PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion about BB not having Mini SD Slot

ecidood
07-28-2006, 09:41 AM
What is your opinion about BB not having Mini SD Slot, or Micro SD for additional storage?

Do yo uthink next versions of BB will have this feature?

junior1790
07-28-2006, 09:48 AM
This has been discussed numerous times and the same answer is always given. Doing that will be a huge security issue and thats is alot of the attractivness of blackberry devices, VERY secure device...

ecidood
07-28-2006, 09:49 AM
This has been discussed numerous times and the same answer is always given. Doing that will be a huge security issue and thats is alot of the attractivness of blackberry devices, VERY secure device...

I am not sure, but how is that a security issue, if you have a slot for an external storage so that you can store additional data on?

d_fisher
07-28-2006, 10:00 AM
It is a HUGE security issue. You can store anything on the card from ay PC that can access it. That doesn't fly in most large or security minded companies. Doesn't hurt that the US Government is the single largest BlackBerry customer.

With that it mind, RIM has come up with a solution and the next BlackBerry device is supposed to support additional storage.

Pizzle
07-28-2006, 10:02 AM
First, as Junior said above. Search. This has been covered numerous times, particularly in the Rumors section.

Second, it's a potential security issue because, as a company with sensitive information, I'm not a fan of unlogged, accessible forms of information transportation to my competitors.

As an employee, if the competition wanted sensitive info from my company, I could transfer it to SD and get it to them, with little proof.

With a secure device, there's little way to transfer said info without it being logged.

ecidood
07-28-2006, 10:02 AM
It is a HUGE security issue. You can store anything on the card from ay PC that can access it. That doesn't fly in most large or security minded companies. Doesn't hurt that the US Government is the single largest BlackBerry customer.

I never looked at it that way. Then no other Smart Phones should have it Mini SD. I am sure that there are people that work for security companies or govt comanies that have phones or smart phones with Storage cards.

Pizzle
07-28-2006, 10:03 AM

With that it mind, RIM has come up with a solution and the next BlackBerry device is supposed to support additional storage.

Too bad this forum can't let you know that someone else is typing the answer to the question at the same time you are... ;-)

Pizzle
07-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I never looked at it that way. Then no other Smart Phones should have it Mini SD. I am sure that there are people that work for security companies or govt comanies that have phones or smart phones with Storage cards.

Many large companies have issued phones/devices and restrictions on things like camera phones, etc. You'd be surprised.

d_fisher
07-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Too bad this forum can't let you know that someone else is typing the answer to the question at the same time you are... ;-)I feel your pain. I have been on the other end countless times. But since I have the ability, I just delete my duplicate answer and curse under my breathe.

BB4Life
07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
There will be an sd slot for future bb's..just wait a few months

Pizzle
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I feel your pain. I have been on the other end countless times. But since I have the ability, I just delete my duplicate answer and curse under my breathe.

LOL...cheater. :razz:

saitoh
07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
There will be an sd slot for future bb's..just wait a few months

I highly doubt that. Not if RIM is smart, and they are.

With regards to the government/security employee question, yes, people do own devices with removeable storage. However, they CAN'T BRING THEM INTO THEIR OFFICES. I am in the security field, and this is almost a no-brainer for many enterprise-level clients (smaller clients, who knows). I also have a friend who works for the government, and he has to leave even his regular old, no-camera-no-SD-slot-phone in his car.

So again, RIM will not be releasing their units with features such as cameras, removeable storage, or the like, because security is a huge part of their reputation.

NJBlackBerry
07-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Sure they will release them. But there will be IT Policies to allow BES Admins who truly care about security to stop their use.

It will not be a good day for businesses and government facilities, but it is something RIM has to do because the carriers want to sell more BBs (and expensive BB Data Plans) to consumers.

ecidood
07-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I just dont know now that I see the T-Mobile MDA with the additional Storage and the Camera (for the camera I dont care that much) and look at the BB 8700g and that it does not have additional storage it makes it hard to decide which device to get.

I think that the MDA since it is running "windoze" it probably has more software available out there and it is probably more "hackable".

Sometimes it sucks when you have plenty different options to choose from :).

NJBlackBerry
07-28-2006, 02:01 PM
How do you get your corporate e-mail seemlessly and securely sent to the MDA? Unless you are running Exchange 2003 with the feature pack, it's not happening...

Oh yes, it's hackable. Been playing with one all morning. Almost have it broken, too.

aiharkness
07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
... Sometimes it sucks when you have plenty different options to choose from :).

ecidood, one just needs to step back and objectively as possible consider what one needs the device to do for them.

In my opinion, the BB is the best at what it does and it doesn't need an expansion memory card slot, camera, or other accessory gadgets to do it any better. Personally, I hope RIM sticks with simple elegance, but I understand they have a business to run, and the marketing stuff is way beyond me.

ecidood
07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
ecidood, one just needs to step back and objectively as possible consider what one needs the device to do for them.

In my opinion, the BB is the best at what it does and it doesn't need an expansion memory card slot, camera, or other accessory gadgets to do it any better. Personally, I hope RIM sticks with simple elegance, but I understand they have a business to run, and the marketing stuff is way beyond me.

True, but I think It would be nice to have that extra Storage with Mini or Micro SD.

RoadRider
07-28-2006, 05:38 PM
It's the one thing I miss from my Treo.

NiteOwl
07-28-2006, 05:58 PM
It's something I'd like.

ecidood
07-28-2006, 06:02 PM
I wonder if they will make it available on future BBs.

NiteOwl
07-28-2006, 07:24 PM
From the Rumor Forum it sounds like it will be and maybe by the end of this year.

ecidood
07-28-2006, 09:13 PM
From the Rumor Forum it sounds like it will be and maybe by the end of this year.

That would be cool if they make it, I need to wait then...

Dubdub
07-29-2006, 07:33 AM
What is your opinion about BB not having Mini SD Slot, or Micro SD for additional storage?

Do yo uthink next versions of BB will have this feature?

Doesn't bother me at all. Not something I really need to have.

aiharkness
07-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. Not something I really need to have.

Well, if RIM does it, I hope those models are obviously distinguishable, and at a glance. Even still, I imagine it is going to cause problems for some of us. Some places, rather than try and sort out the "good" BB's from the "bad" BB's, are just going to say leave the BB behind. That's my guess. --- Heck, if RIM does this, please, give it another name and make it some bright pretty color, maybe put some glitter on it.

vap0r
07-29-2006, 08:26 AM
yah i dont see what the issue is, when they drop a sd and camera blackberry, the ppl that dont like them can stick with the old ones for whatever security reason and the people that dont need the security can enjoy the new teen like functions. seems cut and dry to me

ecidood
07-29-2006, 01:18 PM
yah i dont see what the issue is, when they drop a sd and camera blackberry, the ppl that dont like them can stick with the old ones for whatever security reason and the people that dont need the security can enjoy the new teen like functions. seems cut and dry to me

hehe, good one, I agree :)

Brad00111
07-30-2006, 02:19 AM
Help me out here folks, whats the big deal with more memory? Do ya'll have so many games on your BB that your running out of room, maybe you should remember this is a business device? I don't see the need for more memory, its stores all my emails, calendar items and contacts just fine with some room for Berry411 and some other neat stuff, and I am still in no danger of maxing out.

Any insight I welcome, am I missing something here?

RoadRider
07-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Help me out here folks, whats the big deal with more memory?

For document storage. Very important for me.