PDA

View Full Version : ssh on 7100's (how is typing)

buttbutt
02-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Was kinda asked before but not answered, and it is from a while ago. Now that more of you have these things, how's ssh with the different keyboard? At least some FAN pricing has the 7290 and 7100g at the same price. I don't expect to ssh in a ton, but it may sway me, most other things being equal. Do you need to doubletype everything and is doing special characters a PITA? Seems passwords especially may be tough.

gsibble
02-28-2005, 12:32 AM
SSH on the 7200 is a pain in the ass. I don't even bother doing it anymore because it's just too hard.

I'm desperately waiting for the Nokia 9500 and 9300 to get blackberry connectivity so I can get a full keyboard and a lot more functionality.

-GS

buttbutt
02-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I assume you meant the 7100, no? If the 7200 series sucks also I guess I might as well forget about it other than emergencies.

sempai
02-28-2005, 03:08 PM
I've used both.

Its actually fine - on the 7100 you'll want to use Input Mode and not Typing. And sometimes you want to use Input Mode on a 7290 as well, because the latency can *kill* you and you'll drop characters sometimes when just typing away.

I am not sure why. Granted, I'm using MidpSSH, and Mark will say to use the Crazy Cool Mega SSH for a hundred bucks, and he'd probably be right.

It is serviceable, however. Sometimes I login to my Moo from the Blackberry when I'm especially bored.

pcm2
02-28-2005, 03:23 PM
I have MidpSSH and I don't find it horrible. Not something I'd want to use every day, but serviceable. Like sempai said, you'll definitely want to use Input mode, which lets you key in a full line and send it, rather than the interactive "Typing" mode (which has so much latency it's almost unusable). The most irritating thing about it for me was the BlackBerry's annoying tendency to want to capitalize everything for you automatically.

buttbutt
02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
sweet, placed my order today for the g. See how much the weather delays it's shipment.

ReneeS
03-01-2005, 09:38 AM
I like the typing on the 7100g. The trick is to not watch what is displaying on the screen and just hit the buttons to complete the word. I've typed several emails, and have very few errors at the end. Names are a problem the first time you type them, but it seems to 'learn' those names so that the next time...it comes out right. It capitalizes and punctuates where necessary (im=I'm). All in all I give a (y)

bluejae
03-02-2005, 04:45 AM
what is ssh?

sempai
03-02-2005, 09:23 AM
SSH is "secure shell", a drop-in replacement for rsh/rlogin.

bluejae
03-02-2005, 11:02 AM
SSH is "secure shell", a drop-in replacement for rsh/rlogin.

ok... then what is it used for? is this something i should have on my 7100t?

Lucky Luciano
03-04-2005, 05:46 PM
It's a secure shell to a server, basically a secure version of telnet. If you don't know what it is, you most likely won't need it, especially on your blackberry.

bluejae
03-04-2005, 08:00 PM
It's a secure shell to a server, basically a secure version of telnet. If you don't know what it is, you most likely won't need it, especially on your blackberry.

ic... thanx... i've been trying to get questions answered here and there but so few people seem to answer newbies...

you're from austin? a student?

Lucky Luciano
03-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I am, I work and go to school. I'm just at ACC right now because I am working way too much to take a full load at UT. Do you live in Austin?

Mark Rejhon
03-14-2005, 04:43 PM
There is a major new version of Idokorro MobileSSH (http://www.idokorro.com/imsshdownload.html) coming soon, just FYI. (Newer than 1.3.18 ) Keep tuned. They do have a 20-connection free trial, which you can use to compare with midpssh/TelnetFloyd/FloydSSH/etc.

(Disclaimer: Idokorro is now my employer as of March 6th 2005 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3281). Also, Idokorro is a sponsor of BlackBerryForums.)

bluejae
03-15-2005, 04:54 AM
I am, I work and go to school. I'm just at ACC right now because I am working way too much to take a full load at UT. Do you live in Austin?

i'm in my last semester at UT... hopefully i'll be done with it... yeah.. i just started working too... my first day was tonight and i just got home at 3:30am... and my first week of work i'm scheduled enough hours to be paid overtime... crazy... and only one day of training when i'm supposed to have 2-3 days... u heard of pluckers?

Valdoua
03-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Okay, I amy be a little retarded...but what is MidpSSH do I need it? Is it important? What does it eat? How do I care for it? Will it talk dirty to me?

THese questions I think really deserve an answer!

sempai
03-15-2005, 10:19 AM
You tell us?

If you don't know what it is, you don't need it.

It is an SSH client to communicate with SSH daemons. SSH is a drop-in replacement for RSH/RLOGIN.

Mark Rejhon
03-15-2005, 11:07 AM
SSH is very useful to UNIX and Linux people (and sometimes MacOS X people, now that they use UNIX too). SSH is a secure version of telnet (Similiar method). It is also used for some routers, and occasionally for some 80s/90s old-style text-based online entertainment (such as BBS/MUD).

If you don't have any remote UNIX-like systems to administrate (or routers, or other Internet systems that has telnet/SSH access), SSH is probably not useful to you.

Lucky Luciano
03-15-2005, 02:02 PM
i'm in my last semester at UT... hopefully i'll be done with it... yeah.. i just started working too... my first day was tonight and i just got home at 3:30am... and my first week of work i'm scheduled enough hours to be paid overtime... crazy... and only one day of training when i'm supposed to have 2-3 days... u heard of pluckers?

Pluckers is awesome, a buddy of mine live right near there so I'm there quite a bit.

jrhett
03-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Okay, so I don't plan to be doing SSH much with my unit, but just in case there was an emergency it would be nice to grab a wireless keyboard and use it instead. Has anyone found any external keyboards that work?

FYI: I wouldn't care about wireless -- usb keyboard is fine if they support that.

Mark Rejhon
03-15-2005, 06:20 PM
There are no external keyboard for BlackBerry, yet... No word on when that will happen. The best hope might be a Bluetooth keyboard, and even so, it may need to be done over the serial profile (supported) rather than the HID profile (unsupported).

One way around this is to learn to thumb touch type on BlackBerry. I can go 50-70 WPM on the BlackBerry thumb keyboard:
BlackBerry Thumb Touch Typist Guide (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=800)