PDA

View Full Version : Question to Sprint/Verizon 7130e Users?

serrano_yejo
07-16-2006, 01:37 PM
I have an ppc-6700 (crash & reboot special edition) :

If and when the 87xx series comes out in CDMA would you go for it?
why yes?
why not?

Just trying to buy the 7130e or wait for the 87xx series :oops:

steel6
07-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Had the same problem; called customer service and they gave me a $200 credit toward the 7130e and I love it. PPC-6700 is not ready for prime time yet

BallHawk3
07-16-2006, 02:40 PM
I can't stand the multi-tap function. Even all this time I still can't use it. I'll choose a full keyboard anyday. The 7130 is a *****in' unit though. People love the look of it. Its the same as the 8700 except for multi-tap, screen resolution and of course the shape and size. Some people prefere it, some don't.

As for your 6600 have you tried taking it to a sprint service center? If your having trouble, they will swap the unit out (whether you pay for it depends if your subsrcibing to service and repair). But I do believe that model falls under the advange exchange program. Look for a full authorize servic center in your area.

emperorMA
07-16-2006, 03:12 PM
The 7130e isn't at its best using multitap. The Suretype function is the way to go, and it is nearly as fast as a full keyboard. And the smaller unit has a much more pleasant form factor for carrying and for use as a phone.

I don't even think I'll give the 8703 more than a passing look when it is finally released on Verizon. The 7130e is just too good to give up.

koleary19067
07-16-2006, 08:59 PM
I have been very pleased with the 7130e so far.

fizz
07-16-2006, 09:40 PM
IMO, the PPC is trying to handle too much. I have an HP media center (PPC) but it's not a phone and thats how i'd rather have it. it's great to have an all in one, however it's overkill to me. I have the Sprint 7130e for over 3 weeks now and i love it and you get used to the Suretype in about a week and i've added words that i use frequently to the recognizer so that it knows what i'm trying to type when I do it.

bofa_it
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
It all depends on your preference. I've got the Sprint 7130e & do like it, had a 8700c w/ data only. I got tired of carrying a cell & BB, so I integrated. Still haven't got used to the suretype(week 2), but don't send email much, just receive. As a phone/BB, I like the size of the 7130e, but notice there is some lag in the software, hopefully it gets fixed in the next version. Of course, it could be Sprint software & the 87xx they put out could have the same lag. Didn't want to have to hold the 87xx brick up next to my ear to use phone. I've got serveral 8700c users that have both voice & data & have not heard any complaints. You will get used to the suretype it's just a matter of what you want.

AnthroMatt
07-17-2006, 11:45 AM
My girlfriend just got the 8700g from her employer. As a 7130e user, I was messing around with both last night. My unfamiliarity with the shortcuts on the 8700 notwithstanding, I like the 7130 better. Suretype is great, I really don't have an issue with it (took a couple days tho). The full keyboard on the 8700 is ok, but the buttons are too small for my liking. I would hit two of them at once in many instances, and I do not have big fingers.

As a phone, I think the 8700 would bug me (bc of its shape) on any call that lasted more than a couple of minutes. Just too wide for my liking. I think the speakerphone on the 8700 was a bit clearer though. The 8700 also feels like it could withstand a beating better than the 7130. Then again, it's not as important how the plastic case feels on the outside that matters, it's how the guts hold up to abuse. Seems like both the 7130 and the 8700 excel in that regard.

Obviously, in the end it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

serrano_yejo
07-17-2006, 01:21 PM
How is the battery w/ the 7130e is bad as some reviews say?

BallHawk3
07-17-2006, 07:19 PM
size shouldn't matter. I don't care for the size. I think its great for two hand typing (8700). Oh, and bluetooth. I will not talk on myphone without the bluetooth earpiece. I just can't hold phones to my ear anymore. So crude

AnthroMatt
07-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I have not had any battery problems with the 7130e...lasts me two days easy. I don't use bluetooth yet though (still waiting for my sister to send back my headset!)

k40jeep
07-18-2006, 02:13 AM
I work for vzw. I carry the 7130e. I use bluetooth each and every day all day. I get constant emails from my other business and am on the phone all day. I can usually run from 7am until 3am bedtime np. But sometimes if I am using constant data it'll run dry and need a top off......Its fine by my standards especially for all it does.

Textus Maximus
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Battery life on my 7130e has been excellent as well. I saw reviews about short battery life but they leave me scratching my head.

I too like Suretype. I think the secret is to finish the word before you start correcting it. Seems like I get the correct word about 95% of the time, maybe more.

baconismidog
07-18-2006, 10:53 AM
In retrospect my bad battery review was due, entirely, to a third party software called Notifylink. We use to to sync OTA our Groupwise email, contact, tasks, etc. ( I know BES will do that, but we have had this solution in place for years).
This software will communicate as often as you let it and it totally hogs all the proc and mem it can. Total dog, we are switching to BES soon.

Summary: the 7130e battery is as good as any battery on any smartphone with a screen that bright, a processor that big, and live data communication that often...

bofa_it
07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
How is the battery w/ the 7130e is bad as some reviews say?

reviews say gsm phones have better battery life then cdma and iden comes in last. but compared to my 8700c, i don't think it's as bad as the reviews say, i would say they're close. although if you need a BB w/ great battery life, my 957 would go a good week w/o charge, of course you'd have to live w/ a monochrome display. :smile:

deepsamurai
07-19-2006, 07:40 PM
I got rid of my 6700 (Piece of s#&t) for a BB 7130e! I love this device, and I SureType with this keypad just as fast as a regular keyboard! I finally have the device that has everything I need!

fizz
07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I got rid of my 6700 (Piece of s#&t) for a BB 7130e! I love this device, and I SureType with this keypad just as fast as a regular keyboard! I finally have the device that has everything I need!

Battery life always depends on how much you use your device, (bluetooth, browsing, phone, email, etc.), or at least thats what I thought. I just plug my BB in when I'm at my computer since I'm usually syncing anyway so it charges while it does that.

mistermix
07-21-2006, 12:11 PM
I charge my 7130e every night (old habits die hard). The only time it's gotten to 1/2 of remaining charge is when I've been traveling through areas with little or no signal. Constantly trying to establish signal seems to run it down quickly. Otherwise, I'm sure I could go 2 days without a charge.

fizz
07-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I have gone at least 1 1/2 days w/o charging/syncing. But with all the things to do (Brickbreaker, piconews, web browsing, IM'ing, etc.), i don't usually wait that long before I just plug in a charger (auto, PC or AC).

W8RZ
07-21-2006, 01:27 PM
I have the extended battery which cost a bit more but IMHO it is a good thing to have. It doesnt increase the wiidth of the 7130e that much & anyone who chooses to pass on the larger battery for that reason alone is just being silly! I also changed the background of the desktop to the "Plain Jane" white which I'm sure many don't like but will give you additional battery life as it is not being eatin up by a pic. or some other colored background. Just a few thought FWIW.

Satisfied 7130e owner here in Cleveland, Ohio
(y)

07-21-2006, 01:43 PM
I have had my 7130e for about 4 months now and its awesome. No battery issues, great form-fit-function for my liking. with the suretype, I can type faster than on my 7750. battery life has been solid. I am not sure I would go back to the 'brick' type BB's, too clunky.

r2