PDA

View Full Version : 2 phones, 1 number

InPocket
08-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I am starting a business and would like to know if its poosible to have 2 phones with one number.

Can i have one blackberry, my partner with another, both ring when a customer calls?

penguin3107
08-01-2006, 11:50 AM
I am starting a business and would like to know if its poosible to have 2 phones with one number.

Can i have one blackberry, my partner with another, both ring when a customer calls?

No.

greggebhardt
08-01-2006, 11:57 AM

Let me add to that, NO!

A phone number is assigned to one sim. You could have the calls forwarded.

I wish this were true as I could look into my drawer every day and decide which phone I want to use and just turn it on! It just is not that easy.

InPocket
08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
damn. any possible solution?

it doesnt make sense to have 2 numbers for a business and im not renting a space for a little while..i dont think..

*thinking out loud*

ok, so i go to t-mobile and get a new bberry (NYC, NJ area) and designate that to be the business line. Ok so now I have a ppc and a business bberry..

..unless I ditch the personal ppc for a normal phone... and use the bberry for business...

so then I have a t-mo number for central and south NJ business
then my partner can get a second line for north NJ and NY business...

*ok done*

eppey
08-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I thought at one point in time a carrier was offering a service that would have your phone ring at many locations including the office, home and a cell phone? This was years ago and I am in Canada so it was never available to me so I could be very very wrong. Then again it was so long ago that it could have been call forwarding in its infancy and some fancy advertising.

takeshi
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
You would have to use a third party service. I think my previous VOIP provider might have offered a multiple ring forwarding service like this.

Golga
08-01-2006, 03:29 PM
I thought at one point in time a carrier was offering a service that would have your phone ring at many locations including the office, home and a cell phone? This was years ago and I am in Canada so it was never available to me so I could be very very wrong. Then again it was so long ago that it could have been call forwarding in its infancy and some fancy advertising.

I think you are referring to the chaining version of multiple ring locations. In essence they ring at one location for say 3 rings, then the next, then the next, then back to Voicemail. I use a company called Unite for this type of service (Unite.ca)

sjsilverman
08-02-2006, 06:44 AM
There are some third party solutions that might work. For a professional approach, try ringcentral.com, which will set up a "virtual pbx" for you. 1 number (or two if you opt for the 800 line as well) that you can designate where it will ring to. Automated answer system that says, "Press 1 for..." and then it rings through to where you designate.

Another approach is to use skype. Yes, this is down and dirty, but it works. Get a skype in number for $38/yr. Add Skypeout credit. Give out the SkypeIn number as your main number. Forward calls to both cell phones. Voila. One number rings to multiple locations. I use it when I travel overseas, as I forward my cell calls to skype in number, which in turn forwards to my prepaid sim in whatever country I'm in. This amounts to incoming cell calls for about $0.03/minute.

I am sure there are other services. I think you can do the multiple forward with Vonage too. Good luck.

InPocket
08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
I found my solution but im in another bind now.

I have decided to get another cell phone, strictly for business. Perfect. Ok, well I have verizon and...

I have been waiting so damn long to get rid of my ppc for a Verizon 8703e, but now that im getting another number im thinking of going to T-Mobile (NY, NJ area).

my thoughts -> get the new bb for T-Mobile (Business)
- unlimited bb plan with the 1000 minutes
-> get a razr or some other stupid phone for Verizon (Personal)
- cancel the data service

how does that sound? would you reccomend something different?