PDA

View Full Version : Surfing the web with a SK3 vs Surfing the web with a 8700g

Webby
07-05-2006, 04:38 PM
How does it compare? On which device are more websites accessible? And is there a widescreen mode for the 8700g? I'm *this* close to making a purchase and am doing a little bit of research.

allenranger2
07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure about the SK 3, but for SK2 the screen is the same as the blackberry's. I compared before I purchased my bb. Also, as far as websites, it seems to me that those websites that enable automatic wap viewing, the blackberry is able to pick up more than the SK. In my personal experience, I choose the bb.

Br4hm4
07-06-2006, 02:53 AM
The web browsing is very similar. Only snags I have run in to on either device are certain banks have certain minimum security specs that neither have, or they may have a java pop up that is not coming up, and I have not been able to get on to Myspace and like sites with my BB.

vap0r
07-06-2006, 02:54 AM
usually i can get on myspace with the opera mini browser

ItsAllVerbatim
07-06-2006, 03:01 AM
usually i can get on myspace with the opera mini browser

Yup, Opera is the way to go.

It even loads Flickr!

(y)

Br4hm4
07-06-2006, 03:28 AM
downloading now. thanks.

ItsAllVerbatim
07-06-2006, 03:29 AM
Yup.

aphr0deity
07-06-2006, 03:32 AM
SK3 uses EDGE as does the 8700, unlike the SK2. Not sure how content viewing will be but generally on the SK it's rather well interfaced because of the rectangular shape. SK2 internet was lousy; you'll have to play with an SK3 to see the difference btw the two and what your preference is.

Br4hm4
07-06-2006, 03:40 AM
I have already played with both, I personally like the BB 8700G that I am using. The SK3 is nice but it seems like something is not right with the screen, the screen always seems lackluster and dark.

ItsAllVerbatim
07-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Sidekicks are lackluster period.

They don't compare to BlackBerries, IMHO.

Not so humble opinion: they suck. I played with an engineering sample SK3 in May and it disappointed. Like a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader with an overbite.

Br4hm4
07-06-2006, 03:55 AM
I keep getting an error trying to use Opera...can anyone point me in the right direction to get the right settings?

shona67
07-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Sidekicks are for the kids or high school kids.:sad:

Webby
07-06-2006, 01:25 PM
^ lol

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass on the Sidekick 3 then.

dialekt
07-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I'll give you my full unbiased opinion as I have spent a lot of time with both devices. I went from the 8700c to the sidekick 2 back to the 8700G and then to the sidekick 3 and then back to the 8700G as of today. The sidekick 3's web browsing is just sad. The improvement in speed is not too significant. I was expecting more for a device that gets released 2 years later. It could be because it is still early and not released to the public, or based on the fact that danger's servers update every 5 secs. Whatever the case is...it's waaaaay slower then the Blackberry 8700g's web browsing. And browsing with opera is amazing too. i tried to ditch my 8700g because of the sidekick's "perfect" keyboard. But functionality and the what the future holds for Blackberry devices has got me so inspired. Now I'm with the Blackberry FOR GOOD. Well at least until a worthy competitor in it's class comes around. But with the future multimedia capabilities on the way...GAME OVER :)

P.S. I think people should really give an honest opinion based on experience rather then just simply saying "The sidekicks are for 6 year olds, etc". I've seen plenty of people I work with in the entertainment industry get by with both devices. To each their own. YES the sidekick may be associated with the teeny bop franchise. (yes i'm a hypocrit)....but the keyboard rocks.

Ok forget everything i just said. :I make no sense..lol ( sleep time)

aphr0deity
07-07-2006, 09:59 AM
I wholeheartedly agree, the Sidekick line has a very easy to use keyboard. That was my main gripe when I switched to the 8700g, my thumbs kept cramping! It kept slipping! I missed my SIDEKICK? I couldn't believe it.

I don't plan on switching back to the SK3 though, for the simple fact that their keyboard is better and more user-intuitive. Another thing I liked was the Messenger program... Blackberry 3rd party messenging applications can't compare to the Sidekick's AIM, Yahoo, and MSN. But Blackberries have Google Talk... sooo... the lack of 3rd party apps on the SK3 and other minor gripes keep me from jumping ship. I'm one of those people who would prefer a camera on my BB, though, but like it's been said, with the future multimedia capabilities of the BB, it will be a no brainer to stick with RIM.

CantHideTheHips
07-10-2006, 11:25 AM
My boyfriend has a SK3 and we always compare the two... my BB (8700g) loads pages faster than his SK3... the Screen resolution is better on the BB. I don't recall the SK3 using EDGE... i could be wrong though... we can both access the same pages amount of pages... The sk3 isn't only for kids... it i just geared towards thouse who don't need all that the BB has to offer.