PDA

View Full Version : New Google Maps Mobile

allenranger2
07-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey guys. There is a new version of Google Maps Mobile released for our 8700's (and some of the other 71xx's). It shows traffic and saves your favorite searches.

I'm from NYC, and so far I'm not able to see any traffic. Now..that's just not possible...

Google Maps (http://www.google.com/gmm) from your browser

Is anyone able to see the traffic?

PaCharger
07-25-2006, 03:30 PM
yep, baltimore area is populated

moosehead
07-25-2006, 03:33 PM
In Charlotte, NC......I-77 and I-85 show sections in green. I assume that means no traffic or traffice moving at a resonable speed....Being 4:30PM I find it hard to believe.

VidGameKing
07-25-2006, 03:43 PM
uh, downloaded the new version, Live in the San Francisco Bay Area, how does this traffic thing work?

MajSingh
07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
i'm not familiar with this new version (yet) but id assume that by "traffic" they don't mean a "live" traffic status, but rather the average travel time for that particular road. I've seen a mapping software before that would use red, yellow, and green to show how fast that roadway usually moves. So if I see a green roadway I know the traffic would usually be moving better than someone i then red or yellow....just a thought....

thenewnoise
07-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I downloaded the new version but it looks like the upgrade didn't take because it still showed version 1.2.3 or whatever it was. I went into the applications and removed it and restarted but Google maps is still on the device and no longer shows up the application list. Any ideas how to get rid of it now?

thenewnoise
07-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Now both versions 1.2.3 and 1.3.0 are installed but only 1.3.0 shows up in the application list. There are two icons on the home screen and both run.

bigboy
07-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Now both versions 1.2.3 and 1.3.0 are installed but only 1.3.0 shows up in the application list. There are two icons on the home screen and both run.

I got the same damn thing! How do I get rid of the old version?!

(i'm afraid to find out that it might require wiping :-( )

NJBlackBerry
07-25-2006, 05:11 PM
No wiping required.
Options / Advanced / Applications / Click wheel and view modules

find the old one and delete it.

gofindsam
07-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Where is the link to download the software to the device for google map?

PaCharger
07-25-2006, 05:19 PM
here it is gofindsam Google Maps (http://www.google.com/gmm)

thenewnoise
07-25-2006, 05:19 PM
No wiping required.

that worked, thanks

infernox
07-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Nice upgrade!

rickthornton
07-25-2006, 06:32 PM
i'm not familiar with this new version (yet) but id assume that by "traffic" they don't mean a "live" traffic status, but rather the average travel time for that particular road. I've seen a mapping software before that would use red, yellow, and green to show how fast that roadway usually moves. So if I see a green roadway I know the traffic would usually be moving better than someone i then red or yellow....just a thought....

The instructions indicate that you press the "#" key to display traffic information, which then shows green for 50 mph +, yellow for 20 - 50, and red for less than 20 (or something like that). It only works in larger cities, and it only has data for certain roads/highways. Obviously, I don't know what their data source is or how current it is, but you could tell from the data download indicator that it was downloading new data to the BB when you selected "show traffic".

PaCharger
07-25-2006, 06:37 PM
inrix.com
its modeled data with cellular traffic and gps reads to build into the predictor. I posted the article somewhere on one of the 4 other google map threads. Inrix (http://www.inrix.com) has the content. Pretty interesting...and its new and growing

johnfromphilly
07-25-2006, 06:38 PM
I tried it- pretty cool but have to wait to see how accurate it is. If it is accurate then that is a winner for me!

This thread gets into the company behind it:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/41957-new-google-maps-mobile.html

moosehead
07-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Sort of cool....i say sort of because I want to test how accurate it is. Today at 4:30pm in Charlotte NC all lanes were green....i find that hard to believe...but will test for sure Friday rush hour.

Thank you to everyone who passed along this new upgrade.

DHermit
07-25-2006, 10:17 PM
link would be nice....

Is this the newest version? Google Maps (http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html)

No wiping required.

The new one asked if I wanted to overwrite the old one, I said yes, and I have 2 icons on my desktop, but when I go to apps, I only see the new one, and no old one to delete...

discduce
07-26-2006, 12:20 AM
This new GMM is really great but how should it be used in comparison to Google Local for the BB? It seems a bit redundant even though the new version of GMM does have some sort of Traffic read out.

Any thoughts?

allenranger2
07-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Google Local is just an older version of this one. They both have the same idea behind them.

NJBlackBerry
07-26-2006, 11:29 AM
The new one asked if I wanted to overwrite the old one, I said yes, and I have 2 icons on my desktop, but when I go to apps, I only see the new one, and no old one to delete...

You have to click the wheel and select Modules (as was posted in earlier) and delete the module itself, and not the application.

roybeasley
07-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I got it downloaded, but now when I click on the icon, I get:

Error starting gmaps8700_v4_0_L1: Error loading module 'gmaps8700_v4_0_L1' too many apps on device.

I realize that I have 2 Beiks dictionaries loaded (the Medical Dictionary and the Medical Acronyms Dictionary), but I only have around 30 icons - I wouldn't think I have too many apps. Status shows File Free: 37211068 Bytes. Am I just out of memory ?

Grex
07-26-2006, 04:17 PM
just installed, pretty cool. seems pretty accurate for the NJ/NY area.

nelis x
07-26-2006, 05:25 PM
pretty accurate for the DC/Northern VA Area....showed the right areas along the interstate at red, yellow, green

debsbb
07-26-2006, 05:41 PM
this is great. does anyone know if traffic is linked with sigalert?

brussell96
07-26-2006, 08:55 PM
What is he link to the new Google Maps. I liven in Winston Salem.

hf1khal
07-26-2006, 09:09 PM
What is he link to the new Google Maps. I liven in Winston Salem.

Download from here: Google Maps (http://www.google.com/gmm) then zoom in to your area and then click for trafic.

takeshi
07-27-2006, 08:41 AM
It's highly inaccurate for Houston. I don't know how it works but I'd guess that it uses incident reports. At 6:00pm on a weekday, no freeway in Houston is green despite what GMM claims.

roybeasley
07-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, takeshi! I'm also in Houston, so once I get this working (see my error message above), I'll check it out, too. How far south does the Houston traffic map go? I drive to/from Clear Lake down the Beltway to I45 South...

sugarfish
07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
I live in LA and I tested it in morning traffic on the 10-West around 9:45ish and the traffic feed was accurate to every turn! Amazing!

stripesace
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Houston Guys,

It seemed fairly accurate this week. The rain days were messed up, even click2houston.com's weather site was way off! But on 290, etc. there have been some days in the afternoon at 6PM were traffic was moving alot faster than what we've gotten used to.

BBDevil
07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
remarkably accurate in Las Vegas, NV. I use it getting home from work every day

gofindsam
07-30-2006, 04:29 AM
Very Accurate Here In Chicago!

Ron Steven
07-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Yes, I just downloaded it yesterday. SD shows traffic just fine. Question though, when I downloaded the upgraded version it put a second icon on the screen leaving the other icon (the old version) there also. Does anyone know how to delete it? I tried deleting the application but still there.

JerryD
07-30-2006, 09:00 AM
If you install version 1.3 on top of 1.2, you won't see the traffic even after a reboot - in fact you won't even see version 1.3.

You have to manually delete the 1.2 module. See this post:
Google Local 1.3 - W-Traffic Updates (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/41923-google-local-1-3-w-traffic-updates.html#34)

matt2meyer
07-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Traffic indicator's been good here in Philly/S Jersey. About a reliable as you can get...

kitmoni
07-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Is there a download link to install from the app loader? I'm unable to do OTA on our BES policy, but I can install via app loader.

cellguy
07-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Just downloaded the upgrade. Loads fine and can see traffic for Minneapolis just fine.

kitmoni
07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Ok, I tried to post on the Google discussion group about getting a version I can install with app loader. That pointed me to a link where I can get JAD or JAR files, but I'm used to my app loader using .alx files. Is there another way I can install these, or do I need another link?

DHermit
07-31-2006, 08:29 PM
traffic thing doesn't seem to work in Orlando, I hit Show Traffic and nothing happends.

dbailey
07-31-2006, 09:19 PM
I got it downloaded, but now when I click on the icon, I get:

Error starting gmaps8700_v4_0_L1: Error loading module 'gmaps8700_v4_0_L1' too many apps on device.

I realize that I have 2 Beiks dictionaries loaded (the Medical Dictionary and the Medical Acronyms Dictionary), but I only have around 30 icons - I wouldn't think I have too many apps. Status shows File Free: 37211068 Bytes. Am I just out of memory ?
does anyone have the answer to roybeasley's problem? this has also happened to me more than once. when i add any new programs it say, " error loading module, too many apps on device", yet i have a ton of space left on the phone memory. has this happened to anyone else? a hard reboot over and over, does not help. thanks.

sd5187
08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
does anyone have the answer to roybeasley's problem? this has also happened to me more than once. when i add any new programs it say, " error loading module, too many apps on device", yet i have a ton of space left on the phone memory. has this happened to anyone else? a hard reboot over and over, does not help. thanks.

If I remember correctly (and I may be wrong - wouldn't be the first time) RIM allocates so much memory for o/s, some for apps, and some for other services. You may have reached your cap for installed apps yet still have mem available for other services.

dbailey
08-01-2006, 02:10 PM
so i suppose "other services" would be anything that does not appear on the main menu as an icon, i.e. theme, ringtone, etc. That sucks!! why should i be surprised.

Beazzy
08-03-2006, 08:22 AM
I used, with some success, the new version in and around Detroit/Ann Arbor yesterday. The traffic function seemed accurate - - if only it could have re-routed me out of the traffic mess/accident around the airport!!

b3n_asian_freak
08-03-2006, 08:45 AM
From Houston, Texas and on a trip in Seattle, WA, the new traffic maps worked great at these locations.

FightingDevil
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I am really liking this new version! I especially like:
- saving places as favorites
- satellite (not new, but seems to be a little quicker and cleaner than before)
- the quicker startup and splash screen

8-)

nlk10010
08-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I had an old version of Google Maps installed for several months (I don't recall what they called it, probably Google Mobile) and found the Location feature to be pretty well accurate.

With Google Maps I'm finding when I try to pinpoint an address on the map it gives me the wrong location. It's usually a few miles east and/or north of the actual spot and has caused me to miss finding places on more than one occasion. I'm in the NYC/LI area; anyone else with this problem or is there a way to somehow reset the maps?

If I could go back to the old version I probably would but I'm not sure that's the best strategy, at least just yet.

=NLK=

Stinsonddog
08-10-2006, 03:17 PM
I had an old version of Google Maps installed for several months (I don't recall what they called it, probably Google Mobile) and found the Location feature to be pretty well accurate.

With Google Maps I'm finding when I try to pinpoint an address on the map it gives me the wrong location. It's usually a few miles east and/or north of the actual spot and has caused me to miss finding places on more than one occasion. I'm in the NYC/LI area; anyone else with this problem or is there a way to somehow reset the maps?

If I could go back to the old version I probably would but I'm not sure that's the best strategy, at least just yet.

=NLK=

I had that happen last week. 3 miles off. Was surprised.

nlk10010
08-10-2006, 03:40 PM
I had that happen last week. 3 miles off. Was surprised.

Yea, I mean, telling me a Surf Club was several miles inland is one thing (I knew it was wrong from the getgo) but trying to track down a restaurant with wifey in the car and then giving up when GM showed me the wrong spot did NOT earn me or my 8700 any brownie points.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one (and it's not only a problem in the NE).

=NLK=

chirayu
08-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Works perfectly fine in CA bay area. However there are some times when I am not able to see the traffice indicator but it usually works most of the times.

Ron1n
08-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Nice update...works fine for me. :)

speedy6
08-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Works for me too...good find!

stealthx32
08-11-2006, 05:37 AM
Its great in LA. But here in Pittsburgh, 95% of the lanes are white. What does that mean? Just no data? I rarely see green, and sometimes I see red (which is accurate btw).

bigdongers
08-12-2006, 08:13 AM
using the old Google Local Maps app, I was able to do searches for places in Australia. For example "Sydney Opera House". Now searching doesnt work for Aus :(

Can anyone test this?

FightingDevil
08-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Worked fine for me. I went to 'Find Location', typed 'Sydney Opera House' and GL found it, no problem. I've typed in UK post codes and haven't had a problem, either. I also typed in 'Empire State Building' and that worked good also. Are you trying it using the 'Find Business' link? That might be your issue. Thanks!

b3n_asian_freak
08-12-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't have problem with Google Maps at all since it's too good to be free. Anyway, in Houston, TX, it works just great. Same thing at Seattle, WA.

sigmamason
08-14-2006, 10:17 PM
This is great. As a mortgage consultant/real estate wholesaler...i definitely need this kind of data...

LAPec
08-15-2006, 09:37 AM
I downladed the app successfully according to the message I got after the download was complete but I never got an icon on the home screen. what did I do wrong?

dkf747
08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
If you have an Applications folder try to see if it's there.