PDA

View Full Version : General Failure sending email

MMB916
07-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi All,

I'm not sure what changed - since yesterday, whenever I try to send out email on my BB, the email is returned and the error is "general failure". Does anyone have any clue how or where to troubleshoot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

juwaack68
07-30-2006, 09:24 PM
First thing I would do is try to send a PIN message to someone else.

Can you receive email?

MMB916
07-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Receiving isn't a problem at all. And I can use BB Messenger and I believe those contact are through their PIN numbers, correct?

Thank you so very much.

juwaack68
07-30-2006, 09:30 PM
BBMessenger PIN, yes I believe that's correct.

So the issue is not a data issue. I'm assuming you can't send email to anyone, right? It's not just to 1 person that you're having this issue?

NJBlackBerry
07-30-2006, 09:31 PM
BIS or BES?
If BES, can you try and regenerate your Encryption keys?

MMB916
07-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Exactly. I have tried to send email to a few different contacts, no luck!!

Thank you.

MMB916
07-30-2006, 09:35 PM
The only change I can think of that I made on the BB was with in PocketDay. I have the WAP version and I wasn't able to get weather, stock or news. So they told me to take my username and password out of the communications setting under options for APN. Now it works perfectly - PocketDay that is :smile:
I don't think that is related though - just FYI.

BIS or BES?
If BES, can you try and regenerate your Encryption keys?

juwaack68
07-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Try this - it's from RIM's knowledge base, specific to 'General Failure':

Problem
An X appears beside a message sent from the BlackBerry device. The Message Status displays the following:

General send failure: please try again.
Summary of Causes
This problem is the result of one of the following causes:

Radio failed to connect to the network.
The device has been provisioned incorrectly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause 1
The radio failed to connect to the wireless network.

Resolution 1
Turn the wireless on and off to connect to the network.

Resolution 2
Reset the handheld by removing and reinserting the battery. For more information about resetting the device, see KB-02141.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause 2
The handheld has not been provisioned correctly with the wireless network.

Resolution
Register the device on the wireless network.

From the device Options, click Host Routing Table. Or, depending the version of device software, click Advanced Options > Host Routing Table.
Click the trackwheel and select Register Now.
Note: If the above resolutions do not solve the problem, try resetting the Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card. Remove the battery, then remove and reinsert the SIM card. Reinsert the battery.

MMB916
07-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Thank you so very much. I will try and let you know.

MMB916
07-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I went through all of the steps. Even reset it twice and did take the SIM card out. Received a successful network registration email back after I went through that step however, I haven't received the test messages I sent to myself nor have I received them back on my BB yet. I have a feeling though, they will be returned to my BB with the red "X"....hhhhhmmmm??

juwaack68
07-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Are you on BIS? Can you log into your BIS account (via PC) and resend your service books?

MMB916
07-30-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm new to this - I can log in to my accounts on my PC - how do I resend my Service Books? Do I do that from both of my accounts - .blackberry.net and earthlink.net?

Thank you.

Are you on BIS? Can you log into your BIS account (via PC) and resend your service books?

MMB916
07-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Thank you so very much!! I went on to my PC and took a look at the accounts through blackberry.net. For some reason my main email account was invalid - not sure how that happened - so I clikced the update button and all is fine now--(y)