PDA

View Full Version : hard on BB

smketer
09-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Hello everyone,
As I am looking at getting a BB, one of the things I have a question on is does anyone know RIM's policy on changing BB's I have a i730 phone 4rd one this year, and I just got in the mail from Motorola a new i530 its the one that is military grade tough, and they asked me to see if I can break it.

But does RIM have anything going that would protect my BB, or as some of you might have some connections with RIM is there a military grade BB coming?

With more firefighters using the handhelds we get hard on our stuff, and sometimes we break, drop, smash, or yes throw our stuff.

Thanks,
SMK

kirson
09-09-2004, 05:35 PM
The best I know of is the optional insurance from the carrier. At T-Mobile, you can get the Assurion plan for around $4 per month. After a 60 day holding period, you can make up to 2 claims a year for a replacement device with a $35 dedcutible (up to a $1000 per year value). In essence, this tends to mean that you can replace the device 2 times a year at a cost of a $48 plan plus a $35 dedcutible per device. I have used it once, and got a new 7230 within a couple of days. They cover broken, lost or stolen.

HaTaX
09-10-2004, 12:31 PM
I thought the BB was pretty tough, but my company is in the copier repair business and 3 of the techs have killed their BB at one time or another... Some have just been they develop flaky problems after being dropped or so a few times, and others have sat on them and that killed them...

I've never had mine die yet, so I'm not sure what they're doing behind the scenes....

At least RIM and Nextel always provide us a replacement!

Gothalyptic
09-10-2004, 12:40 PM
As a volly firefighter/emt as well. I too wish they'd make up like they make the I305, or even I530 for nextel, ruberized, shock resistant. I leave my Blackberry on the pump pannel in the crew cab if I have it on my side during a call. The bunk pants have caused scratches on the back :( I'm just waiting for our pump operator to toss it out of the way and it breaking. Insurance is the way to go, cheap and covers ANYTHING I've made one claim already while doing a R.I.T. operation for a cat (curses animal rescues in buildings) it fell off the clip, down the pant leg of the bunkers, some reason didn't land in my boot, fell out and burnt up. Funny enough they replaced it, I didn't think they would, but they did. I HIGHLY recomend insurance. Hopefully with enough of us EMS personel droping emails they'll make an EMS friendly version ;)

smketer
09-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Goth, yeah that is one good thing about Nextel they replace everything our rep swings by the house at least once a week or ups is bring someone a new phone.

But yeah a little "rubber" on the BB would be cool, and i would be more then happy to put its though its test.

FIRE

yahtzee
09-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Goth, yeah that is one good thing about Nextel they replace everything our rep swings by the house at least once a week or ups is bring someone a new phone.

But yeah a little "rubber" on the BB would be cool, and i would be more then happy to put its though its test.

FIRE

Not sure if it will be rubberized but i have heard that the new BB (7520) will be more "ruggedized".

Mark Rejhon
09-13-2004, 12:34 PM
You're lucky you're not using other cellphones such as Treo -- they would likely break on the first drop!

It's possible the 7510 is less ruggedized than the 7280 which has survived quite a few drops already.

desixtc
09-20-2004, 10:11 PM
does anyone know if it will be BRIGHTER :idea:

coteyr
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
My 6710 I just got is tought enough. I have droped it several time in the past week (getting a bit over excited about the holster I guess). It shows no signs of wear and tear. They doen;t make a phone that I kkow of that an be hit with a hammer and still keep going yet. I have, at one time, thrown my bb across the room at the wall. It still works and there was no screen Damage. I would recomend insurance though, expecalilly if you intend to use it in rough situiations.

Skive
09-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Is there such a thing as thrown at the wall insurance now then. :D

XX
10-24-2004, 07:37 PM
i've found my Krussell case has protected my 7510 more than a few times from being damaged.

If you can deal with the additional bulk.....

.... although i carry my business cards in it as well :)

smketer
10-25-2004, 03:40 PM
xx do you have a link to the site where you got it from?
i dont like the holster i got with the 7510.

SMK

XX
10-25-2004, 11:10 PM
got mine on ebay, about 20 bucks.

do a search krusell 7510

good luck! 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48673&item=5727742882&rd=1

WorldIRC
10-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I dropped my BB on concrete from 4 feet. Nasty scuff mark (damn it was mint) but it survived.