PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Use IM Clients With T-Mobile!!!!

Stewie
06-11-2006, 12:42 PM
T-Mobile charges you SMS rates for IM. This is not included in their BIS plan. They screw you on charges. This is true for their supplied client as well as Google Talk. They want you to pay for one of their SMS plans.

(n) :-x

jonk
06-11-2006, 01:08 PM
T-Mobile charges you SMS rates for IM. This is not included in their BIS plan. They screw you on charges. This is true for their supplied client as well as Google Talk. They want you to pay for one of their SMS plans.

(n) :-x

NOT true. T-mobile only charges SMS rates if you use IM over SMS. Google Talk uses data only there is no way to google talk with SMS. Please do not spread rumors like this without checking your info first.

Stewie
06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
NOT true. T-mobile only charges SMS rates if you use IM over SMS. Google Talk uses data only there is no way to google talk with SMS. Please do not spread rumors like this without checking your info first.

I posted just after talking with T-Mobile support. I have a charge of $19.70 for 197 messages. I only use their supplied IM client for AIM and Google's Google Talk. I do not use SMS at all. It is either their own IM client, Google Talk or both. They told me both. If it is a rumor it was started by T-Mobile charging me and then telling me that it was because of IM and GTalk use.

If it is not GTalk then great I am happy and will never use T-Mobile's client for AIM. Either way T-Mobile needs to be a little more up front that their included IM client will cause you to get charged SMS rates for using it.

Stewie
06-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Called T-Mobile again. Asked to be switched to their Blackberry support group. The person I talked with confirmed that their OZ IM client uses SMS. I asked about Google Talk and he said that I should not be charged for using it but I would be charged for their OZ IM client. I told him that they should share this with their other support groups as I had been told that I would be charged for both.

NJBlackBerry
06-11-2006, 01:37 PM
I think it's been posted many times that the OZ client uses SMS....

EricaJ1074
06-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I use T-Mobile's Oz client on AIM, MSN, and ICQ with my unlimited messaging package and don't get overage charges.

Soapm
06-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Stewie, you are correct, the TMO IM will rack up SMS charges. Do a search for "Ramble" which is free and will solve your problem. You can also do a search on ways to intagrate AOL, Yahoo etc... into google talk. Try searching "google aol".

Good luck!

Stewie
06-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Stewie, you are correct, the TMO IM will rack up SMS charges. Do a search for "Ramble" which is free and will solve your problem. You can also do a search on ways to intagrate AOL, Yahoo etc... into google talk. Try searching "google aol".

Good luck!

I got AIM working through the Google Talk client. Thanks for the info. 8-)

f!ver
06-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Well at least you can use those progs...I cant use anything on my Cingular....I love Cingulars coverage and rollover, but this is seriously a scar on their face.

EricaJ1074
06-11-2006, 05:54 PM
You CAN use BlackBerry Messenger.

Soapm
06-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Well at least you can use those progs...I cant use anything on my Cingular....I love Cingulars coverage and rollover, but this is seriously a scar on their face.

Can't you call and get on the new programs? I believe they now include TCP via Cingular and it cost less money with no BES.

f!ver
06-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Blackberry messenger says it doesent work with cingular phones went to mobile.blackberry.com on my BB. I only use Yahoo messenger, and I cant use that with Cingular...other progs says it will use SMS. Im not sure..

I kinda wish Mark Rejorn would make a step by step into using all different IM clients...I think that would help alot of people...and that dude is like BB genius!

thatboiwes
06-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Did it never cross your mind that it MIGHT use SMS? When I 1st signed up with Cingular, the phone I had was the LG 9100, which had AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc... I made sure that it didn't cost any extra to use it. They told me no, but that it took away from my SMS. I'm sure if you would have asked, they would have told you.

Stewie
06-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Did it never cross your mind that it MIGHT use SMS? When I 1st signed up with Cingular, the phone I had was the LG 9100, which had AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc... I made sure that it didn't cost any extra to use it. They told me no, but that it took away from my SMS. I'm sure if you would have asked, they would have told you.

I moved from a Treo 650 GSM (wanted reliable push e-mail) which had a native AIM client that did not use SMS. I thought that the OZ client from T-Mobile would be the same kind of thing. It makes no sence to me why T-Mobile would offer an IM client that relies on SMS when they have unlimited data. I would think that this would be another selling point for T-Mobile. I guess they want to make some extra money (their right). It would be nice if they would state the fact up front when you use the OZ client that this system uses SMS and you will be charged for it unless you get one of their SMS plans. I am for transparency and not hiding charges. Despit all of this I still like T-Mobile. I consider this a minor flaw that has a workaround. I just feel sorry for those who do not know there is a work around.

Thank you to those who helped me find a way around the charges.

f!ver
06-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I really like the people that cant offer solutions or advice, but find that they need to give their sarcasm...

If you dont have a solution to a problem..then your reply probably isnt needed.

I just hope cingular will one day let us yahoo messenger users put the client on our BB

goaliemn
06-12-2006, 09:14 AM
If you do like the client, T-mobile minutes and mail does offer unlimited SMS. I have that and use it with the client, as well as SMSing friends and such.

ViolaBerry
06-12-2006, 09:57 AM

Stewie, how did you get AIM working through the Google Talk client? If there is a link for instructions, please post. I would like to try that method to avoid sms charges on the OZ IM program.

Thanks!

Tennvol
06-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Couldn't you use IM+ and not get charged for text messages?

thatboiwes
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM

Stewie, how did you get AIM working through the Google Talk client? If there is a link for instructions, please post. I would like to try that method to avoid sms charges on the OZ IM program.

Thanks!

I don't have the link for you, but if you search for Google Talk, it will show up. I think it's a sticky somewhere around here.

r0guenj
06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Blackberry messenger does work on cingular. It is just not supported. That message you receive is a warning so that you don't call cingular and pester them.

I use it on my 8700c with no issues.

f!ver
06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
TY FOR THAT...i WILL TRY IT OUT :)

does the bb messenger use sms? i wouldent think so since its essentially a pin message

Meave
06-13-2006, 09:46 AM
I just purchesed Verichat, I'm loving it, very easy to navigate.