PDA

View Full Version : OTA - Enterprise Activation - broken?

ToeRag
06-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I love my 7100i --

however everytime (it seems) that I go on a trip for what ever reason I lose my email BES messages. Which requires I re-activate. I continue to try the OTA (over the air) activation with the email & password but it ALWAYS fails and tells me to contact system admin. All I need to do is get basck to my work LAN and sync via my USB to my PC and everything is back to normal. Why doesn't the OTA activation work?

I'm asking here because our IT support for Blackberry is little to NONE!

NJBlackBerry
06-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Has Enterprise Activation (over the air) ever worked?

You should not have to re-activate a BB after traveling.

d_fisher
06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Do you happen to have your BlackBerry network configured to Manual? If your traveling, it is very important that it is configured to Automatic so you can roam if required.

ToeRag
06-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Do you happen to have your BlackBerry network configured to Manual? If your traveling, it is very important that it is configured to Automatic so you can roam if required.

Not sure where that would be done or to confirm the configuration, on the device itself or is that a BES thing?

And no the OTA never worked that I am aware of. When I got the pohne it was already activated, and I had to re- activate twice since. Both times I left the area (Nextel network) and had issues when trying to do the process OTA.

d_fisher
06-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Not sure where that would be done or to confirm the configuration, on the device itself or is that a BES thing?

And no the OTA never worked that I am aware of. When I got the pohne it was already activated, and I had to re- activate twice since. Both times I left the area (Nextel network) and had issues when trying to do the process OTA.To check the network setting on your BlackBerry, go to Options > Network >verify that it is set to Automatic. And what exactly do you mean when you say "Both times I left the area (Nextel network)"? Have you tried simply removing/reinserting the battery when you returned?

Finally, OTA may not be configured for use in your organization. To use OTA, the BES admin has to provide you with an activation password. This password is only good for 48 hours or 5 attempts. Once the BlackBerry has successfully activated, the password is automatically invalidated. If you need to activate wirelessly again, you need another new password.

NJBlackBerry
06-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Sounds to me like you shouldn't be using Enterprise Activation. That's why I asked if it had ever worked. Your BES admin must set you up with a one time use password and that's what you use for EA.

Advice: don't use EA unless your BES admin sends you a special password with instructions on using EA.

ToeRag
06-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Sounds to me like you shouldn't be using Enterprise Activation. That's why I asked if it had ever worked. Your BES admin must set you up with a one time use password and that's what you use for EA.

Advice: don't use EA unless your BES admin sends you a special password with instructions on using EA.

thanks .. I was using my email and outlook/network password I now see that was NOT what was needed. I will have to call the admin next time. --

so now the bigger ? why would my BB lose activation?