PDA

View Full Version : Stopping ring/vibrate and send call to voicemail

larrycunningham
06-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Hi:

Several previous posts have indicated people are having problems stopping a ring or vibrate while the 8700 is in a holster. Outside of the holster, one can simply roll the trackwheel to stop the ring/vibrate and send the call to voicemail. I, too, am having this frustrating problem. I don't want to take the BB out of its holster in order to stop the ring/vibrate. Like other phones, there should be an easy and quick way to stop the ring. (An option is to set the profile for "in holster" to mute, but I want to be notified when I have a call -- it's just I may not be in a position to answer every one!)

I think I may have found a workaround. The problem seems to be the sleep mode that the magnet in the holster puts the BB in. Are there holsters for the 8700c that do not have the magnet? Or, is there an easy way to remove the magnet in the OEM holster? Once the magnet is gone, the BB won't go in sleep mode. Instead, I could lock the keyboard before putting in the holster -- this can be done quickly with the "K" key. I guess the risk is that the battery will drain because the screen will not shut off?

What do you think? Are there any holsters out there without magnets?

Larry

takeshi
06-15-2006, 07:53 AM
A lot of generic cases don't have magnets.

twharms
06-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You can go into options and set your BB to do nothing in the holster without spending money or destroying your holster

bjallen2880
06-15-2006, 08:24 AM
It works for me fine...

If my phone is starting to vibrate for an event (calendar, SMS, call) I just roll the scroll wheel a few times while in the OEM holster and it goes away.

Another way to accomplish this is to hit the mute button on the top of the phone.

larrycunningham
06-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You can go into options and set your BB to do nothing in the holster without spending money or destroying your holster

As I explained in the original post, I do not want to disable the ring altogether while in the holster. I want to be notified of new calls -- I just want a way to stop the ringing. Now, in order not to answer a call and send it to voice mail, I have to wait through 5 or 6 rings.

larrycunningham
06-15-2006, 08:30 AM
It works for me fine...

If my phone is starting to vibrate for an event (calendar, SMS, call) I just roll the scroll wheel a few times while in the OEM holster and it goes away.

Another way to accomplish this is to hit the mute button on the top of the phone.

I have tried both options and it doesn't work.

I wonder if there is a difference between the 8700g and 8700c? I would think not -- the problem seems to be in the BB OS. Which version of BB are you running? Mine is 4.1.0.194.

Larry

bjallen2880
06-15-2006, 08:37 AM
4.1.0.286 on the T-Mobile USA 8700g.

Thought I should clarify a little. The event doesn't end for me when I roll the scroll wheel, it still vibrates. But the audio is silenced.

larrycunningham
06-15-2006, 08:41 AM
4.1.0.286 on the T-Mobile USA 8700g.

Thought I should clarify a little. The event doesn't end for me when I roll the scroll wheel, it still vibrates. But the audio is silenced.

Gotcha. I have mine sent to permanent vibrate. What I would like to do is to stop the vibrating.

twharms
06-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Okay, you missed what I was saying. What I meant when I said you can set your bb to do nothing was: you can set your bb so that it does not go to the standby screen while in the holster. That way you still have functionality when an incoming call comes in and you don't want to answer

arul
06-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Can you set a divert to voice mail when busy? i have it set to divert to another number so i can forward the call to the office if i dont want to answer the call and dont want the person to leave a voice mail either. so when i get a call, i just hit the end call button and the call is diverted.

I'm using a 7100x - but i'm sure the options would be the same on your device.

larrycunningham
06-15-2006, 09:47 AM

Okay, you missed what I was saying. What I meant when I said you can set your bb to do nothing was: you can set your bb so that it does not go to the standby screen while in the holster. That way you still have functionality when an incoming call comes in and you don't want to answer

Yes, I obviously did and you have pinpointed exactly what I want. :) Now: How does one set the bb NOT to go into standby?

twharms
06-15-2006, 10:58 AM

Options>security>general settings. It should have an option 'lock upon holstering' or something to that effect. That's how I get to it on my 7290, but I'm sure there's a similar method for the 8700. Once you have that set all you really need to do is use the scroll wheel when you get a call and its in the holster. But just out of curiosity, is it really that big a deal if its vibrating on your hip while you talk to someone?

larrycunningham
06-15-2006, 02:13 PM

Options>security>general settings. It should have an option 'lock upon holstering' or something to that effect. That's how I get to it on my 7290, but I'm sure there's a similar method for the 8700. Once you have that set all you really need to do is use the scroll wheel when you get a call and its in the holster. But just out of curiosity, is it really that big a deal if its vibrating on your hip while you talk to someone?

Nope ... that didn't work either. It still continues to vibrate.

It's not a big deal, it's just distracting.