PDA

View Full Version : Inherited 7290... how to "initalize" it?

kleetus
07-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I have been "given" a Blackberry 7290 that one of our staff does not enjoy using. (He's a "just gimme a phone" guy.) I had already configured it with his email info, so I thought I would replace it with mine to get a feel for things until someone else requests this unit.

Thing is, I can't enter my account info, nor replace/delete his! When it was new out of the box, I used the "Email settings" icon to Create New Account and entered the UserID and Password. But that icon's gone now, and that's where I would expect to go to take this action.

Can this be done? I used to consider myself reasonably tech-savvy, but this has me utterly stumped!

Thanks,
--Chris

BERDucky
07-27-2006, 10:52 PM
who's the carrier? sounds like you need to call them in order to have them delete the old account

Lex Luthor
07-28-2006, 01:14 AM
who's the carrier? sounds like you need to call them in order to have them delete the old account

BerDucky is right. You won't be able to register an email address with the BlackBerry until they pin & imei is released by your service provider. Once that's done you should easily be able to set up the BlackBerry with no problems.

greggebhardt
07-28-2006, 05:17 AM
I have been "given" a Blackberry 7290 that one of our staff does not enjoy using. (He's a "just gimme a phone" guy.) I had already configured it with his email info, so I thought I would replace it with mine to get a feel for things until someone else requests this unit.

Thing is, I can't enter my account info, nor replace/delete his! When it was new out of the box, I used the "Email settings" icon to Create New Account and entered the UserID and Password. But that icon's gone now, and that's where I would expect to go to take this action.

Can this be done? I used to consider myself reasonably tech-savvy, but this has me utterly stumped!

Thanks,
--Chris

Do you have a Blackberry Plan? Sounds like he turned his off or transfered service to his new device.

evilcaptain
07-28-2006, 08:24 AM
First thing, that you should have done is to wipe the handheld so that it would be like a fresh new device. You can do that by going into options, security options, general settings and click the wheel and there should be choice to wipe the handheld. This sets it back to the factory default. Those icons that were missing should be back.

takeshi
07-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Though wiping the handheld won't dis-associate the BIS account from the PIN and IMEI of the Blackberry. You'll still need to do that as well by calling your carrier's customer service/BB support.

kleetus
07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks, all! I went on the hunt for a "wipe it" command but never found it, including options/security options/general settings. Looks like I have to call the provider...

Lex Luthor
07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks, all! I went on the hunt for a "wipe it" command but never found it, including options/security options/general settings. Looks like I have to call the provider...

once you get to General Settings click the track wheel and you should see the option for wipe handheld.