calls to your SLVR on the cingular plan?

None.

joginder
06-06-2006, 10:13 PM
I carry two phone and BB.. my fone has unlimited plan from ATT and bb is from t-mo because they the best not only cheaper. cingular will not make any deal to give me voice and data

swwang
06-06-2006, 11:27 PM
I am in Beijing and carry two phones:
1. Cingular BB for corporate e-mail and romaing US number
2. Treo 650 for local calls and Pleco Dictionary for Chinese (Palm application)
If I could get all functionalities in one phone I would. I also found switching SIM cards a real pain. Much simpler to just have two phones.

Scott

phonemonkey
06-07-2006, 02:51 AM
The 8700c for everything but Nextel direct connect, and a Moto i560 for that. Gave up on Nextel for reliable data and texting a while ago.

h-town8
06-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Obviously a lot of different reasons that I hadn't considered.

I do kinda like the idea of having a Razor to slip in the back pocket on weekends, etc.

I am happy to hear though that's it not a functionality issue with the 8700, but more circumstantial as to why some are carrying 2 phones.

Thanks again.

stripesace
06-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm looking at adding another line to my family plan just to get the discount on a second phone. An extra 10 bucks a month aint bad, and I would probably still use both lines.

zarza
06-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I went from 2 phones to 3, and back to 2.

I had a T-Mobile SIM provided by work, the 8700g was my personal phone.
I then made the 8700g data-only and got a Sprint A900 for my phone service so I could easily leave the BB at home, so then I had 3, which really sucked at work. I now have converged the Sprint line onto a 7130e, and will be dropping the 8700g service. It comes out less per month, plus Sprint allows tethering at no cost, which will be great for when I am back on the road. I still have the work SIM in a Samsung E880 right now.

nuopus
06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
In reading some of the threads up here the last couple of days I've noticed that a few people say they carry a "secondary" phone in addition to their 8700.

I'm just curious as to why.

Is it just to separate your personal and business phone? Is it because you like having the latest toys (who doesn't!). Or, more relevantly, is it because the 8700 is in some way inadequate when used as a phone (some on the street say it's a great organizer/e-mailer but mediocre phone).

I have no desire to carry two devices, hence my desire for a smartphone, so again I'm just curious to know as I make my decision on the next big cell phone purchase.

Thanks,
Chris

I teach at a local college and need to be open so that my students can get a hold of me or I can get a hold of them. There are no phones in the classroom. Reason for BlackBerry is to have a separate number for students and staff (work reasons) as well as keep track of tons of work related email. My other mobile is for personal usage.

I dare not give my personal phone to students for obvious reasons.

Jared
06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I have two phone as well... MY 8700g w/ TMO for work and my Verizon Samsung a890. I'm sorry but Verizon's service is far superior to that of T-Mobile. Plus, as said before, I can leave my work at home!

EricaJ1074
06-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Picking up a small TracFone for minutes only as I want to continue using the BlackBerry for data only plus I can't carry the BB everywhere so I need a smaller phone for travelling. Although I may activate my 7100t for voice only on an additional line LOL I have a 7730 but I don't like the idea of talking on a flat pancake LMAO

bigdaadio
06-07-2006, 05:10 PM
I carry 2 phones because the audio(voice) quality of my 8700 is garbage. Are other users finding that the 8700 has NO noise cancelling at all? If I am in a car with moderate road noise or in a slightly loud public gathering place the phone portion of the 8700 is JUNK. I have talked with a few other 8700 users who experience the same results. Would someone who has an 8700 that they are happy with be willing to give me a call so I can hear how your audio sounds?
Pin me at 203C5B5D with your number or I will send back mine whichever you prefer....
Thanks
Bigdaadio

rjhouck
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I carry 2 phones because the audio(voice) quality of my 8700 is garbage. Are other users finding that the 8700 has NO noise cancelling at all? If I am in a car with moderate road noise or in a slightly loud public gathering place the phone portion of the 8700 is JUNK. I have talked with a few other 8700 users who experience the same results. Would someone who has an 8700 that they are happy with be willing to give me a call so I can hear how your audio sounds?
Pin me at 203C5B5D with your number or I will send back mine whichever you prefer....
Thanks
Bigdaadio

bigdaadio, I completely agree with you. The BB 8700 has NO noise cancelling at all. I do a lot of driving and people always complained of the background noise. The plantronics 645 helps quite a bit but there is still noise in the background.

My friend has a Razr and i cannot tell he is driving in a car when I call him. I may have to buy a Razr and carry two phones but i hate the idea.

bacco007
06-08-2006, 03:15 AM
I have 3 phones :)

Primary - Motorola v3 (on Telstra GSM)
Secondary - :bb: 7730, hopefully 8700c tomorrow (on Vodafone GSM)
Tertiary - Motorola a840 (on Telstra CDMA)

Reasons? - I went to Blackberry earlier this year, but the voice costs on my Telstra 2in1 (CDMA & GSM) plan is cheaper then on vodafone

Winston S.
06-08-2006, 11:01 AM
I actually carry my 8700g and a separate PDA because I don't find the PIM and third party apps for the BB to be sufficient.

Donna
06-08-2006, 11:04 AM
I currently carry 3 BlackBerrys:

7130e and 7105t for work
7520 for personal

longshot
06-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I carry a T-Mobile 8700 and a Verizon RAZR for voice. Reason Blackberrys suck for voice

ndub33
06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I have my 7290 and an old Nokia 3660 that I keep stored to use as backups, but my 7100t is my primary device.

Tennvol
06-08-2006, 12:02 PM
TMobile 8700g and a Verizon cell phone. Smaller cell phone is better when I go mountain biking. I dont mind if I can't get emails but I always need to be able to make a phone call.

Bennett5000
06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Does everyone use a separate phone number? So you have 2 or 3 different phone numbers?

wlriv
06-08-2006, 12:45 PM
i carry two cells - one for each company i am involved with.

8700 is a tmo, and for my clothing business
a900 is a sprint, and is for the consumer reporting business

mobilecontrol
06-08-2006, 12:53 PM
My queston is, if you have more than one cell phone...why the hell do you have different service providers? I have 3 phones, all T-Mobile...I don't need to have T-Mobile, Sprint, Verzion, etc. That makes no sense to me, especially when you can just purchase any unlocked phones you want online if you need different shapes and sizes or features for different purposes.

Donna
06-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I carry a BlackBerry for each vendor we support - Verizon, T-Mobile, NEXTEL. Makes it easier for troubleshooting and user training.

Winston S.
06-08-2006, 01:27 PM
My queston is, if you have more than one cell phone...why the hell do you have different service providers? I have 3 phones, all T-Mobile...I don't need to have T-Mobile, Sprint, Verzion, etc. That makes no sense to me, especially when you can just purchase any unlocked phones you want online if you need different shapes and sizes or features for different purposes.
One reason could be for coverage. If you were to wander into an area with no T-mobile coverage none of your phones would work whereas someone with two different service providers could have at least one working phone.

wlriv
06-08-2006, 02:51 PM

ive had sprint for the last couple of years.

needed a BB (had a treo 650 that was too buggy), fell in love with the 8700 (sprint doesnt offer it), and the rest, as they say - is history

No Longer Registered.
06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't carry anything except my 8700g. Heck I don't even carry a purse or a wallet when I go somewhere. And because of that, I had to ask for a second copy of my driver's license that I can stick in my car without needing to transfer it.

I thought that since I am bringing my "Calculator", I wouldnt have room to hold anything else. And I always find people who have pagers, cellphones, pda all at the same time as like "Walking Store Display" you find at the malls.
:-(

quillhill
06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I personally at this point have four handsets...a Blackberry 8700c, a Nokia 6030, a SE w600 (my previous primary phone) and an unlocked Sharp TM 150.
My husband has an unlocked, unbranded cosmic blue RAZR and his previous phone, a Samsung x497, is sitting around unused. So, all told, there are six phones in my house.

Now, I took the Sharp, the Blackberry and the SE with me to Germany a couple weeks ago. I handed the Sharp to my father in law and used the Berry and the SE. Mostly the Berry, actually, since I think I'd die without it.

I have a Cingular post-paid Family Plan, me and the hubby, then I also have a T-Mobile pre-paid line that I got just cuz. I'm probably going to start handing that out to work sources and carry both phones. Sometimes, as a journalist, giving my personal cell phone to people is a really bad idea. I don't like getting calls at 8 a.m. on Sunday. Or 11 p.m. on Tuesday.

I'm very surprised by the audio quality of the BB. It's not, you know, a Moto, but it serves me just fine as a primary phone. And others who've used it had no complaints about audio. My father in law, who has significant hearing loss (20-year firefighter...sirens blew it out), had no trouble using my 8700. The only thing people say when they use my phone is, "Holy crap, this thing is scary complicated. Here, here, take it back before I break it!"

My father in law carries two phones AND a pager. He has his work issued line, his personal line and the pager, for overtime alerts. It's crazy. Both phones are on Verizon, so he had to leave them at home while we were in Germany. Ha ha!

johnwolmer@hotmail.com
06-08-2006, 06:34 PM
I carry a blackberry 8700 and a sony ericsson cell phone for a simple reason. My cell phone runs on the Fido network where my $70 per month voice package gives me unlimited airtime, 800 minutes of no-charge long distance throughout north america, unlimited no-charge incoming no matter where I am in Canada and unlimited roaming on the Rogers network. No doubt somebody will be willing to match this once number portability comes in which point I will be back to one device. My 8700r is on a data plan only.

Xjett
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I carry the 8700c on cingular but I carry a SLVR L7 when I want something slimmer. However I have had so many problems with it I am considering another second phone.

glebens
06-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I work for the US Government in Washington DC and carry two devices: A Blackberry 7290 (Cingular) and a Verizon LG VX 4650 phone. The reasons are simple: 1. Redundancy - the Fed. Gov't is big on that. 2. The phone on the 7290 doesn't work all that well in the US, but seem to work better overseas. I forward the BB to the Verizon when I am in the US and reverse the forward when overseas, so people can always reach wherever I am.

:bb:
Cheers!

mobilecontrol
06-08-2006, 09:02 PM
One reason could be for coverage. If you were to wander into an area with no T-mobile coverage none of your phones would work whereas someone with two different service providers could have at least one working phone.

If it happens that often, they should just get a satellite phone.

jlb
06-08-2006, 11:19 PM
I only carry a secondary phone with me if I want a line and I don't want to be disturbed with email or any other online content. Even than though I do have my bb in my car, or some where near to where I am if I need it.

nuopus
06-08-2006, 11:27 PM

Reason is obvious ... a personal phone for the state where you live ... but when you travel on business you may need a phone service with better roaming capability.

nuopus
06-08-2006, 11:32 PM
If it happens that often, they should just get a satellite phone.

You obviously don't travel on business or keep personal/business separate. I teach at a college. I NEED a separate phone for students and staff to get a hold of me and email for exchange servers at school. I dare not give my personal phone to students.

I may start doing seminars soon. I will not carry two sattelite phones for both work and personal use. In my case it does not make sense to have one phone.

EGottlieb
06-09-2006, 01:20 AM
I carry a fairly old quad band Motorola phone when I travel out of the country. It is unlocked so I can use a local (cheap) SIM card in it for local calls... Just to save some money.

Domestically I only have my 8700g.

I have a similar situation, where I spend 2 weeks a month in Asia, and the rest in the US. Since my T-Mobile BB won't work in Korea or Japan, I carry a 3G phone with a Singapore SIM that will work US and all of Asia. It gets better Asian roaming rates as well...

I give everyone my Singapore number since I can receive those calls anywhere, and many people calling me don't know where I am. When I am in the US I use my BB to make phone calls. Of course I use the BB for data everywhere (except Korea and Japan) as well.

A bit of a pain to carry both, as the phone isn't so small either. I would be real happy if they came out with a 3G blackberry that accepted 2 SIM cards!

Dizco
06-09-2006, 03:16 AM
8700 tmobile - data only
870 nextel - free unlimited incoming calls , dc , m2m & nights/wkend @<hidden> 6pm

I carry two devices for the simple fact of I dnt like depending on one device for evrything .. Example if u only have a BB for evrything wht happens if u lose,drop or break the device..tht means u lose evrything in one shot & vice versa until a replacement comes around .. So I carry two as a bkup for the other device , plus u cnt beat nextels plan w/incoming calls & I do receive a lot of calls .. Also w/2 devices I can talk on one phone & still read/reply bk to emails or aol instant messenger ..
They suit my purposes ..

BBAdmin
06-09-2006, 03:31 AM
I don't see the point having two devices - it's just more to lug around. Plus I love the fact that if I lose my BB then I've still got everything backed up in my Outlook contacts. A few years ago I would have considered it, but the phone side of BlackBerry is so much better now than it was before, there's no reason not to use it for voice.

EricaJ1074
06-09-2006, 03:49 AM
Oh and I forgot one other reason for getting a second phone LOL avoiding an ANNOYING ex who just won't get the idea we are over.

digital/blasphemy
06-09-2006, 04:14 AM
Oh and I forgot one other reason for getting a second phone LOL avoiding an ANNOYING ex who just won't get the idea we are over.

I had unconditional call forwarding to voicemail set on my 7105t for the longest time a few months ago for the exact same reason

EricaJ1074
06-09-2006, 04:18 AM
That's a good idea LOL Thanks

sblair203
06-09-2006, 06:11 AM
One for business, the other for business and leisure - fo' sheezi :o)

Pin: 23D52B26

(:o) Pin me ya'll , what's going on?

kitmoni
06-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks
Bigdaadio

Here, here!!! I'm trying to determine if it's ALL 8700's, or just the "c" that I have. If it is all 8700s then I will gladly bump back to the 7290. The 8700 screen is nice, but my employees immediately noticed the terrible call quality when I moved to the 8700 from Sprint. Has anyone heard from RIM re:8700 call quality??

bigdaadio
06-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Obviously a lot of different reasons that I hadn't considered.

I do kinda like the idea of having a Razor to slip in the back pocket on weekends, etc.

I am happy to hear though that's it not a functionality issue with the 8700, but more circumstantial as to why some are carrying 2 phones.

Thanks again.

bigdaadio
06-09-2006, 09:32 AM
You may have missed some posts, but, malke sure you try out the 8700's "phone" before even leaving the store
I have gotten replies from many people who have 8700's and aren't happy at all with the voice quality.

Your milage may vary

snip....
I am happy to hear though that's it not a functionality issue with the 8700,snip---.

Bennett5000
06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
This is getting spooky....

Aroc
06-09-2006, 10:32 AM
One personal BB and one corporate BB. I like to separate work and personal equipment.

narbeauchamp
06-10-2006, 09:48 AM
At any given time I may be carrying anywhere from 1-4 phones.The current line up includes a Treo 650,RAZR,8700g and i830.
The 8700g is used primarily for data/txt.Treo 650 is my personal line (I still like the Palm OS for my PDA use,if I weren't carrying the Treo,I'd probably be carrying a cell phone and a Palm OS PDA-so this does help).The RAZR is generally for when I don't feel like carrying the 650 (or the batteries have run out),since most people have that number-and also for overseas travel.And the i830 is one of my corporate phones-on Nextel's unlimited calling plan (before the price doubled).

I don't have any problems using the 8700 as a phone,in fact I use it frequently to conduct conference calls-as I love how loud the speakerphone is.I like to keep business and personal seperate-makes things much easier.

The only problem is that when choosing to carry one I find myself always checking messages on the other (I sometimes don't like to forward between the phones -as there are times you don't want certain people to be able to reach you and would rather they left a message rather than be caught off guard )

egale
06-10-2006, 09:55 AM
I carry the Razr & Blackberry. I got the Blackberry after but the Razr call clarity beats the 8700 by a mile.

nuopus
06-11-2006, 12:50 AM
I don't see the point having two devices - it's just more to lug around. Plus I love the fact that if I lose my BB then I've still got everything backed up in my Outlook contacts. A few years ago I would have considered it, but the phone side of BlackBerry is so much better now than it was before, there's no reason not to use it for voice.

LOL You would in my position. I love to give phone number to students so they can get a hold of me ... to tell me when they arent going to be in class and what not.

BUT. It only takes you giving out your personal phone number (the one you check even on weekends - F-S) once to realize that it was a bad idea. Students asking you for Unix tech support questions for their weekend jobs, the begging student who thinks they should have a higher grade because it was not his fault he was having a hangover a day before test, the one who is mad because you failed him/her and the ones that just simply want to talk because you are his/her role model all of a sudden.

That and more will make you wish you had a separate phone number for personal usage that carries throughout the weekend and one for work where you only have it on for the work days.

earpon
06-11-2006, 08:49 AM
I have my BB 8700g that I use for work and of course, every day of my work week. I also have an HTC Wizard a.k.a. T-Mobile MDA Vario (5.0) that I transferred my home phone number to and I use it as my weekend phone or vacation phone.

clarity
06-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I currently have the 8700r, and I'm considering buying a Motorola L7 from my rogers friend. I personally would like to use the L7 for when I go out to events with friends and find the blackberry a little to big to carry with me.

barjohn
06-11-2006, 06:14 PM
You might want to consider the Moto Q. Slim and great phone along with email, camera and music.

DuckWingDuck
06-11-2006, 08:09 PM
I carry the berry during the week and a razr on the weekend when I'm out with my girlfriend as she doesn't allow me to work when I'm with her.

h-town8
06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Indeed, it does seem as though some are having some "issues" with using the 8700 as their primary phone.

On the one hand I like the idea of having a "weekend" phone that I can just slip into the pocket when I'm heading to Home Depot, etc. On the other hand, (a) to me that kinda defeats the purpose of having an "all in one device" and (b) I really don't want to shell out $$ for two phones.

As one poster suggested I will try out the 8700 in the store and make a decision. I'm still going back and forth between TMO and Cingular; since each have return policies though I guess I'll be OK if I do purchase the 8700 and don't like the form factor on the phone.

Decisions decisions...

Dylan Trott
07-15-2006, 06:29 PM
I use my BB as my main phone. But I kept my little dinky LG phone for when i go bike riding or say to the beach. Kind of a back up phone basically. I just swap the SIM in and out of each.

BBJunkie
07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

In the beginning, I too carried two phones. But man, what a pain that was. To carry two phones is just not a good look for me.

RydeWitM3
07-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I carry two phones:
Sprint-Samsung Blade
T-Mobile-8700G
Reasons:
T-mobile coverage isnt as good as Sprint. Sprint does not have a 8700 series BB yet. I really would love a UMTS, so that I can receive email while im on the phone, because my line with Sprint is my business line, and I'm on it alot, so it would defeat the purpose of PUSH, if im constantly on the phone.

MERK350Z
07-16-2006, 11:35 AM
i have the 9500 with blackberry software on it always in my car incase i ever lose the blackberry or the battery dies or i get mad and just slam the blackberry up against a wall :). "i think if everyone broke someting once in a while it might be a great world"

webcash
07-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I am a gadget junkie and as a result i carry two three or even four phones lol.I love my bb but i also love my treo 650.Then again im quite attached to my nokia n80 for pics and i use a windows mobile pda phone for podcasts and websuring as i think the browsers on the bb are very poor

Peter

FightingDevil
07-16-2006, 08:55 PM
I carry 2...my 8700c (T-Mobile) is my personal phone and berry! Work blocks our personal webmail, so I have my personal emails through my 8700. I'm also a volunteer firefighter and Nextel is HUGE amoungst us...it's a secondary (non-official) form of fireground communications!! I put a prepaid Boost Mobile SIM in my i830 and I'm off...just a buck a day that I use it....

This M.O. works great for me! YMMV, of course!! :)

MoralityWoman
07-17-2006, 07:02 AM
well i carry a "secondary phone" if that is what you want to call it. I do it because its a choice that I have made. My secondary phone is my Nextel i??? i dont know the other numbers, but I carry by nextel and my BB8700G because I want to. At times having a secondary phone comes in handy. For example my battery went dead in my primary phone and I had a flat tire...and I was on the side of the road at friggin 11 at night! I wasn't far from my home but the fact is im a young female stranded on the side of the highway!!...So Im glad I had my secondary phone available fully charged and was able to call my dad and everyone else for help.
And plus...why should it matter as to why people carry secondary phones??? Are you paying for their phone bill??????

cwosigns
07-17-2006, 08:35 AM
I have a Verizon LG VX-8300 that I carry in addition to my 8700c. I carry it for two reasons: It's nice to leave work behind on occasion, so one is for personal and one is for work only. I also like having the 1.3 MP phone. I would ditch the LG in a heartbeat if my 8700 could do MMS and had a 1.3 MP or higher camera.

I hope that RIM expands the BlackBerry line to include consumer-oriented berries with 3G multimedia capabilities and cameras.

MoralityWoman
07-17-2006, 10:31 AM
yea...cwosigns..i suppose that would be good too...but i bet it would extend the cost of the BB from being about $500 (USD) to being about $600/$650 (USD) lol but i guess if you are doing an upgrade then of course it would be cheaper lol

Winston S.
07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
And plus...why should it matter as to why people carry secondary phones??? Are you paying for their phone bill??????
I believe it was a valid question by the OP and he did explain why he wanted to know.

SENATOR
07-17-2006, 02:39 PM
I'd love to carry only my 8700c. However, the BB is for work and my RAZR, which has the cellphone number I've had for 10 years, is my personal phone.

If Cingular supported dual-NAMS, it wouldn't be a problem. I could have two numbers on one device. But since that isn't the case, I have to carry both with me. The BB for my data and email connectivity (which is paid for through work) and my personal phone so that long time family and friends can still use the same number they've used for 10 years!

zero1
07-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Lgreenberg -
completely felt the same way - just got the sidekick 3 for pictures/mp3/social networking etc. - i use it a lot but yet sometimes feel a little lost with out my blackberrry - i forget sometimes and try to use bb shortcuts on my sk3 and of course am left dissappointed (especially since it is not EDGE enabled) - im not sure if i want to send it back (5 days left to send it back)

matrixixix
07-17-2006, 11:33 PM
camera!!!

taeberry
07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a Razr V3 and am just about to buy an 8700c. (One more week until I can upgrade) Like a lot of people in this thread, I'm going to seriously miss my Razr V3 when I go out at night to an event or on the weekend or the boat, etc..sometimes it's nice to lose the Batman belt and slip that bad boy in your back pocket.

There was one poster who said he switched sims back and forth. Both my Razr V3 and the 8700 will both be Cingular. Is there any downside to switching the sim back and forth? I don't think call history is saved to the SIM and that may be one disadvantage. Any other disadvantage to switching the sim card between the 8700C and a Cingular Razr?

Cingular stores happily replace the sim card for free if it stops working so wear and tear on it should not be an issue.

timay
07-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Blackberry's supplied by work (have 2) which they pay for, I have own mobile for personal use. ALso use the camera on my phone for work too.

SimonMac
07-19-2006, 05:03 AM
BB 8700 for Business
Nokia 8800 For Personal

(100th Post woo hoo)

sbennett
07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Got a Samsung T809, BB 8700, and SK3. All tons of fun to play with, but 8700 is by far the most useful to me. If BB would only allow for expandable memory I would be set.

jestock
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a personal phone with a number I have had for 9 years and don't want to give it up.
I have a BB for work.
Most of the time, I forward my personal to my BB so I only carry one device. That way if someone calls my personal phone, it sends it to my BB with no delay. If they call my work phone same deal.... only thing is you have to set up personal contact in both phones so you know who is calling.

flash24
03-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Just my 8700g here.. carrying two phone is just hard for me because I loose things easily.

dak244
03-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I understand the business vs. personal reason for carrying 2 phones....

but come on.. just for the hell of it?
I mean one guy said "to take pictures"

gadgetfanatic
03-29-2007, 02:23 PM
8700c for email, Samsung Blackjack for phone, txt msging and organizer cause it's way cooler than a bb. Just ordered a brand new, never opened black Moto MPX220 to swap out with the Blackjack from time to time.

dak244
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
8700c for email, Samsung Blackjack for phone, txt msging and organizer cause it's way cooler than a bb. Just ordered a brand new, never opened black Moto MPX220 to swap out with the Blackjack from time to time.

LOL your exactly what im talking about!

gadgetfanatic
03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
LOL your exactly what im talking about!

if I have to explain it to you you'll never understand.

Just consider yourself lucky!!

ezrunner
03-29-2007, 03:27 PM
BB8700

I love it

Two cans with string inbetween for casual fun

razorbackfan
03-29-2007, 04:30 PM
carry a bb 8703e on one hip, and .40 S & W on the other, not a whole lot of room for other gadgets.

JSanders
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM

So... you're saying the BlackJack looks way cooler than the BB8800?

ezrunner
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
oooooo .40 S&W I am jealous

gadgetfanatic
03-29-2007, 09:06 PM
So... you're saying the BlackJack looks way cooler than the BB8800?

I'm saying that the blackjack is just plain cooler than even the 8800. Yeah, it looks cooler than the 8800 but more importantly it is cooler to use..................except for email. The bb is by far the best email device, hands down. I returned my 8800 after one week, went back to my trusty 8700 for email and picked up the blackjack for everything else due to it's superior gadgetness. AND the Blackjack is far superior to the 8800 in build quality. The 8800 doesn't even come close in that dept.

sixtyfoxtrot
03-29-2007, 09:46 PM
8700g for personal phone. Piece of crap Nextel i7--something for work. Work provides me with the piece of crap Nextel but I have to carry my 8700 all day because the Nextel network is aweful in Florida.

det293
03-29-2007, 11:43 PM
I am on call 24/7 with my "real" job so I have to carry a phone from work. I use my personal phone over 700 minutes, I am sure my employer would not be happy with that bill. I used to have 2 razors, looked goofy, but what could I do. Now I have this BB and the works razor

beeps
04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Currently i have 3 cellphones.

1- BB 8707g
2- Nokia

Wishdemon
04-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I have a 8700g and a ic502 from SprintNextel....my main reason for carrying both is that there are times that I do NOT want to carry my bb for many different reasons (like when Im going out, I don't want someone spilling beer on it, etc..)...if my bb could truly be safely tucked away in my pants pocket (without a fear of the buttons being pressed etc, I would just keep that, but right now its not that feasible....plus I need my walkie talkie on my nextel...

jcpom
04-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I leave my V325i, which I got free from Verizon (except for 9.95 per month), constantly on inside my car so I don't have to dig into my pocket or briefcase to pull out my BB which is set to conditional forward to my "car" phone. I also use it when I bike because it fits neatly into my jersey (and would be less expensive to replace should I wipe out and land on my phone.)

Kilted Brad
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I carry a Alltell Moto (for work) along w/ my bb

gadgetfanatic
04-06-2007, 01:42 PM

UPDATE: The MPX220 arrived 2 days ago so I put the BlackJack up and started using the mpx. I'd forgotten how cool these little flip phones are. It has been over a year since I used one. But man is this thing "OLD SCHOOL" after using my BlackJack for about a month.

8700c still in my front pocket no matter what is in my belt!!