PDA

View Full Version : Problems with used Blackberry 7730

DSpencer
07-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

I checked the FAQ and couldn't find any relevant posts.

I am the owner of used Blackberry 7730 that I purchased through an Australian Auction site.

I am having a problem creating my mailbox on the Blackberry Internet Service website. It tells me that an account already exists for my pin.

I have tried through my service provider (Optus) to get the previous owner removed, but have hit a brick wall. They seem unwilling or unable to help. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I should contact in order to get the previous owners details removed?

As it was brought via auction, I have no idea who the previous owner was. I have asked the auction company (Grays Online), but haven't heard anything from them. The unit does display an O2 image when I lock it though.

It seems stupid to me that an otherwise working Blackberry handset can't be used as it still has a previous owner associated with it. Surely this is an issue that a process would exist for? I can understand there needs to be protection for tracking stolen handsets, but the service provider would rather have me purchase a new handset than resolve this problem. When searching the forums, it seems that US customers get better support from thier phone company's than Australians do.

Even though I can't use the BIS, can I still receive emails sent to my device using the Redirector or BES?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Darren

headtailgrep
07-10-2006, 08:45 AM
If you can't contact the previous seller, your SOL buddy. good luck.

Hi Everyone,

I checked the FAQ and couldn't find any relevant posts.

I am the owner of used Blackberry 7730 that I purchased through an Australian Auction site.

I am having a problem creating my mailbox on the Blackberry Internet Service website. It tells me that an account already exists for my pin.

I have tried through my service provider (Optus) to get the previous owner removed, but have hit a brick wall. They seem unwilling or unable to help. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I should contact in order to get the previous owners details removed?

As it was brought via auction, I have no idea who the previous owner was. I have asked the auction company (Grays Online), but haven't heard anything from them. The unit does display an O2 image when I lock it though.

It seems stupid to me that an otherwise working Blackberry handset can't be used as it still has a previous owner associated with it. Surely this is an issue that a process would exist for? I can understand there needs to be protection for tracking stolen handsets, but the service provider would rather have me purchase a new handset than resolve this problem. When searching the forums, it seems that US customers get better support from thier phone company's than Australians do.

Even though I can't use the BIS, can I still receive emails sent to my device using the Redirector or BES?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Darren

rsams
07-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Find out which service the pervious owner used and call their BB support?

rsams
07-10-2006, 09:24 AM
I mean its not like the previous owner needs access to the site anymore.

DSpencer
07-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks to those that replied.

Grays Online Auctions here in Australia have agreed to take it back to determine if it is faulty. I see a Blackberry that can't be used to receive email is faulty. Fingers crossed they will refund me.

I still can't believe how utterly unhelpful Blackberry service providers are in regard to secondhand handsets. Perhaps RIM force this on them? It seems that all they want to do is sell you another Blackberry handset.

Imagine the uproar if you weren't able to use secondhand mobile phones or drive used cars unless the previous owner did exactly as they supposed to.

This whole experience has turned me off Blackberry....

Regards,

Darren

finch
07-12-2006, 07:33 AM
It's not the least bit faulty and it's called security. Simply have the previous user call the carrier the BB was used on and ask the deactivate the PIN and IMEI and your good to go. Known fact next to email one of the core BlackBerry features is security.

DSpencer
07-12-2006, 07:49 AM
What happens if I don't know who the previous owner is or even where it came from? As long as the unit isn't flagged as stolen with Blackberry, then why is it impossible to get the previous owner removed after a given period of inactivity.

I understand that Blackberry should make it difficult to use a stolen handset, but why make it impossible for someone purchasing the unit legally through a legitimate channel?

Darren

ref18
07-12-2006, 10:55 AM
What happens if I don't know who the previous owner is or even where it came from? As long as the unit isn't flagged as stolen with Blackberry, then why is it impossible to get the previous owner removed after a given period of inactivity.

I understand that Blackberry should make it difficult to use a stolen handset, but why make it impossible for someone purchasing the unit legally through a legitimate channel?

Darren

Do you know if the device you bought was stolen from the origional owner? I bought an 87800c off eBay, thought it was legit, and when i went to get it unlocked I was told it was stolen and there's nothing they can do about it.