PDA

View Full Version : SMS on BlackBerry 7510/7520

ldabadie
07-30-2006, 11:12 PM
I am a veteran BB user. I recall the good old days of the spinach color 850. I now have a BB 7510 (getting 7520 soon) on the Mike network (Telus/Nextel).

Here's my question:

I love BB more than anything, but this one feature on this device frustrates me so much. When you recieve SMS on this device it DOES NOT say who it is from.

Since sending outgoing sms is such a pain with this device I have discovered the trick of using email phone#@<hidden> so I can have conversations like normal BB users. This solution is great for kick starting an sms conversation but doesn't help when someone randomly sms' me.

Is there an app that fixes this I can download? Is there a solution or do I just have to switch to a new network that isn't like this? I think I am literally going to switch if I can't find a solution. PLEASE ASSIST!

Thanks BB guru's!

Alimah
07-31-2006, 07:14 AM
This is a major thumbs down for Nextel with me. We do not have TRUE SMS capability and from what I understand, some of the other carriers do. When the text messages come in, you have no idea who they are from and you are stuck with guessing and initiating a seperate e-mail to reply. It sucks! If anyone has a solution to this, I would LOVE to hear it as well.

Fkewl
08-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Any BB on the TELUS MIKE (iDEN) network will not have bidirectionnal sms (no sender, no reply)

If SMS is a big thing, ask to be switched to the PCS network. You might have contract fee's and a new BB to buy and you lose DC.

Fkewl
08-01-2006, 01:34 PM
I got another way for TELUS users on the iDEN (mike) network with BB's to SEND TEXT easily

-subscribe to an Spark package to have some texts messages instead of paying 15cents per text
-use the WAP internet icon on your blackberry
-you'll be in "Surf Business" section (well on mine, it is)
-use Communicate
-use Text

This still wont show the sender when receiving texts

ldabadie
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
After months of search the conclusion can be drawn that you cannot use bi-directional sms on Mike. After suffering from this for over two years here is the best solution I have come up with fellow Mike users:

Outgoing sms
- can use your browser and go through the combersome 5 step process. But it works.
- alternatively you can use email and just email 1234567890@<hidden> and when the person 1234567890 replys it will reply to your email. If you are not on a BES you will have a short 2-10min typical email lag (where sms is instant), but you will be able to chat with the other person as easy as other BB sms user. i have gone as far as saving the email address 1234567890@<hidden> for my most common sms chat partners. It works.

Incoming
- you will receive them alright, but you will never know who it is. sms messages such as the following may be lost forever:
- happy birthday
- merry xmas
- happy new year
- what are u doing?
- busy tonight?
- haven't heard from u in a while. What's new?
OR THE MOST FRUSTRATING OF ALL
getting the following at 130am on a saturday night
- hey u:) ru busy? We should hook up.....;)

I will be switching to PCS when the numbers are free in canada as they were in the US back in april 05.

Cheers,

Milkman
08-15-2006, 08:13 AM
OR THE MOST FRUSTRATING OF ALL
getting the following at 130am on a saturday night
- hey u:) ru busy? We should hook up.....;)

LOL hahahahahaha

I would have dumped Nextel in a second if that happened to me. :)