PDA

View Full Version : How to wipe my 7290?

ccholcomb
07-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Im getting a error message and i want to wipe my devise. And is there anything I need to make sure of before I do it.

NJBlackBerry
07-08-2006, 08:38 AM
What - exactly - are you trying to do?

Do you want to reload the OS?
Do you want to wipe out customer data before you return it?

ccholcomb
07-08-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm getting a error message. "uncaught Exception: Java.Land.nullpointer.exception" It will come up when my BB is idle for a while or when i go to keyboard lock.
Someone told me I shold wipe it, so that's what I was going to do. I just want the error message to stop coming up. Because this morning first thing i had to take the battery out and restart it because it froze up.

swatkins1
07-08-2006, 09:05 AM
I would reload the OS on it

NJBlackBerry
07-08-2006, 09:07 AM
1) Do a backup - maybe make two
2) Search for D_Fisher and get JL_CMder from his signature; it includes the Javaloader program which will totally wipe out his PC.
3) Read thread http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871 to make sure you have the latest handheld OS for your BB

That error is usually caused by third party software.

Good luck!

adamlau
07-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Additional notes on NJBlackBerry's post:

1) You may want to save your phone book database
2. Information regarding JL_Cmder: JL_Cmder (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=18789)
3. Use the latest version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software: Software Download for BlackBerry Support (https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22)

JerryD
07-09-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm getting a error message. "uncaught Exception: Java.Land.nullpointer.exception" It will come up when my BB is idle for a while or when i go to keyboard lock.
Someone told me I shold wipe it, so that's what I was going to do. I just want the error message to stop coming up. Because this morning first thing i had to take the battery out and restart it because it froze up.
Before bothering to wipe the device, there's a couple of things.

First, this error can be caused by a SIM card not completely seated. Make sure it's fully locked in place. (I put this first because it's the LAST thing you might think of - if at all, and will drive you NUTS if you overlook it!)

Second, the most likely cause of this kind of problem is a third party app. If you have other apps you've loaded, either through App Loader or Over The Air, try to determine which one is doing it. Reloading the OS will NOT fix this problem.

You MIGHT be able to determine which app is causing the problem by checking the logs. To do that, while the BB is still working, hold down the half moon :alt: while you type LGLG. This brings up the event log where you can clear events (Click the wheel and select Clear Log). Then click the wheel and select Options. Make sure all events are checked, click the wheel and select Debug info to get as much information as possible. The next time the device reboots, go back into the log and try to determine what cause the problem.

You may also be able to determine from the logs that it's a corrupt service book which you can delete and resend.

If none of that works, go ahead with the Wipe.