PDA

View Full Version : 8700 Screen Polish? How do you get rid of scratches?

stac
06-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey folks -

I noticed a scratch today on my 8700c's screen - does anyone have a favorite screen polish that they use to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Stac

abbydog3
06-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey folks -

I noticed a scratch today on my 8700c's screen - does anyone have a favorite screen polish that they use to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Stac

I know it sounds weird, but I use brass o to polish the screen on my ipod. Have not tried it on my BB, but it is not scratched too bad yet.

It is a metal polish, but has worked great many times on the ipod screen.

Hint, I use painters tape to mask the control area and don't apply a lot of cleaner to the small rag.

mrogers
06-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Another vote for brasso. Works great, just be careful.

ebgreen
06-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Search. This has been beat to death.

WIKID3
06-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Displex, search the internet...works great.

takeshi
06-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Definitely take preventative measures and use a screen protector if the scratches bother you.

stac
06-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks folks for the info - I'm going to order a tube of displex to get rid of the scratches... and order some screen protectors as well.

Regs,
Stac

johnfromphilly
06-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks folks for the info - I'm going to order a tube of displex to get rid of the scratches... and order some screen protectors as well.

Regs,
Stac

Read this first, found it using a "search" for Displex:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=30874&highlight=displex

stac
06-28-2006, 08:25 AM
That picture tells the WHOLE story... Glad I didn't ante up for it yet. I'm thinking that I'll let it go until it seems worth it to me to replace the housing of my BB to cover the scratches and dents. I have to say that it is cool that you can replace the entire housing of your phone (like the cheapo Nokias) for a few scheckles if the scratching gets objectionable. Thanks for all the input folks.

Appreciatively,
Stac

sigmamason
06-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Anybody try iDrops (http://podshop.com/idrops/)? Supposedly made for iPods, but can get rid of scratches on cell phone screens also...

KonTiki
06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I have used Dixplex on several BBs with extremely wonderful results. Use it sparingly and carefully rather than slopily and you should be fine with it.

cmhn12
06-29-2006, 10:46 PM
LCD Magic works GREAT my boss has used it on his old 7100 and omg the results were AWESOME, it comes in like a whiteout bottle and you just apply and buff for a good amount of time and bam its all fixed! it goes for about 11.99 or so! awesome product!

jdjleo
06-30-2006, 12:02 AM
If anyone has some links to these products, im sure there are some folks interested!

I have only a couple VERY minor scratches but i wouldnt mind erasing them!

cmhn12
06-30-2006, 11:53 PM
http://www.merlinstable.com/ is the link for LCD Magic, it goes for 7.99 at Best Buy Canada Check this stuff OUT!

No Longer Registered.
07-01-2006, 12:53 AM
I will be carrying 3 different kinds of scratch removers for Cellphone / PDAs. One that cleans plastics without scratching. Leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging. Repels dust and eliminates static.

Second one, removes fine scratches, haziness and abrasions from most phone LCD and PDAs.

And Third, removes heavy scratches, haziness and abrasions from most acrylic phone LCD panels and used when damage is too severe to be restored. But has to be used together with the fine scratch remover for buffing at the end of the procedure.

PIN me if you are interested. Receiving my shipment around July 7th. It comes in 2oz bottle. Price range $8-$12/ea.

Won't ship outside the US with this product. Custom issues .. sorry dudes :razz:

JAVOedge
07-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Hey folks -

Thanks,
Stac

Dear all,

May i sugges our JAVOScreen protector (http://www.javoedge.com/reflexeshop/productCatalog/viewByCategory.do?catId=1003002) for your device.

http://www.javoedge.com/reflexeshop/img/products/1/SCR2-1x.jpg

Thanks,
JAVOedge Customer Service

bweith
08-24-2006, 10:49 AM
I have the 8700c and have had great success using iCleaner Scratch Remover, another product designed for iPods. I had a major scratch/abrasion/blemish on my 8700c screen that looked so bad I considered spending $100 for a new housing. But, after repeated applications of iCleaner, the blemish is almost unnoticeable. I can only see it now when the screen is off and when holding the device in the right light and at just the right angle.

Available at: ipodcleaner.com

If you use this product you'll need to be patient as it requires multiple applications to remove serious scratches. The screen looks better with each application. I recommend using the included application cloth.

pawn
08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Search. This has been beat to death.

I see the search-nazis are making a comeback. I mean, it's not like discussion boards need discussions or anything. Here's an idea: the next time you feel the need to tell someone to search, try searching first: it's been beat to death.

HTH.

dlbrock
08-24-2006, 08:00 PM
I see the search-nazis are making a comeback. I mean, it's not like discussion boards need discussions or anything. Here's an idea: the next time you feel the need to tell someone to search, try searching first: it's been beat to death.

HTH.

LOL!!! I love it!!! LOL!!!

eliot1785
08-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi, I was doing a search on this forum to find some info on screen protectors and I came across this. I recently had the screen of my 8700g scratched up right in the middle by my keys. It was pretty surprising to me because I owned the 7230 and the 7290 before this, and both of them had great screens that were extremely scratch-resistent. I hope Blackberry goes back to more scratch-resistent screens in the future - is there any hope of them doing that?

Anyway, I just thought I would ask if there is any risk associated with this "polish." I had never heard of it before, and it would be great if it works, but it sounds dangerous. I don't want to destroy my screen by trying to polish a relatively small (if dense) area of scratches...

Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Stephen

flash24
08-27-2006, 01:50 PM
thanks for the info!

johnfromphilly
08-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi, I was doing a search on this forum to find some info on screen protectors and I came across this. I recently had the screen of my 8700g scratched up right in the middle by my keys. It was pretty surprising to me because I owned the 7230 and the 7290 before this, and both of them had great screens that were extremely scratch-resistent. I hope Blackberry goes back to more scratch-resistent screens in the future - is there any hope of them doing that?

Anyway, I just thought I would ask if there is any risk associated with this "polish." I had never heard of it before, and it would be great if it works, but it sounds dangerous. I don't want to destroy my screen by trying to polish a relatively small (if dense) area of scratches...

Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Stephen

Read post #8 of this thread.

So I don't get bashed for telling someone to search, or at least even read the same thread they posted in, I will even provide the link:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/39438-8700-screen-polish-how-do-you-get-rid-scratches.html#post269307

eliot1785
10-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes, thanks John, I saw your first post and followed that link. I just assumed it was a problem with Displex though. Maybe I was wrong.

eliot1785
10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Folks, I wanted to check back in to let you know my results - I just tried the Applesauce Polish (Applesauce Polish Restores the Original Finish to Your iPod (http://www.applesaucepolish.com)) and it is FANTASTIC!

It has removed my scratches about 90% in a single sitting. I actually have to hold my 8700 at the right angle to see them, whereas before they were pretty bad. If I went over my blackberry again, I think I could probably eliminate them entirely.

Anyway, I think Applesauce Polish has the right philosophy - they have only a very small amount of abrasive material in the polish, which means you have to work a little bit harder at it, but there is less risk of damaging the screen. I was pretty worried about damaging the screen of my BB 8700 since it seemed fairly fragile, but Applesauce Polish worked great on it, even though they say it is designed primarily for iPods.

So if anybody finds this thread by searching, and needs to polish the 8700 screen, I'd say go for this polish. Just make sure, of course, that you avoid the BlackBerry logo and the logo of your carrier, or your might rub them off (it all has to do with pressure, though, so as long as you're not actually rubbing on the logo, it shouldn't matter if you get solution on it. I did and it rubbed off fine).

- S

flash24
10-04-2006, 12:55 AM
displex it is..

mikadad
11-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Just came from the local auto parts store and purchased a bottle (7.99) of Maguires PlaticX plastic polish and it worked great on my 7100g. I highly recommend it. I was ready to spend 25-20 bucks for a new cover but after doing this I am good for another 50,000 miles :).

Michael

jgb@etree
11-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Just came from the local auto parts store and purchased a bottle (7.99) of Maguires PlaticX plastic polish and it worked great on my 7100g. I highly recommend it. I was ready to spend 25-20 bucks for a new cover but after doing this I am good for another 50,000 miles :).

Michael

This product is great... It works wonders on a BB screen, and has the added benefit of brightening your headlights (on your older car) since it will remove the yellow tinge that develops on headlamp housings over time.

Grab some. Do your BB, and then hit the headlights on your old commuter car - it's amazing!

archer6
11-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Here is what I use for everything that's clear plastic: Novus Plastic Polish Ltd. (http://www.noscratch.com/novus/)
Removes any scratches from the smallest to the largest, really amazing.

The first thing when I take a new device out of the package is use the polish.

Makes it so smooth that it resists fingerprints, skin oils etc.
No chance of damaging any plastic no matter how soft.

14pups
11-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Here is what I use for everything that's clear plastic: Novus Plastic Polish Ltd. (http://www.noscratch.com/novus/)
Removes any scratches from the smallest to the largest, really amazing.

The first thing when I take a new device out of the package is use the polish.

Makes it so smooth that it resists fingerprints, skin oils etc.
No chance of damaging any plastic no matter how soft.

Where did you buy this porduct?