PDA

View Full Version : 7130C from Cingular, is it a good phone?

stevestr
07-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Guys, I could use some help.
I have been using a T3 palm using a motorola BT phone as the modem so that I can get my emails using versamail, and built-in web browser in the t3 for surfing, etc. on Cingular GPRS. I sync with outlook 2003 on my desktop with heavy use.
I am thinking of getting upgrading to the 7130c all-in one PDA device and trashing my T3 and Motorola (they are over 2 years old now).
I own my own company (small business) and do not use or have a need for an exhange service at this time.
Does anyone have experience with the 7130C on cingular network and sync with Outlook 2003 on your desktop, such as contacts, schedules, tasks, etc?
I tried both the Cingular 8125 and Treo650, and they both are not what I am looking for and I was not happy with their features/functions. Too much brain damage to use and the Treo, my goodness, I'm not sure why anyone would own one of those devices. It was a nightmare trying to use it without any sounds coming from the device when dialing. I found myself always looking down to see if the touchscreen accepting the numbers I was dialing....dangerous if you are dialing and driving.
Thanks in advance!

Bennett5000
07-27-2006, 05:56 PM
I have the 7130c (Cingular) and sync to Outlook via desktop and have not had any probs. I sync calendar, todo, notes, task,etc and it has worked as advertised.

tmj
07-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm using it exactly as you describe, and am very happy. The phone works so well that i often forgo the bluetooth headset. Also, the upgrade to edge for web surfing is nice.

Highly recommended

stevestr
07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm using it exactly as you describe, and am very happy. The phone works so well that i often forgo the bluetooth headset. Also, the upgrade to edge for web surfing is nice.

Highly recommended

stevestr
07-27-2006, 11:58 PM
I have the 7130c (Cingular) and sync to Outlook via desktop and have not had any probs. I sync calendar, todo, notes, task,etc and it has worked as advertised.

option94
07-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I love the 7130c. Also use as you describe. Works very well, and it pretty simple to use.

abbydog3
07-28-2006, 10:51 AM
My voice quality on my 7130c is the best of any cell phone I have ever had and several times better than my Palm 650.

option94
07-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Quality of voice is excellent on the 7130c, it shouldn't even be compared to the treo 650, which required a 3rd party app to have half was decent sound quality. lol.

stevestr
07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your input on the 7130c. Anyone use their 7130c with their laptop via tethered modem option?

bperkins
07-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I do not feel the voice quality is as good as my 8700. The 8700 appears to be more clear and louder. And I have the default volume set to 100% on the 7130.

FarSeide
07-29-2006, 12:18 AM
I cant believe I lived this long without my crackberry... this is absolutely amazing and the RF on this phone along with voice quality... AND all the features...

absolutely amazing..

stevestr
07-30-2006, 06:58 PM
I cant believe I lived this long without my crackberry... this is absolutely amazing and the RF on this phone along with voice quality... AND all the features...

absolutely amazing..
I have had the 7130c now for two days and it is the best mobile voice device I have ever used. I travel for work and am either in my car or on an airplane. Eveything is really easy and simple to use with the scroller "push to launch" feature. EDGE is really nice and fast too on cingular network.
Appreciate all the input. I think cingular was a bit testy with me because I started my upgrade with a Razor (worthless), then and 8125 (difficult to navigate while driving), then a Treo 650 (nothing but problems), then an LG CU500 (did not work as a modem with Palm bluetooth PDA using Cingular data-connect plan). Finally my first blackberry, 7130c...and there is no turning back!

stevestr
07-30-2006, 07:30 PM
I do not feel the voice quality is as good as my 8700. The 8700 appears to be more clear and louder. And I have the default volume set to 100% on the 7130.
Brad, tks for the input. Cingular was out of the 8700 so I opted for the 7130. So far the 7130 volume is working but I have yet to use it in a very noisy environment.
PS. this is off the subject but I must say your family is beautiful and I like your blog space with typePad..pretty cool! I got three little ones, actually now 9 (Adam), 11 (Brenna), 13 (Marin) not so little anymore! Looking at the photos of yours reminds me how fast time goes by! Seems like it was just yesterday they were barely starting grade school! Kids are amazing and really funny! Can't imagine life without them and our beautiful wives who carried them for their first 9 months...we are truly blessed!

TXBB7130
07-30-2006, 09:09 PM
I just got the 7130c... and still have the 7100t from t-mobile. I thought I would try to compare the voice quality between the two BBs/carriers. Now, I realize that the quality may have more to do with the carriers (t-mo vs. Cingular) than the phones themselves, but I thought I'd give it a shot. In almost every case, the voice quality on the 7100t was better, not by a whole lot, but it was nevertheless better. The voice quality on the 7130c seemed slightly muffled. At the same time, the 7130c consistently had better reception so I did not have as many dropped calls with Cingular as I have had with t-mo. I like the 7130c and the fact that I get reception in more places, but I am concerned about the quality of the voice. I don't know if this has anything to do with the BBs themselves, or the carriers and was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience or can shed some insight into this. Thanks!

dulcamara
07-31-2006, 05:08 AM
Great phone. With a hosted BES (do a search) you'll get wireless sync to Outlook/Entourage. The RF is way better than the 7100g I had before. If you look on this board, you'll notice that the 7130c generates far fewer complaints than either the 8700 or the 7100.

I waited for a couple weeks after it was released to get mine, just to see what the brave early adopters found wrong. They found just about nothing.

I can keep this thing until RIM releases a 71xx with worldwide 3G.

bperkins
07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Steve,
Thank you for the kind words. You are right we are very lucky and I too cannot believe how quickly time passes. Best of luck to you.

By no means did I mean to down the 7130, in fact, I still choose to use it over my 8700 due to the smaller size. Occasionally I dislike the Suretype. But overall a good device. Much better than the first generation 7100.

Brad, tks for the input. Cingular was out of the 8700 so I opted for the 7130. So far the 7130 volume is working but I have yet to use it in a very noisy environment.
PS. this is off the subject but I must say your family is beautiful and I like your blog space with typePad..pretty cool! I got three little ones, actually now 9 (Adam), 11 (Brenna), 13 (Marin) not so little anymore! Looking at the photos of yours reminds me how fast time goes by! Seems like it was just yesterday they were barely starting grade school! Kids are amazing and really funny! Can't imagine life without them and our beautiful wives who carried them for their first 9 months...we are truly blessed!

option94
07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
I waited for a couple weeks after it was released to get mine, just to see what the brave early adopters found wrong. They found just about nothing.

THat may only be because they're a lot newer. People havn't had time to complain, however I dont have any complaints at all. A very solid device.

TXBB7130
07-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Great phone. With a hosted BES (do a search) you'll get wireless sync to Outlook/Entourage. The RF is way better than the 7100g I had before. If you look on this board, you'll notice that the 7130c generates far fewer complaints than either the 8700 or the 7100.

I can keep this thing until RIM releases a 71xx with worldwide 3G.
Thanks. Maybe it is simply the Cingular coverage vs. the t-mo coverage then. I agree with the complaints regarding the 7100g vs. 7130c. The 7100g seems to crash a lot more than the 7130c and has had more issues during the short period that I have had both.

dulcamara
08-01-2006, 06:56 AM
THat may only be because they're a lot newer. People havn't had time to complain, however I dont have any complaints at all. A very solid device.

Very possible, but the complaints about the 8700 (dust) showed up pretty quickly. It's been a while now, and I still see very few, if any, complaints about the 7130c.

coreyg510
08-01-2006, 07:10 AM
There were some complaints about application installation issues. Seems that the 7130c does not want to function properly when some applications are loaded, causing several reinstallations. However, it has been some time since I have seen those issues and they were isolated so maybe it was an error on small proportions.

Overall, I was a little dissapointed. With Cingular updating so many of their towers to HSPDA/UMTS, I would have figured that a UMTS capable 7130 would have been the next release, not an EDGE 7130.

Bad move if you ask the Gecko.

option94
08-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

HSDPA should go live nationally by the end of september. That's when we'll start to are a lot of new equipment that supports it.

hondacrvaz
08-09-2006, 07:55 PM

HSDPA should go live nationally by the end of september. That's when we'll start to are a lot of new equipment that supports it.

And I've been told that the Moto Q will become available around that time also....

adamlau
08-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I own and use both a T|X and an E2. Love the 7130c. Get one.

jibi
08-09-2006, 09:37 PM

Your use of 'nationally' is HIGHLY misleading. They should be in most, if not all, MAJOR markets in the United States by the end of the year. However, that does not come anywhere NEAR touching the entire nation, in terms of their current coverage. If you live in a big city, then you can most likely already benefit, to an extent, from HSDPA. If you don't live in a major city, then you likely won't see HSDPA anytime in the next year or more from Cingular.

jibi
08-09-2006, 09:37 PM
...and as for the original thread, with the 8100 coming out this next month and Cingular likely to follow before the end of the year, is there any point?

Plinkerton
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
...and as for the original thread, with the 8100 coming out this next month and Cingular likely to follow before the end of the year, is there any point?

I kind of think there is. The 8100 looks great, but it has a camera, which I find useless, and it has video playback, which I would never use.

The 7130c already has MP3 ringtones, which is the only thing I'd ever really use.

Other than those differences, they seem pretty similar overall.

It does have a microSD slot, which is pretty kickass. But it got rid of the scroll wheel, which is definitely a favorite.

Other than the multimedia content, I don't think it's much worth waiting for.

arnaldocabral
08-14-2006, 06:58 PM
The best Phone/PDA ive ever owned, hands down. This thing does EVERYTHING! Email, Internet, Datebook, Phonebook, Games, Wireless Internet w/ Laptop... would be nice to have a Camera feature, though.

Plinkerton
08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Today I send a powerpoint presentation to my email, just to see if the 7130c could open it.

It did, and it was pretty cool. It showed it as "Slide 1" and then the picture, "Slide 2" etc.

It was pretty neat. :)

vincentnyc
08-15-2006, 08:49 AM
The best Phone/PDA ive ever owned, hands down. This thing does EVERYTHING! Email, Internet, Datebook, Phonebook, Games, Wireless Internet w/ Laptop... would be nice to have a Camera feature, though.

wireless internet with laptop? do you mean you use the blackberry to connect to the laptop via bluetooth and laptop can surf the web? are you sure, last time i heard, it couldnt be done cuz i heard the blackberry doesn't uses dun as oppose to the motorola phone or palm teo? if so, that would be great.

if u are able to connect to the laptop...how much would it cost if you have the unlimited data plan? and how do you set it up...step-by step instruction would be nice.

Plinkerton
08-15-2006, 12:07 PM
wireless internet with laptop? do you mean you use the blackberry to connect to the laptop via bluetooth and laptop can surf the web? are you sure, last time i heard, it couldnt be done cuz i heard the blackberry doesn't uses dun as oppose to the motorola phone or palm teo? if so, that would be great.

if u are able to connect to the laptop...how much would it cost if you have the unlimited data plan? and how do you set it up...step-by step instruction would be nice.

Yeah, I second all that.

vincentnyc
08-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I second all that.

i got a gut feeling that he either 1) bs about the internet usage with the laptop, or 2) he doesn't know what he is talking about.

i highly doubt u can use ANY blackberry devices as a modem for ur laptop.

tmj
08-18-2006, 11:42 AM
i got a gut feeling that he either 1) bs about the internet usage with the laptop, or 2) he doesn't know what he is talking about.

As a matter of fact you can. The 7130C requires a different data plan to tether it to a laptop, but it is one of the most useful features of the phone. But don't believe us, call Cingular.

vincentnyc
08-18-2006, 02:28 PM
As a matter of fact you can. The 7130C requires a different data plan to tether it to a laptop, but it is one of the most useful features of the phone. But don't believe us, call Cingular.

additional costs for "tethering" while you have "unlimited" blackberry data plan?

bluh...i guess i wont have it then even if it is capable of being a modem for my laptop.

ChiTown
08-18-2006, 10:09 PM

Actually you can, I am tethering on my BB right now. Not great speed but good enough to surf simple web pages and check e-mail.

ItsAllVerbatim
08-18-2006, 10:37 PM
I own and use both a T|X and an E2. Love the 7130c. Get one.

Awesome! Another BB/Palm user!
I wield a deadly killer combo of a LifeDrive with a case + a bunch of 2GB SD cards, a BB 7130c, my work BB and a Canon PowerShot SD300 digicam.

I love this setup. The only thing that would really be able to top it, would be a Sprint Windows Mobile device with EVDO as a media device, replacing the LifeDrive, and possibly a BB Pearl/8100.

But, alas, no cameras. I may buy a Pearl when it comes out, unlock that puppy, and shove a Cingular GoPhone SIM in that bad boy.(y)

ItsAllVerbatim
08-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Actually you can, I am tethering on my BB right now. Not great speed but good enough to surf simple web pages and check e-mail.

As am I! From the back seat of my car as I send some BIG photos via email.
This is why I need a camera BB - but then I can't have one...argh.:oops: :razz:

ItsAllVerbatim
08-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I came from a Treo 180, to a 270 to a 600 to a 650GSM.
All on Cingular.
I had a RIM 957 back in the DAY.

The 7130c on Cingular is the best phone I've ever owned (besides my "first", a Nokia 8290, I loved that little bastard).

It is durable, call quality is tops, very loud volume, MP3 ringtones, battery life is examplary, Outlook syncs up nicely, and the BB email for me awesome. When I'm not working, I am a complete MySpace hor to keep in touch with my buddies deployed all over the world. So I have my personal BB set up even better than those Helio handsets. All I'm missing is a camera on the BB.

That's so offtopic. But I highly recommend the 7130c. I'm not the typical 20-something, I used to work for Cingular and have owned in excess of 40 phones, if not more. I have used a variety of OSes and platforms, and the BB 7130c is the best smartphone out. Don't even consider a Treo at this point. The only thing that even comes close is a 8125.

I recommend the 7130c, on Cingular. Get it, but only if you're buying in the next 2 weeks or so. Cingular's 3G stuff coming out soon is super sexy, and I have no doubt they will roll out a 3G BlackBerry.

Cheers!

letmeup
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
I bought a 7130c about a month ago. I love the device but almost every time I use the phone I am told by the person on the other end that it sounds like I am on a two way radio, (they ask me if I'm on a Nextel phone.) They also tell me they usually miss the first or second word of every sentence I speak. This happens whether I speak throughthe speakerphone or the handset.

I got really frustrated and exchanged the phone for a new one and yet the same thing is happening. Is anybody having the same experience, or have an idea on how to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any help!
Eric

tmj
08-21-2006, 08:05 PM
I bought a 7130c about a month ago. I love the device but almost every time I use the phone I am told by the person on the other end that it sounds like I am on a two way radio, (they ask me if I'm on a Nextel phone.) They also tell me they usually miss the first or second word of every sentence I speak. This happens whether I speak throughthe speakerphone or the handset.

I got really frustrated and exchanged the phone for a new one and yet the same thing is happening. Is anybody having the same experience, or have an idea on how to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any help!
Eric

Where are you at Eric? Since it's happened to you with more than one unit it might be the coverage. I know a lot of people with these and i haven't heard that one, so I don't think it's the 7130.

letmeup
08-21-2006, 08:34 PM
I am in Boca Raton, Florida and have not had any problems with reception on the other 4 phones I own only this 7130c.

letmeup
08-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Where are you at Eric? Since it's happened to you with more than one unit it might be the coverage. I know a lot of people with these and i haven't heard that one, so I don't think it's the 7130.
I am in Boca Raton, Florida and have not had any problems with reception on the other 4 phones I own only this 7130c.

vincentnyc
08-22-2006, 04:17 PM
I recommend the 7130c, on Cingular. Get it, but only if you're buying in the next 2 weeks or so. Cingular's 3G stuff coming out soon is super sexy, and I have no doubt they will roll out a 3G BlackBerry.
Cheers!

what is the difference between cingular edge or tmobile evdo vs 3g network? i though edge or evdo is already a fast network? how is 3g going to beat that?

brmcguire
08-24-2006, 07:00 PM
what is the difference between cingular edge or tmobile evdo vs 3g network? i though edge or evdo is already a fast network? how is 3g going to beat that?

EVDO is 3G. Verizon/Sprints EVDO is alot faster then the GSM (i.e Cingular) network. However, Cingular has a EVDO equal with UMTS. I am not sure if UMTS has as much coverage as EVDO at this point. Someone else can probably comment better on that. I will say I have Verizon with EVDO and its great. It's a better experience when you have a faster network.

Postalrecon
08-26-2006, 04:08 AM
EVDO is 3G. Verizon/Sprints EVDO is alot faster then the GSM (i.e Cingular) network. However, Cingular has a EVDO equal with UMTS. I am not sure if UMTS has as much coverage as EVDO at this point. Someone else can probably comment better on that. I will say I have Verizon with EVDO and its great. It's a better experience when you have a faster network.

Im im not mistaken EVDO and cingular shouldnt even be in the same sentence, UTMS is a gsm form of 3g as EVDO is a CDMA form of 3g.

bjm007
08-27-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm trying to decide between the 8700 and the 7130 myself... I like the clarity and sidetone of the 8700, but I like the keypad (for phone dialing) on the 7130...

Decisions, decisions........

vincentnyc
09-15-2006, 04:10 PM
The 7130c already has MP3 ringtones, which is the only thing I'd ever really use.

how do you add a mp3 song as a ringtone to this phone?

togtov
09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
fell out of love with the treo. came over to BB 7130C and absolutely love it. Trying to convince my wife to ditch her treo now. don't miss the treo at all. love the phone, love the email, love the web (EVDO is NOT MUCH faster then EDGE - as the treo loyalists have been heard yelling). my only gripe is that the appointments cannot be color coded even when synced from outlook (which i have had no problems with). hope this helped.

thielsa
09-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I've had my 7130c for a couple of weeks. I think that the phone works well. The reception is not as strong as my previous phone, but the sound quality if good and the volume is loud. I personally think the device is great.

Plinkerton
09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
how do you add a mp3 song as a ringtone to this phone?

Upload them to a website, and then browse to them with your BB browser and download them.

My parents have a website that I edit and whatnot, so I made myself my own page that I use exclusively to upload mp3's too.