PDA

View Full Version : Swap SIM between 8700c and Cingular Razr V3?

taeberry
07-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I have a Razr V3 and am just about to buy an 8700c. (One more week until I can upgrade) I'm going to seriously miss my Razr V3 when I go out at night to an event or on the weekend or the boat, etc..sometimes it's nice to lose the Batman belt and slip that bad boy in your back pocket.

Both my Razr V3 and the 8700 will both be Cingular. Is there any downside to switching the sim back and forth? I don't think call history is saved to the SIM and that may be one disadvantage. Any other disadvantage to switching the sim card between the 8700C and a Cingular Razr?

Cingular stores happily replace the sim card for free if it stops working so wear and tear on it should not be an issue.

NJBlackBerry
07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
No problems doing that...

taeberry
07-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Awesome. Thanks

Lex Luthor
07-18-2006, 09:30 PM
You shouldn't have any wear and tear issues. I've been sim swapping almost daily for a year now and never had any issues at all. I keep my sim in my BlackBerry during business hours and use my Nokia after work. My sim is still working just fine.

paulmac
07-19-2006, 05:38 AM
I have a Razr V3 and am just about to buy an 8700c. (One more week until I can upgrade) I'm going to seriously miss my Razr V3 when I go out at night to an event or on the weekend or the boat, etc..sometimes it's nice to lose the Batman belt and slip that bad boy in your back pocket.

Both my Razr V3 and the 8700 will both be Cingular. Is there any downside to switching the sim back and forth? I don't think call history is saved to the SIM and that may be one disadvantage. Any other disadvantage to switching the sim card between the 8700C and a Cingular Razr?

Cingular stores happily replace the sim card for free if it stops working so wear and tear on it should not be an issue.

I did the same thing months ago, went from a Razr to the blackberry both on Cingular. About the only issue I had was getting my data service working first time I put the SIMM in the BB. If that happens call Cingular BB support not the normal 800 number, at 800-304-3044. And here is the link for Cingular to set up BIS if you need to do that.

http://www.cingular.com/midtolarge/blackberry

As far as the SIMM goes, yeah it might get worn out going back and forth. I had two razrs silver and black and used to switch back and forth. The simm holder in the razr is pretty tight and eventually might cause some damage to the SIMM. If you get SIMM errors don't wait, take it to Cingular so that they can replace it. If you wait too long (I did) the SIMM cannot be read anymore, and they will replace it, but they will not be able to move any of your saved contacts to the new one.

cingular_agent
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
I swap my sim between a RAZR and 8700 every weekend for the same reason and have no issues. Sometimes I need to go back and turn on the wireless on for the BB, but that is a simple click of a button.

stac
07-19-2006, 09:40 AM
I've tried doing this myself - work provided me with a Treo 650 and I personally own my 8700 - but when I move from the BB to the Treo, I don't have internet access. Is that because of the plan that I have (full on internet)?

-Stac

14pups
07-19-2006, 09:52 AM
As I previously posted elsewhere, I forget which thread but I feel it's worth repeating, replacing a BB enabled SIM card in Europe is almost impossible.

Mine went bad last month while in GER and I basically was SOL. The only option was to call the TMO Int'l CS number (505 998 3793) and have them DHL one to you. It was near the end of my trip so I did not hassle with it. Just don't think you can walk into you carrier's nearest local retail store and get a replacement because they can't provision it on their system.

The same goes for getting a replacement battery. Impossible.

Moral of the story: Carry an extra SIM card as well as a battery.

Just my .02.

cingular_agent
07-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I've tried doing this myself - work provided me with a Treo 650 and I personally own my 8700 - but when I move from the BB to the Treo, I don't have internet access. Is that because of the plan that I have (full on internet)?

-Stac

It is possible. For the treo you may have just unlimited Media Net, but for the BB you need a BB data plan. $20 plan versus a $44 plan.

coreyg510
07-19-2006, 10:17 AM
It is possible. For the treo you may have just unlimited Media Net, but for the BB you need a BB data plan. $20 plan versus a $44 plan.

you do know that the prices changed with Cingular recently.......righ? If you're a Cingular Agent, maybe you should check CSP.

cingular_agent
07-19-2006, 11:02 AM
you do know that the prices changed with Cingular recently.......righ? If you're a Cingular Agent, maybe you should check CSP.

From POS: BLACKBERRYCONNECTUNL 44.99 KRB4

Media Max 200 - 200 messages, "UNLIMITED Media Net", Unlimited Video - $19.99

Yes there are plenty of other options, BB w/ Voice and different Media packages, but i was just making a point to the guy. Thanks for your concern though! 8-)

coreyg510
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Actually, while you are correct in prices, you are incorrect. PDA phones need to be provisioned correctly. You will need PDA connect unlimited which is 39.99$. not media net unlimited. Treos use an actually web browser, not the standard Medianet web browser that is included on most cell phones. Also, if he wants to use the BIS package with voice, then it is 29.99. if not then the price is more expensive as stated.

allenranger2
07-19-2006, 11:59 AM
NOBODY argues with the Gecko! Besides, I want pie and chips...

coreyg510
07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
LOL :wink:

cingular_agent
07-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Yes, we have actually added Media Net on to some of our Treo's and they will work, but not fully functional like a data connect plan.

coreyg510
07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Agreed

endodoc
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM

-Stac
The data plan for the 650 is different. I had a 650 prior to my 8700 and it would not work as well. You have to change plans for the BB, there is the "BB Plan" and the Treo data plan.