PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 2.1 - Official Information

jibi
08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Details

This article describes the new features available after upgrading to BlackBerry Internet Service 2.1. Some features are not enabled until the BlackBerry device is registered on the wireless network.

Advanced Google Gmail integration
• Push-based, real-time delivery of Google™ Gmail™ messages
• Simple setup - no need for BlackBerry Internet Service users to set up mail forwarding or configure a POP3 account
• Customized welcome message

Additional interface language support
Support for Simplified Chinese, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, and Turkish.

Improved user-integrated migration from BlackBerry Internet Service 1.8
• Improved migration prompt text
• Confirmation of successful user-initiated migration

Email Anti-SPAM system
• Automatic IP address reputation-based filtering
• Very conservative setting intended to avoid false-positive messages
• No administrative control required

Internet Browser icon
• The new Internet Browser icon provides BlackBerry device users with one-click access to the Internet.
• The Internet Browser provides full content access and data connectivity for Java™ applications, including virtual preload and push services.
• The Internet Browser supports opening and viewing popular file formats (such as Microsoft® Word, Excel® and PowerPoint®; Corel® WordPerfect®; and Adobe® PDF files) found on web pages.
• The Internet Browser is available on the new generation of BlackBerry devices that include:
BlackBerry 7130 Series
BlackBerry 8700 Series of wireless handhelds
BlackBerry 8707 Series of wireless handhelds

• An IT policy is available to BlackBerry Enterprise Server users who wish to block the Internet Browser from the BlackBerry device.

Yahoo! Search icon
• The new Yahoo!® Search icon allows one-click access to a Yahoo! Search page that is specific to a country.
• This feature is available on color BlackBerry devices running BlackBerry Device Software version 4.0 and later
• If an IT policy is restricting the use of the Internet Browser on the BlackBerry device, the Yahoo! Search icon will not appear.

Google Talk icon
• Clicking the new Google Talk™ icon opens the browser to the Google Talk download web page at http://www.blackberry.com/GoogleTalk.
• Once Google Talk is installed on the BlackBerry device, the download icon will be hidden automatically.
• If an IT policy is restricting the use of the Internet Browser on the BlackBerry device, the Google Talk icon will not appear.

Yahoo! Messenger icon
• Clicking the new Yahoo! Messenger opens the browser to the Yahoo! Messenger download web page at http://www.blackberry.com/YahooDownload.
• Once Yahoo! Messenger is installed on the BlackBerry device, the download icon will be hidden automatically.
• If an IT policy is restricting the use of the Internet Browser on the BlackBerry device, the Yahoo! Messenger icon will not appear.

BlackBerry HELP! icon
• Clicking the new BlackBerry HELP! icon opens the browser to the BlackBerry HELP! web site.
• The web site provides quick, up-to-date tips and tricks for the BlackBerry device.
• Supplements the Help application on the BlackBerry device.
• The web site is viewable in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish.
• If an IT policy is restricting the use of the Internet Browser on the BlackBerry device, the BlackBerry HELP! icon will not appear.

whsbuss
08-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Any info when the carriers will implement BIS 2.1? Verizon already permits Gmail integration w/real-time email but no new icons after re-registering the BB.

byron
08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
from what i was told... all BIS 2.0 were already upgraded to BIS 2.1 (this past saturday).. yet i don't see any of these changes..... am i missing something?

penk
08-02-2006, 03:37 PM
looks good to go for gmail.

ran a test on a virgin gmail account. mail sent from y! to g arrived on the handset quite quickly. deleted the message "On Mailbox & Handheld" and following a Reconcile Now the message was in fact moved to the Gmail Trash folder.

i don't know if the reconcilitaion would have happened on its own, eventually, but i can be an antsy fella, so i'll let one of you folk figure out if it's truly automated.

also, this was done via t-mo's BIS, and no sign of any other icons.

byron
08-02-2006, 03:42 PM
interesting.... i just set up my gmail using the "setup account" button and after doing so it is acting like the mycingular.blackberry.net account. delivery is almost immediate. definitely not the 15 polling option that it was a while back. as penk said, it does move deleted items ot the trash as well (assuming you tell it to delete on handheld & mailbox.

the only thing i wish that it could send during a reconcile is read/unread status. but i guess thats asking a bit too much. :-D

byron
08-02-2006, 07:05 PM
nice... you no longer have to BCC yourself to get a copy of sent messages on the gmail.com web interface. and it marks the sent copy on gmail.com as read to boot! very nice.

bobenhaus
08-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Gmail reconcilation is working for me now! Yahoo! ;)

option94
08-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yeah same here. Gmail is instant, but no new icons.

option94
08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sorry, that's on Cingular.

athenslb57
08-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Can anyone confirm this working for Nextel yet?

**Edit** I setup a new Gmail account and I have verified it is working with Nextel. Got my message within 30 seconds and reconcilitation is working as well. Beautiful stuff!! Now bring on syncing calendar and contacts.

War Eagle!!

drunknmunkie
08-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I setu my gmail account and it works great excpet for a little bug..whenever i send and email i get a copy of it sent to me. is there a setting i need to change to get this from happening?

Thanks,
Rob

lmlloyd
08-03-2006, 06:37 AM
I setu my gmail account and it works great excpet for a little bug..whenever i send and email i get a copy of it sent to me. is there a setting i need to change to get this from happening?

Thanks,
Rob

I'm getting the same thing. Just setup a filter on that account on the t-mobile site, so that it doesn't send mail from your address to the handheld, and it goes away.

byron
08-03-2006, 06:37 AM

Thanks,
Rob

log into BIS and create a filter for your gmail account that says not to send messages to the handheld that are FROM - somegmailuser@<hidden>.... where somegmailuser is your gmail username.

drunknmunkie
08-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks, that worked perfectly:smile:

whsbuss
08-03-2006, 07:31 AM
log into BIS and create a filter for your gmail account that says not to send messages to the handheld that are FROM - somegmailuser@<hidden>.... where somegmailuser is your gmail username.

I know this works, but has anyone tried to deal with it on Gmail using filters? I set up a filter to 'delete' email from somegmailuser@<hidden> and although this stops the message from coming to my BB, it also deletes it from gmail Sent Mail.

byron
08-03-2006, 07:44 AM
yeah... i would deal with it on the BIS side. especially since with 2.1 you get sent messages copied to your sent folder... and you don't even have to use the automatic bcc feature.

Wishdemon
08-03-2006, 07:52 AM
Has this become effective for t-mo?

byron
08-03-2006, 07:53 AM
i was under the assumption it was effective for all carriers. however, i haven't seen any new icons or visual differences.

whsbuss
08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
yeah... i would deal with it on the BIS side. especially since with 2.1 you get sent messages copied to your sent folder... and you don't even have to use the automatic bcc feature.

True, but Yahoo mail works as it should..... sent mail from the BB is placed in Sent Mail and no copy is forwarded to the BB.

byron
08-03-2006, 08:17 AM
True, but Yahoo mail works as it should..... sent mail from the BB is placed in Sent Mail and no copy is forwarded to the BB.

ahhh... who knows. the statement posted above also says you dont have to enable POP access, but if i disable pop access in my gmail account delivery to my handheld stops.

Wishdemon
08-03-2006, 08:21 AM
No new icons, but I am now getting my gmail as push instead of poll when not connected to my blackberry.net email on t-mo.

bpdunsta
08-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Gmail is being delivered to my BB flawlessly. Items I delete "on handheld" only remain on gmail server. Items I delete "on mailbox & handheld" are successfully deleted on the gmail server.

Here's my "loser": if I delete the gmail on my PC, it does not get removed from my BB, even after "forcing" reconciliation. Is this how it's supposed to work? It's really not a big deal, just more curious than anything else. The integration is almost as seemless as my Lotus Notes integration via BES, just this one "flaw."

BERDucky
08-03-2006, 03:57 PM
reconciliation w/ BIS is one way (handheld to account)
reconciliation w/ BES is two way

adamlau
08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Gmail appears to be integrated successfully for Cingular here in the Los Angeles region. No new messenger icons pushed to the device, however...

FightingDevil
08-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Gmail working great on my TMO 8700c. I've reconfigured one of my Gmails from 'Forwarding' to the BIS and I'm having the same 'duplicate sent email' issue as drunknmunkie. I've added a filter to my BIS and that's corrected it.

But...I'm not having this issue on an Gmail account I setup months before as POP. Interesting...

option94
08-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Anyone know whats going on with the new icons? I havn't seen them, and from what i can gether, niether has anyone else.

lmlloyd
08-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Anyone know whats going on with the new icons? I havn't seen them, and from what i can gether, niether has anyone else.

I'm on T-Mobile, and no icons here.

drgoodtymes
08-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Now if they could just improve the, pop 3 integration so that the delete on mailbox and handheld worked with all pop boxes, that would be great.

ScottE22
08-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Let me make sure I understand this before I screw up something...

I can "undo" the forwarding of my Gmail to my @<hidden> address and set it up as I would any other polling account and I get reconciliation just like Yahoo! users do?

Those who are seeing their "sent" mail coming back to them - is there any chance that you set up the account and never "undid" your old forwarding rule? Just a thought - sounds like something I would do... ;) ;)

EDIT: Seems to be working - haven't been able to verify true "Reconciliation" of deleted items from the BB being deleted in Gmail (deleted on HH and Mailbox and forced a "reconcile" but I don't know how long it should take!), but message delivery appears to be instantaneous.

As for receiving back a copy of my Sent mail - that is happening to me too. Seems like a glitch to me - after all if you're going to offer real "full integration" that it should be easy enough to stop that from happening without requiring a filter.

option94
08-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I still want to know where the new icons are.

ScottE22
08-04-2006, 12:20 PM
I still want to know where the new icons are.

I've not seen these either.

...I still want to know how those who are experiencing true reconciliation are doing it!

8-)

EDIT #2: Ding, ding, ding... We have reconcilation... (y) (y)

Institute
08-04-2006, 12:36 PM
new icons are only for cingular, T-mobile doesn't get new icons but did get the update

BERDucky
08-04-2006, 12:41 PM
new icons only appear if your carrier wants to have them

option94
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I have cingular, I dont have the icons. When they first started talking about 2.1, all that was mentioned was the icons. Now I have push gmail, and no icons. I just think its really strange.

GardnerMS
08-04-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm with Cingular and I don't have the new icons either.... but the push GMAIL is awesome...

mG

option94
08-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Are there any other 2.1 features that we should see in the coming days, or is everything complete?

lmlloyd
08-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, I can confirm that on a T-Mobile 8700g now the browser can read PDF files when previously it could not. The PDF timetables for my local bus system previously caused an error on the browser, and now it can open them. The formatting makes them utterly useless, but it at least doesn't cause an error now.

dkf747
08-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Gmail working great on my TMO 8700c. I've reconfigured one of my Gmails from 'Forwarding' to the BIS and I'm having the same 'duplicate sent email' issue as drunknmunkie. I've added a filter to my BIS and that's corrected it.

But...I'm not having this issue on an Gmail account I setup months before as POP. Interesting...

I've been tryi ng to add a filter but it won't woirk. Can you explain how you set it up? Anyone else know?

edit to add: Forget it. Got my answer in another thread.

bigred
08-05-2006, 04:26 AM
Any word on better filter support?
I really miss the superior filters from 1.8...

jporlier
08-05-2006, 11:26 AM
How do you know if you have the updated 2.1? Or how do you preform the upgrade?

Thanks.

I am looking forward to realtime gmail.

option94
08-05-2006, 11:27 AM
If you had 2.0, you now have 2.1. everyone got it.

bigred
08-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Here is a Knowledge Base article that shows the differences.

- KB Article Link - (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/270925/What_Is_-_Different_versions_of_BlackBerry_Internet_Service.html?nodeid=1204674&vernum=0)

K-Mack
08-05-2006, 05:14 PM
When I go to Options>About, it still shows 2.0.0.120

I am with Cingular, does this reflect the upgrade or should it say
something else?

bigred
08-05-2006, 07:02 PM
2.0.0.120 is the platform version on your Blackberry. This thread is talking about BIS 2.1.
BIS is the web based management site that your carrier provides.
The link in my previous post shows screenshots of what the site looks like.

If you call your carriers tech support line they can walk you through the migration.

hailer
08-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Seems to be working for me but no new icons and I am located a little north of Sacramento, CA.

Did a few tests. One with my Yahoo! account to Gmail. Recieved that message rather quickly on my BB.

Sent another test from my Hotmail account to Gmail. Didn't receive the message. Sent another one from the same Hotmail account. Nothing. Sent a third and again nothing. Nothing in my Gmail and nothing in my Hotmail to suggest I mistyped the Gmail address. Hotmail pisses me off......

chbak014
08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
how do i know if i am on BIS 2.1?
is there any way for me to check?

mister.zero
08-07-2006, 03:41 PM

Aside from checking for real-time gmail integration as mentioned above, I haven't seen any other method. For the life of me, I cannot see the visual distinction between 2.0 and 2.1, despite the RIM KB article that's supposed to show the difference in the web interface. Both pictures look identical, aside from one being smaller than the other.

Perhaps someone with better eyes has noticed a difference?

Nickster248
08-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I would like to know that as well, but it appears as if we will have to contact our Carriers and see if it has been implemented.

K-Mack
08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Aside from checking for real-time gmail integration as mentioned above, I haven't seen any other method. For the life of me, I cannot see the visual distinction between 2.0 and 2.1, despite the RIM KB article that's supposed to show the difference in the web interface. Both pictures look identical, aside from one being smaller than the other.

Perhaps someone with better eyes has noticed a difference?

I don't see any difference either.

Nextel User
08-07-2006, 06:22 PM
checking verizon now

Nextel User
08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
so far nothing on one of my accounts (the one with no forwarding), and i received the other within seconds. (the one with forwarding)

:(

ok tried again and it took about 2 minutes from when it popped up on googles page, so maybe it is better than before.

MythmbHurts
08-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Welp here is what Nextel/sprint has to say about it.
"Sir the information was leaked out BIS 2.1 is ready to lanch but is not out for customers use yet. We have no time frame on will it will be out we just got a memo saying it will be out soon and to get ready for it. So as of right now there is NO BIS 2.1 for nextel/sprint.
This info I came about while speaking on the phone with blackberry suport for about 30 minutes. Hope this clears up some wondering you have. Lets just hope it is comming out soon and us 7100i owners get an OS upgrade sooner rather than later!!

athenslb57
08-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Welp here is what Nextel/sprint has to say about it.
"Sir the information was leaked out BIS 2.1 is ready to lanch but is not out for customers use yet. We have no time frame on will it will be out we just got a memo saying it will be out soon and to get ready for it. So as of right now there is NO BIS 2.1 for nextel/sprint.
This info I came about while speaking on the phone with blackberry suport for about 30 minutes. Hope this clears up some wondering you have. Lets just hope it is comming out soon and us 7100i owners get an OS upgrade sooner rather than later!!

I readded my Gmail accounts and I now have full push Gmail and one way sync. Can they explain that?

Milkman
08-08-2006, 06:58 AM
So how did you set it up Athens? Since we (Nextel users) do not have the setup icon, what did you do?

Did you set it up through the web interface as referenced here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-network/42735-gmail-now-reconciles-delivery-immediate.html?highlight=gmail+push

??

zeeshanahmad
08-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Great Check out

www.blackberrypk.com.com

NetGuyR
08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Works on Cingular here in Cali.

athenslb57
08-08-2006, 10:02 PM
So how did you set it up Athens? Since we (Nextel users) do not have the setup icon, what did you do?

Did you set it up through the web interface as referenced here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-network/42735-gmail-now-reconciles-delivery-immediate.html?highlight=gmail+push

??

I just logged on to my BIS deleted my Gmail accounts and added them back. Boom it was done, I have 2 Gmail accounts pushing and syncing to my 7100i.

Rocket
08-09-2006, 07:30 AM
That is confirmed Sprint/Nextel is now on BIS 2.1

Milkman
08-09-2006, 09:00 AM
OK - This is getting confusing, and there is a lot of contradiction here. Lets try to solve this.

I readded my Gmail accounts and I now have full push Gmail and one way sync. Can they explain that?

Athens, a Sprint/Nextel user says he was able to get Gmail to work through the Sprint/Nextel BIS with no problem

That is confirmed Sprint/Nextel is now on BIS 2.1

Rocket confirms that Nextel is on 2.1

Sir the information was leaked out BIS 2.1 is ready to lanch but is not out for customers use yet. We have no time frame on will it will be out we just got a memo saying it will be out soon and to get ready for it. So as of right now there is NO BIS 2.1 for nextel/sprint.

MTH communicates DIRECTLY with Sprint/Nextel, and they say they have NOT upgraded to 2.1 yet.

-

Here are the final nails of confusion into the coffin. I tried to add Gmail to my Sprint/Nextel BIS account myself, and I keep getting the error shown in the picture below. Yes, I am using my correct username (account@<hidden>) and correct password.

Trying to look for a version number, I selected the help screen in the BIS, and it brought up the PDF document found here:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html//web/help/en/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/guide.pdf

Which CLEARLY shows BIS 2.0 and NOT 2.1. This may be a good way for people to be able to tell what BIS they are on, which I think will be VERY helpful, as we have had no way previously.

So to everyone that is on Sprint / Nextel, I am not sure how you got your Gmail to work, but all indications point to us NOT being on 2.1

mrogers
08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to make this work for a GMail Hosted account? I use GMH for my own domain, and that's my main email. If BIS only detects this by the @<hidden> on the end of an email account when you add it, then I'm screwed.

EDIT: Yeah, this works for getting the mail from my GMail account. I can't seem to get the messages to be marked as read in my GMail account though once I've read them on my BlackBerry. And it doesn't work at all with my GMH account, even after I removed and re-added it. Sucks.

BERDucky
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Hosted doesn't work at this point
Gmail integrations do not makre messages as read/unread - it's wirless deletes; sent items and instant delivery

MythmbHurts
08-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Im sure some of the features are working but sprint/nextel is not saying they have released it yet. I guess to cover there own butt. I was told you will see a prompt screen asking if you would like to upgrade to 2.1 which i have not seen to this day so guess what its still not officialy released yet.

justin.culp
08-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I tried to upgrade today, finally after I read that GMail was integrated.

However, Cingular's BIS won't let me!!!

I get a popup message that says :
"We were unable to upgrade your blackberry internet service account. please try again."

I can try again and again...same message.

I am on 1.8...anyone else have this problem?

Berry One
08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Close browser window that shows you this message, wait an hour and try again.

athenslb57
08-09-2006, 06:54 PM
I did notice when I readded my Gmail accounts that it was asking me to assign an email address to my blackberry. Somehow my sprint device email address had been deleted and had to create a new one.