PDA

View Full Version : New Google Maps for Mobile

Wishdemon
07-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Hey all...found out that Google Maps has updated their mobile software to allow for realtime traffic conditions in 30 major metro areas (like NY, Chicago, DC, etc). I had to uninstall my old version and then go to Google Maps (http://google.com/gmm) on my bb to download the updated version.

It shows traffic in red, green, and another color conditions (I'm sure you can figure out what red and green signify).

enjoy.

drunknmunkie
07-25-2006, 01:43 PM
i live in the DC area, and it's pretty cool.

green == good
yellow == moderate
red == bad

that's what I've come up with so far.

moosehead
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Thx man! Have to try it out. I hope Charlotte is listed.....

gendlich
07-25-2006, 02:24 PM
I installed the new version (1.3.0) this morning and it asked me if I wanted to remove the old one, with this I said yes, this is where I had a problem.

after the install was done I had both versions available to use with no place in Applications to remove it.

I removed the GMM version that was in applications and the one listed removed 1.3.0, of corse that was the wrong one

after digging around I found "gmaps7130_v4_0_en" under Options>Advanced Options>Applications>BlackBerry 4.1 Core Applications>Modules

after removing that module I pulled the battery and reloaded with no Google maps installed and was able to reinstall 1.3.0 without a problem

juwaack68
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
after digging around I found "gmaps7130_v4_0_en" under Options>Advanced Options>Applications>BlackBerry 4.1 Core Applications>Modules

after removing that module I pulled the battery and reloaded with no Google maps installed and was able to reinstall 1.3.0 without a problem

If you use JavaLoader to remove the module, it's much easier. I used it to remove the old module version and it worked great - and no reboot or reinstall.

evilcaptain
07-25-2006, 02:55 PM
I removed the old version before OTA of the new version. No problems. Nice new feature.

moosehead
07-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Removed by going to Options-->Advanced Options-->Applications (incase someone asks how). Removed successful upon reboot received a Java Exception error(no clue) and install new version OTA and running well.

PaCharger
07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
fyi, INRIX is the provider - NEW startup??
hmmm

Google adds live traffic tips to mobile service

P-I STAFF

Google Inc. says it plans to offer live traffic information for mobile phones in more than 30 cities in the United States, including Seattle, starting today

The feature expands Google's mapping technology into an area where Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo already have a presence, but in different ways. Yahoo and Microsoft offer real-time traffic information on their Web-based mapping services for PCs, and Microsoft's research unit has licensed traffic-monitoring technology for mobile devices to a Kirkland-based startup, Inrix Inc.

Google's new mobile traffic service doesn't predict upcoming road conditions, unlike the technology that Microsoft Research licensed to Inrix. At the same time, the mobile version of Microsoft's MSN mapping technology for consumers doesn't include traffic information.

The Google traffic feature will be released as an update to the free Google Maps for Mobile service, said Gummi Hafsteinsson, a product manager with the company. In the cities where it works, the feature will show traffic conditions on most major highways -- indicating green for clear roadways, yellow for medium congestion and red for high congestion or stopped traffic.

Google Maps for Mobile works on Java-enabled mobile devices. For now, the new Google traffic service isn't available on the version of Google Maps for PCs, Hafsteinsson said.

PaCharger
07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
and more info...

Inrix Delivers Real-Time Speed & Flow Information for
36 Metropolitan Markets
Inrix Now Delivers Accurate, Real-Time Speed & Flow Information for 36 Metropolitan Markets
Inrix Dust Network Provides Broadest Nationwide Market Coverage

KIRKLAND, WA – July 5, 2006 – Inrix announced today it is delivering accurate, real-time speed and flow information for 36 metropolitan markets, making the company the broadest nationwide coverage provider of real-time flow information. Leveraging the real-time vehicle GPS probe data from the ‘Inrix Dust Network,' the company launched six new metropolitan markets today including Dallas, Hartford, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, and Orlando.

Inrix is uniquely delivering speed information now for all six markets as these metropolitan areas today have limited or no traditional sensor infrastructure. Combined with twelve markets launched last quarter – including Austin, Boston, Columbus, Grand Rapids, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, New York, Philadelphia, Providence, Richmond-Petersburg, San Antonio, Tampa and West Palm Beach-Boca Raton -- and previous market data aggregated from road sensor networks, Inrix now provides the broadest market coverage of any provider in the United States.

"Today's announcement of real-time flow coverage for six new markets further positions Inrix as the only company with a scaleable solution to deliver useful and relevant traffic flow information nationwide," said Inrix President and CEO Bryan Mistele. "We are ahead of schedule for the Inrix Dust Network to provide real-time flow information for over 50 markets by the end of the year, representing more than 35,000 miles of road coverage – more than seven times the coverage that is available today through road sensor networks."

Inrix is the first nationwide traffic service to go beyond the limitations of road sensors and provide accurate real-time and predictive traffic speed and flow information for major freeways, highways, arterials and side streets in every major metropolitan area.

Inrix currently provides businesses and regional departments of transportation (DOTs) agencies with real-time traffic incident information for 138 metropolitan markets and with this announcement now provides real-time traffic speed and flow information for 36 markets across the country, making Inrix the clear leader in traffic flow coverage.

Current metropolitan markets include:
Atlanta, GA Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Austin, TX New York Metropolitan Area (NY, NJ)
Baltimore, MD Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA
Boston, MA Orlando, FL
Chicago-Gary, IL Philadelphia, PA
Columbus, OH Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
Dallas, TX Portland-Salem, OR
Denver-Boulder, CO Providence, RI
Grand Rapids, MI Richmond-Petersburg, VA
Hartford, CT Sacramento, CA
Houston-Galveston, TX Salt Lake City, UT
Indianapolis, IN San Antonio, TX
Jacksonville, FL San Diego, CA
Las Vegas, NV San Francisco Metropolitan Area, CA
Los Angeles Metropolitan Area, CA Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Louisville, KY Tampa, FL
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL Washington, DC-Northern VA
Milwaukee, WI West Palm Beach-Boca Raton, FL
About Inrix

Founded in July 2004 by former Microsoft executives Bryan Mistele and Craig Chapman, Inrix delivers nationwide access to the most advanced and reliable real-time and predictive traffic information available today, providing industry partners and customers with high-quality, accurate data for personal navigation, mapping, and other location-based service applications in the car, online and on mobile devices.

Inrix Traffic Services leverage robust Bayesian statistical analysis to aggregate and enhance traffic-related information from hundreds of public and private sources, going well beyond the limitations of static road sensor networks, historical-based models and cellular data aggregators, to offer customers the most sophisticated understanding of the unique system-wide traffic patterns in each metropolitan area. To experience the traffic technology revolution behind the next-generation of navigation and location-based service applications, visit Inrix (http://www.inrix.com).
Other product or service names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.