PDA

View Full Version : Sahring one calendar and set of contacts between 2 Blackberrys

richard.critchlow
07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
I am in the process of setting up hosted Blackberry's for myself and my partner. We both want to work from the same calender and set of contacts. I have created a Calendar and contacts folder in the shared area. However, how do I tell the Blackberry's to look at the shared calendar and contacts rather than the default exchange account calendar and contacts.

If it has an impact, I'm Mac based and using Entourage not outlook on my PCs.

Thanks for any help,
Reagrds
Richard

Triko
07-06-2006, 09:19 PM
You could always sync the BBs to your Mac via USB. Just have both devices point to the same cal and contacts. I'm not certain how you would do this over wireless without BES... HTH.

richard.critchlow
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
I am using the Blackberry's via an exchange account associated with my website and wireless syncing is crucial,
R

JerryD
07-08-2006, 07:14 AM
I am using the Blackberry's via an exchange account associated with my website and wireless syncing is crucial,
R
With the advent of Wireless Calendaring, it is difficult but not impossible. However, if you sync more than one calendar you can NOT have ANY Wireless Calendaring - at least the last time I checked, which means all people sharing will have to have Desktop Manager installed, and their calendars set up for manual syncing. Once you set up the user's primary calendar, you simply add the other calendar(s) you use.

I did this YEARS ago, and now don't remember what happens if you try to add an appointment to the BB calendar - that is, if it defaults to the user's default calendar, or if it asks which calendar to use.

Also, all users accessing a calendar must have OWNER permission on the Mailbox level, and on the shared Calendar's Permissions. If I recall correctly, anything less caused problems.

Also be warned that this setup can cause conflicts within all calendars which are hard to detect, and which can subsequently cause sync issues.

richard.critchlow
07-11-2006, 06:21 AM
So, if the calender is tricky, how would you suggest getting round it? Using the delgate functions? Is there any kind of instruction manual for all this anywhere as I'm new to the inner working and could really do with something to read!

Secondly, I know it's possible to share global contacts as I have that facility on my corporate BB at the moment. However, when I leave that organisation on Friday, I want the same functionality on my business BB,
R

JerryD
07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
So, if the calender is tricky, how would you suggest getting round it? Using the delgate functions? Is there any kind of instruction manual for all this anywhere as I'm new to the inner working and could really do with something to read!

Secondly, I know it's possible to share global contacts as I have that facility on my corporate BB at the moment. However, when I leave that organisation on Friday, I want the same functionality on my business BB,
R
First, I suggest you play with it. As I said, it's tricky, and it's been a long time since I tried it.

Yes, using Exchange (don't know about other Enterprise environments), you can share a Contact Database in Public Folders on a BB, but the sync mechanism for Contacts is completely different than that of the Calendar - or email for that matter. If you set up PIM Sync manually, the Calendar is "Wireless Calendar" but everything else points to the corresponding Outlook folder.

Note that this also has nothing to do with the ability to Lookup entries in the Exchange Global Address List (GAL) which doesn't reside on the BlackBerry at all (our company's US GAL [35,000+ entries] wouldn't fit on a BB - let alone the Global GAL [70,000+ entries]!)

The tricky part is that when you break the Wireless Calendar setup, you have to set up the rest of the sync manually, but when you set those, it defaults back to Wireless Calendar.

You may be better off with a Web calendar like Yahoo or Google!