PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry CallerID shows up as Company Name

acandido
03-01-2005, 03:39 PM
When i recieve a phone call from someone in my address book, the name comes up as the company name rather than the individual's name. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

chuy
03-01-2005, 03:42 PM
It may have to do with how you have your options set up in the Address Book.

Try switching the "Sort By" option to "First Name" rather than "Company." This should solve your problem.

Get to options by going to Address Book -> Menu -> Options.

Hope that works!

acandido
03-01-2005, 03:51 PM
My address book is sorted by name

jbairdjr
03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I would guess that you have an address book entry for his company. The caller ID displays the name associated to the phone number in the address book.

acandido
03-02-2005, 01:07 PM
No address book entry for the company... I've got 150 users from my company in my address book and each of them come up as the company name

chuy
03-03-2005, 12:17 PM
I tried it from work this morning, called my Blackberry from my desk, and my company name came up. I'll bet anything that you have his work number stored and a company name stored, and that the BB assumes that it should display the company name.

Try taking the company name out of the address book entry and see if that solves the problem.

ed_nyc
03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I am having the same problem as of yesterday but only with a few contacts... This odd.

susieque1128
05-17-2005, 03:16 AM
Maybe your answer works for those whose BBerry account is in their personal name. My BBerry was purchased by my company, therefore, my name is not on the account. Because of this, the company name appears.

BBxer
05-27-2005, 02:45 PM
I have the same problem activating on a BES. Company name is being listed.

Has anyone determined how to change the "Phone" incoming call history (CallerID) from Company Name to First Last Name ?

I would hate to think BB would force this setting down as the only default.

Thanks
BBxer

susieque1128
05-27-2005, 03:05 PM
If I'm understanding your question correctly, check out the "phone options". Under "Call Logging", there is an option to change the "Phone List View" to: Most recent, most used, name, call log.
Let me know if this is your answer.

BBxer
05-27-2005, 10:01 PM
What you stated will only reorder the phone list based on the selection, not actually change the entry displayed information.

I was in a rush when I posted and may have not been clear. It seems that when you receive a call, the BlackBerry’s callerid lists the Company Name and not the First and Last Name fields. I would like to change this to First and Last Name because it is more meaningful to see a person’s name and not a Company Name.

From what I can tell, from other posts, that this seems to be a BlackBerry default for using a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). I would hope that BlackBerry (RIM) would not be that stupid as to default the Company Name down to the device.

I do appreciate your post.
BBxer

WNO
06-01-2005, 01:08 AM
That may well be the case w/ the BES; I wouldn't be surprised. For what it's worth, though, the phone list order/format does -- at least for BWC users -- have some relationship with how a caller's information is displayed. I actually had the opposite problem a while back: for entries that had only a company's name, the caller ID would be blank except for a comma. By playing around with the name display options (in the language settings?), the problem was resolved. Doesn't sound like it will help the BES situation, but it might be worth some experimentation.

apperrault
06-01-2005, 09:39 AM
The same thing happens to me, and it is because our PBX phone system, doesnt show our individual numbers when we dial out, it shows the main number. If you call your home number, what number shows up on your caller ID at home? If you get your individual number, not your main corporate number, then I dont know what to tell you, if you get the main number like we do, then that solves your problem.

hope that helps. I am new to this forum, and it ROCKS!!!
I just got a 7520 and I LOVE IT!!!

app

BBxer
06-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies and info... unfortunately, my BB contact has a name and a company associated with multiple numbers; work, home, mobile, fax... When a call is placed to my BB from a number that is associated with this contact, it displays the company name and not the persons name. I do not see any option to change this internal to the BB device nor on the BES. Maybe some guru out there can provide some feedback on its limitations / configuration... off to search another issue.

I agree this forum is extremely helpful... but I have yet to get any resolve to this issue.

BBxer

rapamatic
07-25-2005, 09:15 PM
I am having the same problem. Also on BES. Any updates on a solution or work-around? I note that for address book entries without a company name it displays first and last name correctly, but I certainly don't want to remove company names from my contacts!

Thanks!

walbern1
07-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I have a 7750 with 4.0 on BES and all my contacts show up on caller ID with the first and last names rather then Business name. I don't remember setting up anything different but my address book is set up to sort by first name.

silbertanne
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
I am having the same problem. Also on BES. Any updates on a solution or work-around? I note that for address book entries without a company name it displays first and last name correctly, but I certainly don't want to remove company names from my contacts!

Thanks!
I am on BIS and having the same problem.
I might move the company info to another field, so the caller shows up as the caller.

silbertanne
09-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I did clear the original company name field and instead I used the field "user1". The name of this field can be changed by clicking the wheel and, of course, I named it "Company". It then does change the name of this field for all contacts. Problem solved!