PDA

View Full Version : 8700g really an 8700c?

meezerbean
07-14-2006, 09:18 AM
I have noticed discovered something very strange... We had another thread that talked about the 8700g losing signal in elevators and such and not re-acquiring it etc., I set my network selection to manual to see what network it was locking on to. It is CINGULAR! My T-Mo 8700g (I have tested this with 9 different 8700g's and they ALL do it) will try to register with a Cingular tower if it loses the T-Mo signal. If you do a Alt-Cap-Del it will re-register correctly. I called T-Mo support and had it escalated to Level 3. I was told they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. My question would be this... Is the 8700g just an 8700c in a different case? I know they are both GSM phones, it would appear that they are all Cingular phones ported to work on T-Mobile's network...

-James

rcbjr
07-14-2006, 10:49 AM
8700s are all the same internally. Just cosmetically different with customized OS versions. I would imagine that this problem has more to do with Tmo's signal not penetrating the building. As well as Cingular (different frequenciy band or closer tower) and your BBs losing the connection abd locking on to a stronger signal. Tno must have a roaming agreement in your area.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

meezerbean
07-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Tmo must have a roaming agreement in your area.

That is what my T-Mobile Business Care rep said as well. My 8700g's will not register on the Cingular network however. It will sit there saying "searching" the arrows blink back and forth and then again it says "searching" Once that starts it will not connect to T-Mo unless I do an ALT-CAP-DEL.

-James

rcbjr
07-14-2006, 05:07 PM
I have heard of problems with some 8700 devices not finding the network without a Hot Reboot or Cold reboot before, when it first came out. I am not sure what the reason was or if they ever got it resolved, but haven't read about it recently.

Sorry
Rcbjr