PDA

View Full Version : if not 8700, would you go with 8125 or Q

soundscore2
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
HEY ALL > i know this is a strange question. I got the 8700 and it does rock, but there are a couple of deal breakers. Well, one. no voice dialing through bluetooth, which would change my sales life. I use my smart phone for phoning, emailing in that order.

I have read somre great reviews on both the Moto Q (apparently very bb like) and the 8125 (I am on Cingular), which is a full fledged Smart phone with a slide out keyboard and all the bluetooth you can eat. Plus it is a great internet device. Downside is bulky, stylus, etc.

I don't want to jump for one feature, but I will go nuts if I have to reprogram the speed dial one more time for a new city.

I do like the push email though.

soundscore

lgreenberg
07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
It's not really fair to ask a bunch of die-hard Blackberry users what other device they'd rather have. :smile:

But since you asked, between the two I'd have to say the Q, but it's definetly a case of the lessor of two evils.

The only reason I'd go with the Q is because it would be a major mistake to get the 8125 with the updated version (the Hermes) being released soon. Also, the 8125 is not a "smartphone" but a PPC where as the Q is a smartphone. They run different operating systems.

However, realize the Q is only available with Verizon. It will not work on Cingular. So if you do go with the Q you'd have to change providers.

infernox
07-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Don't go with the 8125. We test piloted it with a small group of people and it was a MESS. Trust me. As a result, my company went with the 8700c.

swatkins1
07-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I would have to go with the Q also, only because the 8125 is crappy. But the 8700c still is the best out ot all of them

backbeat
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
If it's a consideration for a group/corporate environment, stick with the 8700. All WM 5.0 versions, including Smartphone version, are buggy as hell. We went the WM route a couple of years ago and deeply regretted it. If it's a simple, personal/professional purchase, just be prepared to spend plenty of time getting your hands dirty to keep it functioning smoothly. Frankly, we won't touch another WM device series until it's stable as a rock, which seems a long ways away at this point.

One shouldn't be required to have a mastery of mechanics to simply drive. 8-)

ustna
07-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Just came back to the BB from an MDA(8125) and couldn't be happier. WM5 has a long way to go.

smassey321
07-06-2006, 08:39 AM
We just bought the 8125 and Q for testing. We run BES and Exchange.

8700 - first
8125 - close second
Q - very distant 3rd

udontknowjack
07-06-2006, 10:12 AM
I would stay away from the Q. I ahve been evaluating it and am not too impressed. First impression is great but after using it for a week or so, I am not impressed. It is smart phone so you don't get all the PDA features you'd get with the 8125. Also, too many clicks to do things. If voice dialing is all you want and be happy with the BB, try Voice on the Go, http://www.cablesedge.com/web/home.jsp. I saw them at WES and it was pretty cool.

Aroc
07-07-2006, 06:34 AM
First, you mention a couple deal breakers, but I only see one (no out-of-the-box voice dialing). For that, check out some of the third party solutions. Failing that, send a message to bbsuggestions@<hidden> .

The problem with the other devices is then you'd be running up against a "new" deal breaker. Meaning push email and push contact synchronization (although improved in WM5) isn't up to BB and BES standards quite yet. What good is voice dialing with an out-of-rev copy of your address book!

Without the BB, we'd probably be using Treos (at my company). The HP hw6515 (I think that's the model of the PPC 2003 device) might also get consideration.

The only new devices that intruige me are curiously running Symbian (particularly Symbian OS 9.1). But that I am meaning most of the Sony Ericsson line up and some of the Nokia devices. But truth be told I highly doubt devices like the Nokia E61 would even exist without the BB, so I'll remove them from consideration in you hypothical scenario.

There appears to be quite a healthy set of feature development in the SE lineup which on my account seems to be absent from the guys toting Windows Mobile and Palm O/S phones.

JerryD
07-07-2006, 07:12 AM
HEY ALL > i know this is a strange question. I got the 8700 and it does rock, but there are a couple of deal breakers. Well, one. no voice dialing through bluetooth, which would change my sales life. I use my smart phone for phoning, emailing in that order.

I have read somre great reviews on both the Moto Q (apparently very bb like) and the 8125 (I am on Cingular), which is a full fledged Smart phone with a slide out keyboard and all the bluetooth you can eat. Plus it is a great internet device. Downside is bulky, stylus, etc.

I don't want to jump for one feature, but I will go nuts if I have to reprogram the speed dial one more time for a new city.

I do like the push email though.

soundscore
If you want to use Good, stay away from both devices. I'm not sure why, but my company which supports 14 Good devices nixed the 8125, and there's also a problem with Good on the Q. I've also started to hear unsatisfied (read the honeymoon is over and looking sexy only goes so far) murmurs from Q owners.

As noted, this is a BlackBerry users site, and opinions are biased. That said, no "Smart" phone is anywhere nearly as reliable as a BlackBerry. If you depend on email or travel abroad, the BlackBerry is the only way to go.

NJBlackBerry
07-07-2006, 07:19 AM
I have the Q and a T-Mobile MDA. I am not sure who the Q is being marketed to. It's not a great phone, it's not a great PDA, and e-mail on it, well, it's no BlackBerry Killer. My 14 year old daughter thinks "it's cool" but she didn't like it much either. I put the Q behind the MDA. And the MDA is already in a drawer.... No experience with the 8125.

stripesace
07-07-2006, 08:23 AM
And the MDA is already in a drawer.... No experience with the 8125.

MDA is the 8125 relabled is it not?

lgreenberg
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
MDA is the 8125 relabled is it not?

Basically.

NJBlackBerry
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I didn't realize that - not a Cingular customer.

coreyg510
07-07-2006, 08:34 AM
I actually have an 8125. (Cingular forced an exchange because I am a Sales Manager and they wanted me to have a PPC). I am still loyal to the BB though.

With that being said. If you are going to use the device as a phone and then email, you would be better off with the Cingular 8125 (also known as the HTC Wizard). Threre are some upsides and some downsides, I will admit. However, it is a great device overall. Not only does it have voice dialing, but you can pull up applications with a voice tag. Great for when your in the car.

As for the stylus, you dont have to use it all the time, generally the soft keys allow you to function most of the phones features. I have heard a lot of hype about the Motorola Q, that apparently isn't all true. Most people that I have talked to in the industry, don't like the Q at all.

Good luck.

rcg
07-07-2006, 09:44 AM
The 8125/MDA/HTC Wizard is a pretty good handset. It offers some great functions that the BB doesn't and I find the email speed to more than acceptable... in fact faster than BIS often times. I actually prefer the Outlook style email.

Navigation on the 8125 does not require the stylus at all - the programmable soft keys and the 5 way nav pad work intuitively.

There are many applications for the PPC phones that make customization and productivity easy - more so than the BB.

The down sides are the tactile response and logic on the keyboard and battery life. The BlackBerry 8700 wins no contest in both these areas. Oh and believe it or not the BB browser works better the pocket IE ;-)

I carry both devices and sync them both to Exchange

txschafers
07-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I had the 8125 and have moved back to an 8700 on Cingular. The form factor of the 8125 was a deal breaker for me. Dialing and inputing phone prompts on the screen was a nightmare. Also there is no one handed form factor to the 8125.

That being said, I actually love WM5 and will probably buy the GSM version of the Treo when it is available. the only thing keeping me from firing back up my Treo 650 is that I travle internationally and BB is the only phone that offers an unlimited international data plan.

My 8700 does everything I need it to do. If you want a lot of multimedia stuff then a Treo or 8125 like device might be good. If you are a business user who needs wireless access to your contacts, e-mail tasks, memos and calendar, the 8700 is rock solid!