PDA

View Full Version : UTMS vs. EDGE

CZBB
08-01-2006, 07:58 PM
So, after reading up on UMTS, I get the feeling that is is the same rate as EDGE. Did I mis read something?

b3n_asian_freak
08-02-2006, 12:25 AM
I don't think so. Basically, it's will be way faster, but in reality, it depends on the coverage and sometimes the network slows down as well.

vmv702
08-02-2006, 12:55 AM
UMTS is waaaaaaay faster than edge my friend

EAndresen
08-02-2006, 07:29 AM
When cingular switches to UTMS/3g what ever they are going to switch to. Do you think all us cingular users will have to buy new BB's or think there will be a software update?

E

NJBlackBerry
08-02-2006, 07:32 AM
New BlackBerrys. Current radios are not UMTS capable. Just like the 7100g radios are GPRS only and can't use EDGE.

EAndresen
08-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Thats what I thought and told my director... Thanks. Even though I wish I did not have to get a new phone... but atleast I got my 8700 free from RIM/Cingular. :smile:

E

VidGameKing
08-02-2006, 09:31 AM
When cingular switches to UTMS/3g what ever they are going to switch to. Do you think all us cingular users will have to buy new BB's or think there will be a software update?

E

I have a Sierra Wireless Aircard 860 on Cingular it's a PC-Card wireless modem for my laptop that uses HSDPA/UMTS technology which is also called "3G" technology. (3G Technology is any Technology that is in the third generation. UMTS, and EV-DO are both 3G.) Anyways I get about 1Meg download speeds and it is supposed to peak at 1.8Megs. Although I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, one of the VERY few networks where this technology is availible.

Yes, BB useres will have to buy new hardware.

gfisher99
08-02-2006, 06:37 PM
I also have the Cingular 3G AirCard and its beautiful. I use it here in Austin where I live (3G Upgraded already) and used it in Chicago (Also 3G upgraded) last week. The speed is amazing for an Aircard. For what I use it for (RDP over VPN) it *almost* feels like Im on my cable modem at home. I was creating AD accounts while driving down I-90 in downtown Chicago!

Internet browsing on an 8700 w/ UMTS should be pretty sweet. Maybe the processor will again be the bottleneck like it is on the 7200 series. :)

Brad00111
08-03-2006, 09:40 PM
So, after reading up on UMTS, I get the feeling that is is the same rate as EDGE. Did I mis read something?

Correct me if I am wrong but the best thing about UTMS isn't the speed but the fact that you can email and chat on the phone at the same time correct?

graphreak
08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but the best thing about UTMS isn't the speed but the fact that you can email and chat on the phone at the same time correct?

I would hate to be driving :shock: on the same road when someone is doing that!

:smile:

pete.milligan
08-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Yes, browse and chat too.

Pete

pspiegel
09-14-2006, 02:55 AM
how does utms compare to EVDO?

takeshi
09-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Guess that depends on which one you need the most...