PDA

View Full Version : The new "free" aol

gfunky
08-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7520: BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

For anyone who was curious or didn't know, the new free aol email does allow pop forwarding, but it takes 15-20 mins to receive the email on your blackberry.

joe allen
08-04-2006, 08:22 AM
people still use AOL? you would think people would have learned by now.

justin.culp
08-04-2006, 08:29 AM
people still use AOL? you would think people would have learned by now.

My grandparents use it. Yep...that sounds about right.

headtailgrep
08-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Sheesh.. AOL.. who cares!

drf
08-04-2006, 08:43 AM
AOL sucks!!!

option94
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
i like to consider AOL a virus.

MDOT
08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
i still use aol

gfunky
08-04-2006, 08:15 PM
i was only posting it for informational purposes.. everyone may have their own opinions and thats fine. i was just trying to be helpful

adamlau
08-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Nothing wrong with AOL email...It gets the job done...

paradisephoto
08-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Get a broadband connection, without paying additional for AOL, you will quickly not miss AOL. I converted 6 years ago, and wonder how they are still around. No offense to anyone, just a personal opinion.

flexichick
08-05-2006, 09:50 PM
What is considered "the new, free AOL"? Which version?

I think it's fair to say that some people use AOL for their own reasons, and the whole "AOL sucks" thing has been done to death. We get it.

gfunky
08-05-2006, 10:45 PM
What is considered "the new, free AOL"? Which version?

I think it's fair to say that some people use AOL for their own reasons, and the whole "AOL sucks" thing has been done to death. We get it.

aol has now made their email free, and their programming free.. i believe they are still offering somethings for a low price, but the main program and the email are free now.

flexichick
08-05-2006, 10:50 PM
The email has been free for a while now. I think I was confusing pop forwarding (which I've already done) with auto-forwarding (which they don't allow). If they allowed auto-forward, I could forward to gmail or my BB account and get messages more quickly.

I'm working on a migration to Gmail, but it's going to be a long process.

BlackBerryFinalFan
08-05-2006, 11:15 PM
For GMail > While in your email account with GMail, Go to top right hand side of page and you'll see a tab for Settings , clik it, then while in Settings > Forwarding and POP,
Forwarding: Disable forwarding
Forward a copy of incoming mail to and keep Gmail's copy in the Inboxarchive Gmail's copydelete Gmail's copy

Tip: You can also forward only some of your mail by creating a filter!

POP Download:
Learn more 1. Status: POP is enabled for all mail that has arrived since Jul 24 Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)
Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on
Disable POP

2. When messages are accessed with POP keep Gmail's copy in the Inboxarchive Gmail's copydelete Gmail's copy
3. Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Eudora, Netscape Mail)
Configuration instructions

2006 Google

Shafferds
08-07-2006, 01:44 PM
G mail is great and have no problems with it! I myself have two accounts with it one for business and one personal

greggebhardt
08-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Been using AOL for many years. Too many of my customers know and use the address. Am not about to change because some thing it is outdated. Still has some of the best spam control and I have tried many. All of my email is forwared to my Blackberry 7520 in less than one minute I can never remember service going down.

flexichick
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
I have a hard time getting off of AOL for the same reasons - I've had the account for 13 years, it's printed on my business cards, etc.

I'm curious as to how you get your AOL to gmail in a minute?

RIM tech support (three different reps) have told me that they continue to have issues w. AOL because the BB servers poll AOL so often that AOL thinks they're being hacked and AOL at random denies the BB servers access (ridiculous, no?)

greggebhardt
08-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I have a hard time getting off of AOL for the same reasons - I've had the account for 13 years, it's printed on my business cards, etc.

I'm curious as to how you get your AOL to gmail in a minute?

RIM tech support (three different reps) have told me that they continue to have issues w. AOL because the BB servers poll AOL so often that AOL thinks they're being hacked and AOL at random denies the BB servers access (ridiculous, no?)

I use a service called VERSA Forward. THEY poll my AOL account every 60 seconds and forward any mail to my BB address instantly.

There were some problems wil AOL not allowing access to RIM and companies like VERSA Forward. There was a law suit that reminded AOL that WE have a right to have RIM or other 3rd party compaines that WE chose to have access to our account! They got the idea!