PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for SRP Connection down

ujbandara
07-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Hi,

I herd that there are several reason relate to down the SRP connection.
One reason may be Expire the BES trial version.
What are other reasons?

Upul

juwaack68
07-25-2006, 06:51 AM
If the SRP connection (to RIM) fails a certain number of times in 1 minute (I think it's 5 times), then the SRP will get 'locked' and RIM has to unlock it. I had this happen to me a couple of months ago.

Another reason is your company's internet connection might be down, so the SRP can't get out to connect to RIM. Had this one yesterday. I love it when circuits go down....

ujbandara
07-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Say, SRP will get 'locked' due to some reason.
If we are using a BES trial version, then how can we unlock it?
Do we have to inform to RIM?

Are there a unique SRP address/ SRP identifier for each BES?

And the other question is when the BES trial version gets expired, that relevant SRP is automatically disconnected?

-Upul

juwaack68
07-25-2006, 07:17 AM
You would need to contact RIM to unlock it, but most likely they will not if it's a trial version. You'd have to purchase it (or purchase a new one).

Yes, SRP's are unique to each BES. It's possible to have a 'stand-by' BES with the same SRP ID, but they can't both be running (i.e, connected to RIM) at the same time. The 'stand-by' BES would only be activated if something happened to the production BES.

ujbandara
07-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks,
And.... say we use BES trail version during last 3 months. And now it gets expired.
Then we ask again for another BES trail.
Do they give it or reject it?
Can we demand BES trail (with MDS) version several times from RIM?

_Upul Bandara
_Sri Lanka

noname
07-25-2006, 08:18 AM
As far as i know, once trial version expired, you need to purchase. You were given ample time to test in 90 days, which I think is enough for you to test it out...

BOHIC
07-25-2006, 08:30 AM
As far as i know, once trial version expired, you need to purchase. You were given ample time to test in 90 days, which I think is enough for you to test it out...

I was able to get a trial version of 4.1 towards the end of when my 4.0 trial expired. I don't know if they allowed it because of the version switch, or if they simply don't monitor how many trials you download.

noname
07-25-2006, 08:41 AM
You must have been given a new SRP? Temp SRP Key expires... either way... software may expire and later SRP Key and later Client Access License key...

Zro
07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
noname is correct. The SRP, the CAL's and the software can all expire. If your temp SRP has expired, it cannot be activated again. You may be able to get another temp one, but you'd have to have a good reason for it (same with CAL's and software).

Think of it this way, if people just kept getting new temp SRP's then why would they bother buying one? and if they don't buy them, then RIM doesn't make money.

90 days is lots of time to test it out. If you're in the position where your 90 days have expired and you're going through the approval process to purchase one, RIM may issue you another one until you get the new one.

Zro

ujbandara
07-25-2006, 11:09 PM
We feels that mails are not deliverd to BB device.....

How we identify that SRP is blocked?
Did they send warninig message or reminds, before closing SRP?
Or else do we have to go through the event log and find out error descriptions?

Description:
SRPClient::Connect: Error calling host "localhost" [127.0.0.1] (0)

Description:
[SRP] Dispatcher\SRP Connection dropped, Error=0

Description:
[SRP] Connection failed

gziz
07-25-2006, 11:34 PM
the software doesnt expire, just the CAL's and SRP.
so if your SRP expired and you got a new one all you would have to do it put in the new SRP and the auth. key and then the BES will send down new service books with the new SRP to the HH's and start a "slow sync" process.

the software will never expire just the SRP and CAL. but its useless to have the software installed without having a valid SRP.

peace.

gziz
07-25-2006, 11:54 PM
We feels that mails are not deliverd to BB device.....

How we identify that SRP is blocked?
Did they send warninig message or reminds, before closing SRP?
Or else do we have to go through the event log and find out error descriptions?

Description:
SRPClient::Connect: Error calling host "localhost" [127.0.0.1] (0)

Description:
[SRP] Dispatcher\SRP Connection dropped, Error=0

Description:
[SRP] Connection failed

if you are having the issue that your SRP is connecting to the RIMM NOC but then is disconnecting because network issues or latency the SRP will keep on trying to connect untill it trys 5 times in one minute after that the SRP will get disabled.

in order to prevent the "5 in 1 rule" from happening( if this is whats happening) then you need to add a registry item that tells the SRP to only try to connect every 15 seconds if the SRP doesnt connect therefore having a maximun 4 attempts to connect in 1 minute.

here is the knowledge base article blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/8149/8052/How_To_-_Delay_BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_SRP_reconnects.html?nodeid=1256007&vernum=0 - Redirection

peace

ujbandara
07-25-2006, 11:54 PM
So ... ..
How can we obtain a new SRP?
What is the Procedure to follow?
Who should we have to contact to get new SRP/auth. key?
Are there Agents for that?

gziz
07-26-2006, 12:09 AM
if your temp SRP ( its going to start with a T) is expired i would call your service provider or who ever gave you the free SRP and tell them you want to test it out for a little while longer because your not ready to decide and they will usually give you another one depending on who who get.

i have a tsupport contract with RIM and this entitles you to get temp SRP's anytime if you just tell them that you need it for testing but RIM does not support the test SRP's if you dont have what they call a TX3 contract.

so if you want your BES back up your either gonna have to purchase a SRP from your service provider or from RIMM or try to weisel your way into another temp SRP.

ujbandara
07-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks, I got lot of ideas...

Zro
07-26-2006, 07:31 AM
the software will never expire just the SRP and CAL. but its useless to have the software installed without having a valid SRP.

There are versions of the software that will expire. We received a download link at BrainShare this year for a test version (with temp SRP and CALs) and the SRP and CAL's expired, so we entered in a new Temp SRP and different CALs, but then the actual software expired.

I believe it was about 120 days after install. So it's longer than the 90 day temp CAL and SRP.

Zro

ujbandara
07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Our service provider informs us that they can’t extend the trial BES or new trial SRP.
So what can we do?
When we consider from service provider’s side, is it big issue for them to release new SRP or trial version?

(Service provider ask us to buy the BES)

|||||||
07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Our service provider informs us that they can’t extend the trial BES or new trial SRP.
So what can we do?
When we consider from service provider’s side, is it big issue for them to release new SRP or trial version?

(Service provider ask us to buy the BES)

Buy a BES, its called a Trial for a reason

ujbandara
07-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Ya, anyway we need to buy it.
But when compare the prices it is too much.

BlackBerry site it is 3999$
But our service provider ask for 4500$

So, who is set the value for it, RIM or service provider?

steven_bbadmin
07-29-2006, 04:50 AM
IF....
BlackBerry site sells = 3999$
Your service provider = 3999$
How they survive?...

youpul
07-31-2006, 06:16 AM
Ya, we can purchase it directly from BlackBerry (RIM)

I mean even we brought it directly from RIM; we have to deal with our service provider for connectivity.

Anyway why they give/maintain different prices?
Can they (provider) achieve profit via selling BES, because RIM is cheap, Provider asks for more.

BES is belonging to RIM and how/why they(provider) ask for more?
Do they have rights to ask for more?

bbgirl
07-31-2006, 07:45 AM
I was able to get a trial version of 4.1 towards the end of when my 4.0 trial expired. I don't know if they allowed it because of the version switch, or if they simply don't monitor how many trials you download.

so with this trial, I wonder is the actual service included? I mean I have a bunch of dummy bb's. With no service plan, I wonder if I can stick them on my trial bes????