PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of Privacy?

mas90guru
07-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Maybe it's just me - but I failed to miss the notification that PD LISTS and REXWIRLESS would automatically email their home base every time I started their application up in trial mode.

I'm sure that it's buried somewhere, but it seems to be a new era in gathering customer information.

sarrett
07-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Clearly they're trying to get trial users to purchase thep product by sending them a reminder every time they use it. I really don't like getting unnecessary messages like that. Perhaps they can send daily reminders the last few days before the trial ends and that's it! Sending messages can contacting home base every time the app is started is an invasision of privacy and very annoying.

cooperpwc
07-02-2006, 04:54 PM
In my experience, PocketDay only sent a reminder email when you first installed the trial version. Not so unfair to get 30 free days. I didn't notice that PDLists was different than that.

Soapm
07-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Buy it and the emails will stop.

sarrett
07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes, if it's one message for 30 days that's standard and not a problem at all. It was looking to me though (and I could be wrong) that they sent out a message every time the app started..that, as I said is too much.They look like good apps so I am leaning towards making a purchase.

mas90guru
07-04-2006, 04:55 AM
I'm sorry I don't think I was clear.

What's happening is when you start these programs in the trial mode they are sending an email from YOUR Blackberry TO the developer exposing YOUR address and stating that a trial was started.

At least with PD Lists it appears that each time I start the program in trial mode an email is sent to the developer, though I have not exhaustively tested this.

If you're on BES you can see this in your Outlook outbox or by using ALT-O from the Blackberry.

adamlau
07-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Can this be prevented through application permissions and device firewalling?