PDA

View Full Version : I've been scammed (I think)

Scammed
06-07-2006, 05:00 PM
I feel like a complete idiot.

My brother recently had his birthday. He is a professional accountant by trade. His office does not reimburse employees for Blackberry's because the partners do not want to always be accessable. For managers, however, having a Blackberry is somewhat crucial.

I figured that as his older brother, I would buy him a Blackberry for his birthday. Being somewhat of a penny-pincher, I always try and find the best deal. If it means that it fell off the back of a truck, so be it. I checked out Rogers' website and learned that the 8700r retailed for a whopping $600. I could afford the $600, no problem, but why pay $600 when someone on Craigslist was selling theirs for a cool $400.

The Blackberry was advertised as unlocked, new, and all that jazz. I checked it out. It was in brand new condition. The seller even had the original box and manuals and everything. I was not the least bit worried about the transaction. The seller seemed like a legit. person and his reason for selling was more than valid IMO. Without hesitating, I paid the $400, excited to see my brother's reaction when I would hand him his present.

His reaction was as follows: "You idiot.. this doesn't work."

When I bought it, I threw my SIM card in there to make sure it worked. It did, no problems. I would later learn that there was a PIN which was cancelled.

Apperently the seller had either found or stolen the phone (which was subsequently reported lost/stolen) and Rogers' disabled the PIN, meaning that my present to my brother was merely an oversized phone with a keyboard on it. The email capabilities were useless, which was 95% of the reason my brother needed/wanted a Blackberry.

My question is, where do I go from here? The seller is not answering his phone at this juncture in time. The ad on Craigslist has been deleted. I am not the type to persue revenge or anything like that. I have been cheated for $400. Is there anything I can do to at least recoup part of this? Once the PIN has been blocked, is there anything I can do to get a new PIN or is that all she wrote?

Any tips or suggestions would be more than appreciated. Please refrain from calling me an idiot. If I had all this info a week ago, I would havef most certainly not purchased a Blackberry on the black market.

Cheers!

jibi
06-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Call RIM or Rogers - 877-255-2377 (RIM)

Lex Luthor
06-07-2006, 05:04 PM
If the seller was the user then have him contact Rogers data dept and have them release the pin and imei so you can register it via BIS. If the seller found or stole the BlackBerry and Rogers won't release the pin because of that then I think you're out of luck.

LunkHead
06-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Your pretty much screwed as far as the pin goes. I suggest calling the police and file a report. If you paid by credit card call them and report the fraud. If you paid by check, cancel the check and or report it as fraud to you bank.

Best of luck!

Scammed
06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Judging by the seller and his overall demeanor, I'm starting to think the situation was the latter of the two. Guess I'll have to eat the $400. Sucks.

LunkHead
06-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I would still file a police report. Internet scam is common place these days!

koleary19067
06-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (7100i: BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

That sucks! Don't give up, do whatever to punish them

prolepsis
06-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Being somewhat of a penny-pincher, I always try and find the best deal. If it means that it fell off the back of a truck, so be it. I checked out Rogers' website and learned that the 8700r retailed for a whopping $600. I could afford the $600, no problem, but why pay $600 when someone on Craigslist was selling theirs for a cool $400.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. You most likely have a BBerry that fell from a truck, so you are probably out of luck.

If you go this route again next time, it may help to ask the seller for the original receipt, or to call Rogers and check to see if the IMEI or PIN has been reported stolen and is blocked.

At this point, it probably won't hurt to call Rogers and see if they have any suggestions.

If you can't contact the original seller (I doubt he/she will help you if he/she knew that the device was not legit), as an option, you can probably part out things like the case, keys, and LCD screen. Since you have an 8700r, folks who aren't in Canada may wish to buy the case to get a black coloured 8700c-style Bberry.

Not sure what the police can do in this case, but it probably wouldn't hurt to call their non-emergency line.

ThePointman
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I am also sorry to hear about your troubles BUT if it seems to good to be true ... It usually is.

Generally my luck has been that when I think I just got a smokin deal something bites me is the A$$.

For 200 bone you should have manned up (for your brother none the less) and bought the unit from a reputable dealer, thats why you pay what you do at the dealer because they stand behind it and warranty if needed. I should know as my 8700r was just replaced because the screen was full of dust.

These units are mass produced with what I bet is as high as a 6% failure rate in the first year. The code junkies out there will know what this means "China != Quality"

brandbb
06-07-2006, 11:03 PM
If you settle for dumping it, pm me, Ill take it off your hands.

Since you have an 8700r, folks who aren't in Canada may wish to buy the case to get a black coloured 8700c-style Bberry.

EricaJ1074
06-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I can attest to that 6% failure rate as I went thru 5 BlackBerries in 7 months last year. Started in April 2005.

BB # 1, a 7730, radio died 14 days after I got it-replaced

BB # 2, 2nd 7730, lasted 2 months, radio problems again-upgraded to 7100t

BB # 3, first 7100t, radio died after 4 months, and a power button mashed in-replaced (shipping fiasco ensued) I chose the 7 day shipping option for # 4 and when it didn't show up in 10 days, I called and yelled at them.

BB #4 (the first replacement 7100t) actually showed up FOUR MONTHS after I needed it thanks to a screw up in the shipping address-T-Mobile's fault here :x

BB #5, second replacement 7100t, shows up 3 days after the fiasco above and worked until November when the RIM vs NTP patent began, signal started giving me fits-another upgrade after running thru 3 sidekicks.

BB # 6, my first and current 7105t, has been working good since I got it 2 months ago, with a few glitches. MEANWHILE BB #4 shows up and is returned due to the purchase of the 7105t.

So yeah I know all about that 6% failure rate and equipment coverage.

MooseBerry
06-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Erica,

You may have the worst BlackBerry luck ever!

EricaJ1074
06-08-2006, 01:28 AM
LOL Don't jinx me. I had a 950 for a year before all of that.

MooseBerry
06-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Sorry..but, holy cow!

I'm surprised you stayed with the BB after all the bad luck. Other's would have thrown in the towel and got a lesser device, like a Treo or some such sillyness.

EricaJ1074
06-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Yall jinxed me. Now I'm having problems with it acting sluggish; my mail icon was showing a negative amount of emails, etc. LOL I'm hoping I don't have to replace it. I've had Pocket PC/Pocket PC Phones before and don't want to go back to them.

koleary19067
06-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (7100i: BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Keep that luck with you. Its terrible

JohnJohn
06-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Call Rogers and tell them you got scammed on the purchase of a stolen phone, You would like to return it. Let them know you got ragged for $400 and that it was going to be a present for your brother. Maybe they have a heart and will "help" you get a new device. Or maybe the original owner will "reward" you for the find.

If it did fall off of a truck or it was stolen from a retail location(most likely since you seller had the manual, box etc); tell Rogers you'll take the risk and rat the sellers info out if they could help you get a device for your brother. Depending on how many were stolen at the time yours was, they may be willing to assist you.

barjohn
06-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I have a nearly new 8700C that was one of the special units that RIM gave out for sale for $299 with no contract. It is locked to Cingular and I will work with anyone that is interested in it including contacting my friends at RIM for an unlock code if need be. It is in like new condition with the special box and includes everything that came with the unit. I am well known on this and other forums so I think there are folks that can attest that I am not a scammer.:smile: