PDA

View Full Version : Any way to use my BB 7290 as a modem with my Pocket PC?

sclemens2
02-25-2005, 02:33 AM
Hello All,

I need help. I have read through a lot of threads on how to connect through a BlackBerry as a modem from a Laptop. My issue is I cannot connect my BlackBerry 7290 as a modem with thier PPC? When I try to pair the devices, the PPC tells me that it cannot pair because the blackberry does not offer any services. Do I need a special driver I need on the PPC side and if so, which rock do I have to look under.

I know what you all are thinking and I am trying to brake myself of the PPC habit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
SC

Mark Rejhon
02-25-2005, 02:39 AM
NOT YET...
It's not quite yet possible, unfortunately, since the only way to use a BlackBerry as a modem for a laptop is to use a USB cable (instead of Bluetooth).

For instructions on this, please see:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=19451

This is because RIM put a lot of security in Bluetooth to prevent bluejacking, and the government is a major customer of of RIM, so that interferes with the ability to tether a BlackBerry to a computer.

HOWEVER, THIS MAY CHANGE EVENTUALLY...
It might eventually become possible in the future, since there are plans to open up the Bluetooth stack a little more. Check this thread out:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=30399

dsiegfried
12-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Any new word on developed service for BB as modem for PPC via blue tooth?

Thanks
Dave

christophen16
10-19-2006, 03:17 PM
That sort of program would be great cos i have got a 7130g and my mate has just got an XDAII and beacuse i pay a fixed amount for my data (7.50 amonth) no matter how much i use, he could use it as a modem.
we have tried setting up a dial up connection and it wont work it just asks if you want to add the device as a serial port and from then on you cant do owt else with it
any suggestions?

NJBlackBerry
10-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't think you can do it.

headtailgrep
10-19-2006, 08:02 PM
OS 4.2 might allow it.. but if your device won't get OS 4.2, then you won't be able to do it unless you upgrade your hardware.

gyudaddy
11-04-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm using Axim X51v (WM5) with BB 8100 and it works as a bluetooth modem. I'm using T-Mobile. Now I don't need to carry my laptop!

StarmanDX
11-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, the 8100 exports the DUN profile, but none of the other BBs do. You aren't going to be able to do this with your current BB

rta53
11-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Yes, the 8100 exports the DUN profile, but none of the other BBs do. You aren't going to be able to do this with your current BB

You are correct. I tried to do this with my 7250 to an Axim X51v but it does not work. Sure would be nice.