PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile UK browsers

ihunter
07-19-2006, 06:57 AM
I'm using an 8700g on T-Mobile UK in conjunction with my company's BES server.

I have the t-zones Browser and the BlackBerry Browser that connects through the BES. However, I don't have the Internet Browser that connects directly through an APN.

I've spoken to T-Mobile BlackBerry support and they've told me that I can't have both the BlackBerry Browser and the Internet Browser together and the fact that I use BES means that it's the BlackBerry Browser I get. They resent my service books just in case but to no avail (but then again, if my service books don't include the ones for the Internet Browser it's not going to make much difference).

Is this correct and if not how do I go about getting the Internet Browser installed (I've already tried the suggestions in the FAQ with no success)? Anybody out there on T-Mobile that's got both?

ihunter
07-21-2006, 06:50 AM
Well, to answer my own question, you can have both. You just need to speak to someone who knows what they're doing. :smile:

wibbly
07-21-2006, 07:04 AM
:-)

Dirky
07-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Well, to answer my own question, you can have both. You just need to speak to someone who knows what they're doing. :smile:

Can you clarify for me what each browser does please?

I'm in the Uk, I have T-zones, Blackberry Browser and Browser.
Also using BES and BIS

Thanks
Mike

wibbly
07-21-2006, 07:24 AM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/41013-blackberry-8700-blackberry-8707-a.html#post280654

You contributed to that thread, Dirky.

Dirky
07-21-2006, 07:46 AM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/41013-blackberry-8700-blackberry-8707-a.html#post280654

You contributed to that thread, Dirky.

I'm not 100% sure what the difference is between Blackberry Browser and just Browser is though?

Mike

SplitBusKev
07-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Unless I am missing something, I don't have the Blackberry browser, just the T-Mobile one... ?

wibbly
07-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Blackberry Browser: All traffic goes via RIM (I think) *AND* your BES and out through your company's network/firewall/proxies/etc. Company has complete control of what you can get to. Fully encrypted as far as the BES, so you may get access direct to the company Intranet, for example.

Blackberry Internet Browser (WnW browser on T-Mobile UK): All traffic goes to RIM (I think), and then you have an open connection to the Internet.

wibbly
07-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Unless I am missing something, I don't have the Blackberry browser, just the T-Mobile one... ?

Availablility of the Blackberry Browser (the one that goes via the BES) is I think controlled by policy set on the BES.

Most companies running a BES will choose to make ONLY the Blackberry browser avialable, so they restrict/lock down what their users can get to - much like they may do to desktop users - blocking work-unsafe sites, logging sites accessed, etc. You might get direct access to the Company intranet too, as the connection is secure...

SplitBusKev
07-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Sorry, I'm on BIS, should have said.

wibbly
07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Sorry, I'm on BIS, should have said.

If you have the one that's call 'T-Zones' it's the browser instance configured to go through T-Mobile's WAP gateway.

You need to ask for their "Web'n'Walk" service book to be sent to your BB. This is RIMs Blackberry Internet Browser, and offers xHTML browsing to the internet at large. (The "Blackberry Browser" - no Internet in the name, is the one that works through the BES)

Note you'll pay a lot for browsing this way (only a 3MB allowance if I recall) unless you have a Web'n'Walk price plan to go with it. Check out the options. The Web'n'Walk option on the BB I think comes with a discounted BB 'Instant Email' tariff, so together you don't pay as much extra as you might expect, and you'll get 'unlimited' flat rate GPRS in the UK. That's what I did.

</TITLE><script language="JavaScript">document.title='T-Mobile (UK) :: our price plans';</script><title>T-Mobile (UK) :: our price plans (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk)

I think the BB "instantemail" service is ~ £5 a month on top of these plans which include Web'n'Walk (rather than the normal £10 as an add-on to a Web'n'Walk-less voice-only plan).

Alternatively, if you plan to use less than 3MB/month on non-email internet activity, I think it's probably included in the instantemail price plan you have. Best to check...