PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing e-mail

caracarn
07-31-2006, 04:40 PM
I have a power BB user who has used BB devices for years, so I'm pretty sure he did not do anything crazy, but he came in this morning and said he lost all of his e-mail from his unit on Saturday. As we talked he also lost call log and 8 of the 10 MemoPad items he had. All his messages exist on his Exchange mailbox on his PC.

After digging around anywhere I could, checking BES logs, etc. the only thing I could come up with is a possible accidental usage of Delete Prior. Everyone agree that's a likely culprit?

I have two questions, assuming that was it:

Would the delete prior effect Phone Log and Memo as well? I did find deletions of about 103 Phone Log entries on the BES server log at about 2:30 PM on Saturday when he was playing golf.

Is there anyway to get the old e-mail messages back on his BB? I know if we do a hard reset we can resync the device, but he's done a lot of customizing with auto text etc. that I believe he would also lose, so he'd rather not do that.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

JerryD
08-01-2006, 05:29 AM
I have a power BB user who has used BB devices for years, so I'm pretty sure he did not do anything crazy, but he came in this morning and said he lost all of his e-mail from his unit on Saturday. As we talked he also lost call log and 8 of the 10 MemoPad items he had. All his messages exist on his Exchange mailbox on his PC.

After digging around anywhere I could, checking BES logs, etc. the only thing I could come up with is a possible accidental usage of Delete Prior. Everyone agree that's a likely culprit?

I have two questions, assuming that was it:

Would the delete prior effect Phone Log and Memo as well? I did find deletions of about 103 Phone Log entries on the BES server log at about 2:30 PM on Saturday when he was playing golf.

Is there anyway to get the old e-mail messages back on his BB? I know if we do a hard reset we can resync the device, but he's done a lot of customizing with auto text etc. that I believe he would also lose, so he'd rather not do that.

Thanks for the help.

Bob
The only way to get the old emails back on the BB is to wipe the device, remove his account from the BES, put him back onto the BES (as if he were a new user), then reactivate / resync.

caracarn
08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought, but the user has entered many AutoText function etc. If I wipe the device he loses all that, correct? Sorry to be so unsure, but I've not used a RIM device since the original units which are obviously a little different than these.

Reierm
08-02-2006, 05:55 PM
The majority of the times when I have seen this, it's because the user ran out of memory. So as a result it starts dumping messages and call logs. You may want to check and make sure that he's not set to keep messages "forever."