PDA

View Full Version : Blocking SMS Messages

MMB916
07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi All,

I keep getting these annoying joke SMS messages. I have tried responding "STOP TONE", which is what they tell you to do if you want to stop receiving the messages - but no luck!!

Any ideas if I can block a particular SMS number and/or what to do? The tone is coming from "69999" - laughaholics. I believe this started from a site I went to for ringtones.

Thanks so very much in advance.

Airmark1
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

You might be getting charged for the messages as well. Not talking about the normal 10 cents or whatever, but additionally you might be getting charged a monthly fee that can show up on your bill. Could be a big addition.

Most of these dumb text for: jokes, horescopes etc stuff will charge you a continuing rate.

As far as them still sending you stuff. Not sure. Call your provider and see if they can block that particular one. They probably can't. But it worth the try I guess.

Airmark1
07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Also. Go to google and type in laughahaulics and that 69999 number into a search. Maybe you can find their real web page and cancell it via that site.

MMB916
07-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Thank you so much for the ideas. I found a forum called Laughaholics but also found a ringtone site called Flycell. I think they might be coming from there. So I sent them a message regarding unsubscribe - wow, I hope it works.

And what a pain if I'm being charged for these. Thank you for the heads up. I will also call Cingular.

Airmark1
07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah...found this when I got home to a real computer...in google.

"You can subscribe to the service by sending a text message containing the words 'POPE ON' to 69999.To unsubscribe, send 'STOP POPE' to 69999"

not sure if it would work...never know.

good luck.

Hope that they are at least funny jokes....:smile:

MMB916
07-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Thank you so very much, Airmark1. I gave it a try!

I wish I could tell you the jokes were funny :smile: I haven't even been reading them because I'm so irritated by the unsolicited messages--:x

I really appreciate your efforts. I will let you know if it worked.

One other question, I'm new to this....I noticed you posted wirelessly and w/Mozilla. Is there a Firefox type browser that is good for the BB that you use? I am on BIS and I'm trying to figure out the differences between BB Browser & Cingular Browser. Which I should use? A good homepage?

I hope it's ok that I threw this in to this thread - hhmmmmm....

Airmark1
07-28-2006, 11:17 PM
I noticed you posted wirelessly and w/Mozilla.

Is there a Firefox type browser that is good for the BB that you use?

I am on BIS and I'm trying to figure out the differences between BB Browser & Cingular Browser.

Which I should use? A good homepage?

I hope it's ok that I threw this in to this thread - hhmmmmm....

I use the CIngular Browser for all my browsing. I still have no idea what the difference is between the Cingular one and the BB Browser.

I posted the answer wirelessly via my Cingular browser and BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community (http://wap.blackberryforums.com) it is pretty straight forward.

So, I am not sure about the use of the different browsers. I am happy with the Cingular one.

Fav homepage? I just use the CIngular default one. It is not exciting at all. I am not married to it....I actually have given little thought to a good homepage...I think that I will start trying to find a good one though.

MMB916
07-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks again Airmark1. I see what u mean about the WAP postings.

Also, u might want to take a look at Goolge. They have a personalized home page that can be used on ur mobile/BB. You can choose the content and detailed info. It's fairly flexible.

Best regards, Mara

Airmark1
07-28-2006, 11:46 PM

Good idea. I use google as all my other computer homepages. Will try it on the BB

MMB916
07-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi Airmark1,

FYI - I received another joke txt message today (no, not funny - I read it ths time:smile:) - I sent another STOP message and went to Ringtones, Wallpapers, Java Games, Real Tones, and Music for your Mobile Phone. We have the mosquito ringtone! (http://www.flycell.com) and sent their customer service another message regarding stoping these unwanted messages, Looks like it's time to call Cingular.

I hope the Google Homepage worked for you.

Thanks again.

orionpower
07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Sending a sms with "STOP" or "STOP ALL" to the # you get the joke from???

MMB916
07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Well......I have tried STOP, STOP TONE, STOP POPE - all things suggested in emails and on the Flycell website - no luck!! They keep showing up anyway - even though I get a message back confirming I have opted out. I will try STOP ALL and see if that works.

Thank you and I will keep you posted.

d_fisher
08-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Well......I have tried STOP, STOP TONE, STOP POPE - all things suggested in emails and on the Flycell website - no luck!! They keep showing up anyway - even though I get a message back confirming I have opted out. I will try STOP ALL and see if that works.

Thank you and I will keep you posted.Sometimes you have to wait x number of days for the changes to be updated in their system.

MMB916
08-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks so very much. Let's hope that is the case.:smile:

Sometimes you have to wait x number of days for the changes to be updated in their system.

orionpower
08-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Can you give me the SMS code (the from add.) maybe we can find info on the web with that code on how to clear it

MMB916
08-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Well the good news is so far today I haven't received anything however, I believe it's early.

The from address is "69999" - that's the number that I see when I get the SMS message. And when I hit reply - that's the number it goes to - it has a joke in it and then tells you to "reply" with "STOP TONE", which is what I have tons - probably up to 10 times by now.

When I searched the number I found Ringtones, Wallpapers, Java Games, Real Tones, and Music for your Mobile Phone. We have the mosquito ringtone! (http://www.flycell.com) associated with all types of daily things like horoscopes, jokes, etc... I sent them 3 emails to customer service. I did get a message back telling me how to unsubscribe but it was the same exact directions that are in the SMS messages.

I hope that makes sense.

:smile:Thanks so very much for helping with - you may find something I'm not seeing.

Can you give me the SMS code (the from add.) maybe we can find info on the web with that code on how to clear it

linuxpro
08-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Contact your network provider as they have the power to stop them under the abuse of the telecommunication act and your network will report them to the proper authorities as they need a licence to distribute this content

Hope this helps !!!

regards

orionpower
08-01-2006, 04:34 PM
this is what I found on Shortcode.info - The Global Shortcode Directory (http://www.shortcode.info/search.php?query=mobile&country=1)

The Pope's Thought of the Day
The Pope's Thought of the Day is a daily premium SMS, or text message, containing thoughts, prayers and guidance taken directly from the Pontiff's teachings and delivered to you on your mobile phone. You can subscribe to the service by sending a text message containing the words 'POPE ON' to 69999.To unsubscribe, send 'STOP POPE' to 69999.The Pope's Thought of the Day is offered as a premium SMS at $6.99/month.

Or found this Flycell, Inc. http://www.flycell.com/sms-alerts.php Alert, jokes
on US Common Short Codes Who Is Directory - Home (http://www.usshortcodeswhois.com/)
Hope this help

Well the good news is so far today I haven't received anything however, I believe it's early.

The from address is "69999" - that's the number that I see when I get the SMS message. And when I hit reply - that's the number it goes to - it has a joke in it and then tells you to "reply" with "STOP TONE", which is what I have tons - probably up to 10 times by now.

When I searched the number I found Ringtones, Wallpapers, Java Games, Real Tones, and Music for your Mobile Phone. We have the mosquito ringtone! (http://www.flycell.com) associated with all types of daily things like horoscopes, jokes, etc... I sent them 3 emails to customer service. I did get a message back telling me how to unsubscribe but it was the same exact directions that are in the SMS messages.

I hope that makes sense.

:smile:Thanks so very much for helping with - you may find something I'm not seeing.

MMB916
08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Thank you so very much. I also tried STOP POPE even though I am getting jokes and not a daily Pope message. Also, the web address you have is the one I went to and sent 3 messages to their customer service explaining that I had "opted out" many times and are still getting messages.

So far today, nothing, however, I will be on the phone to Cingular when I receive the next one (I want to say "if" I do but I don't have a good feeling about them stoping :smile:).

I will keep you posted and update the thread with what I hope is some solution. This are all freat suggestions. Thanks for putting your heads together on the issue:smile:

this is what I found on Shortcode.info - The Global Shortcode Directory (http://www.shortcode.info/search.php?query=mobile&country=1)

The Pope's Thought of the Day
The Pope's Thought of the Day is a daily premium SMS, or text message, containing thoughts, prayers and guidance taken directly from the Pontiff's teachings and delivered to you on your mobile phone. You can subscribe to the service by sending a text message containing the words 'POPE ON' to 69999.To unsubscribe, send 'STOP POPE' to 69999.The Pope's Thought of the Day is offered as a premium SMS at $6.99/month.

Or found this Flycell, Inc. http://www.flycell.com/sms-alerts.php Alert, jokes
on US Common Short Codes Who Is Directory - Home (http://www.usshortcodeswhois.com/)
Hope this help

MMB916
08-01-2006, 04:48 PM
When the next one arrives, I'm on the phone to Cingular with your suggestion. If not, I must call them anyway (after I take a look at my bill - if I have any charges--for a refund!!)

Thank you.

Contact your network provider as they have the power to stop them under the abuse of the telecommunication act and your network will report them to the proper authorities as they need a licence to distribute this content

Hope this helps !!!

regards

MMB916
08-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi All,
I spoke with Cingular today after I received another annoying SMS message. I was being charged for TWO SMS subscriptions that I didn't subscribe to. The charges were $9.99 plus tax. They gave me a credit for both subscriptions and cancelled them. However, in order to block their SMS address, she would have to block ALL of my SMS messages - which of course wouldn't be good. ...so...she thought that this might stop them. If not, she gave me an address to write to. And it is possible that cancelling the subscriptions through Cingular, might stop the messages - what a pain this is!! I will keep you posted. Thanks.

socal7100t
08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Hello all,

I've been experiencing the same issue. I keep getting unsolicited SMS messages. I called TMO customer service and they are able to stop messages from specific #s and also indicated that I could do it myself via the TMO website.

Everytime I have an issue, I call customer service and they take of the blocking and adjustments to my bill.

Yes it is a pain to keep calling, but it never a problem when I call TMO.

MMB916
08-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Sounds great w/TMO. I have to say that Cingular was also very responsive with regards to deleting any charges on my account in relationship to these SMS messages. But they can't block just one SMS address - I wish they could. It's block all SMS messages or none. But it doesn't make sense that TMO has that ability and Cingular doesn't. I think I will check out Cingular's website and try to call them again. Thanks for the tip.

Sure enough, like clockwork - I received one today - so it looks like just cancelling the service through Cingular didn't work.

MMB916
08-19-2006, 01:07 PM
No luck for me. Spoke to Cingular twice and text messaged back all of the possible "STOP" messages - still no luck - ARGH!!

csherm4415
08-26-2006, 09:40 AM
In order to stop those annoying jokes:-o ,I had to write stop jokes. I , then received a message saying. Sorry to see you go:wink: . Thanks for using FLYCELL and visit us a gain at FLYCELL.COM 18005800017. :smile: I hope this was helpful to anyone who was going through the same bull sh?? (n) I was going through.

csherm4415

MMB916
08-26-2006, 03:45 PM
I sent them a reply with STOP JOKES and "STOP (everything else that was listed on their website)" and NO LUCK - they keep telling me "sorry to see you go" ---(n)(n) but no luck!! Thank you for this --- I will call the 800 number and see if I have any luck there - ARGH!~!!!!! Thank so very much. Will update the thread after I call. :smile:

In order to stop those annoying jokes:-o ,I had to write stop jokes. I , then received a message saying. Sorry to see you go:wink: . Thanks for using FLYCELL and visit us a gain at FLYCELL.COM 18005800017. :smile: I hope this was helpful to anyone who was going through the same bull sh?? (n) I was going through.

csherm4415