PDA

View Full Version : Using a CDMA Blackberry 7250 with a Different Cell Phone Carrier

BBMAN83
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I have a Blackberry 7250 with Verizon Wireless and I wanted to know if there is any way that I could use that Blackberry on the Sprint network. Both Verizon and Sprint carry 7250 model which uses CDMA technology as opposed to GSM.

Dubdub
07-26-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't think so. The CDMA carriers (Verizon and Sprint) pretty much keep track of the phones on their network and only allow phones made for them.

GSM (Cingular and T-Mo) are different however in that they allow unlocked phones on their networks. Keep in mind, a CDMA phone will not work on a GSM network.

jbairdjr
07-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I had thought of buying a Verizon 7250 to use on Alltel's Network.
The Alltel reps that I spoke to (several) could not say one way or the other if they would activate the phone (or even if they could activate the phone).
I ended up buying a new Alltel 7250.
But, I have purchased 3 BBs on EBAY, and had great luck. Make sure you look there before you buy.

robber
07-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Verizon used to allow non VZ branded phones to be activated on their network. Fairly recently they changed that policy. Sprint has NEVER allowed non Sprint branded phones to be activated.

If the phones ESN is not in Sprints/VZs database they will not activate it.

I am not sure what alltel's policy is.

robber
07-27-2006, 08:24 AM
There are ZERO exeptions unless you start talking about substantially hacking into the device.