PDA

View Full Version : Need a New Phone

toastee
07-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Im searching for a new phone and was considering a 8700 or a SK3. Mainly because they have keyboards and I text alot.

Im considering adding the additional data plans later on because I dont browse or email that much but it sounds like once u get it, you'll wonder why you didnt have it in the first place. Because of that, is it easy to sync multiple email accounts (hotmail, and outlook?) And Tmobile offers the best rates.

But for now, which is an overall better phone? I havent played w. the sk3 in the store yet, only seen the dummy model. They seem pretty simular in size, but the screen of the 8700g is amazing! And Ive only played w. the blacberry for a few minutes. I dont quite understand the interface yet, so I guess ease of use would be important as well. I used to have a treo 600 but its outdated for me now.

Are there alot of additional programs to download? I know for the Treo, there were tons. If thats the case, are they easy to use and install, and are they even neccessary? The only other "smartphone" type of device ive used is the treo. Ive read some information on these forums about the 8700 and some of the programs and settings seem a bit confusing.

Pretty much my main concerns are phone quailty(using it as an everyday phone), reception, and overall ease of use.

Also is there any difference with the 8700c and 8700g (Im currently on Tmobile). Or is it just the branding?

Im currently using the Samsung T809 so I can switch back and forth when I dont feel like carrying something that bulky around.

As you can see Im new here, so any other feedback would be great

NJBlackBerry
07-16-2006, 09:24 PM
< 18 - get a SK3
> 18 - get an 8700.

Internally the 8700c and g are identical. They run the same handheld OS. The case is different and the c has some Cingular specific branding on it.

There are NOT a lot of programs, when compared to the Treo. But the BB doesn't need to be reset every day either ;-)

Check out the BB functionality BEFORE you buy one. The SK3 does some more consumer things that a BB can not do today. Don't buy the wrong phone.

mymitsu3kgt
07-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Wow that's a mouth full. Pretty much everyone here will tell you to go with the 8700g if you're going with TMobile. The OS is stronger than the treos because it doesn't crash all the time. The SK is kind of a toy on the side of the 8700g.

VickyPaz
07-17-2006, 08:52 AM
I have had the 8700g with Tmobile for about a month now and I love it. The service has been great so far and the device has been very handy and effecient. I played around with the SK3 at the store (they had a demo there a few days before it was available) and it is also pretty cool but the salesman kept telling me the BB all in all, for email and phone (which is what I need) was much better. I think if you want to have a camera, and those little extras you might want a SK3 but if you want phone, email, web browsing..then BB is the way to go. Go to the store though and let them have you play around with both...that makes a difference. Good luck!

asnpcwiz
07-17-2006, 09:05 AM
< 18 - get a SK3
> 18 - get an 8700.

My wife owns an SK3, and I own an 8700. I personally love my 8700 but it has it shortcomings. If you are more business minded go with the RIM device. If you are more for fun and show, go with the SK3.