PDA

View Full Version : If Move From Cingular to T-Mo, How Will Existing BIS/PIN/Activation Be Affected?

geekboy2000
08-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I've been reading and searching, and so far, with T-Mo not charging for modem tethering (with a BB Internet plan), it seems almost a no-brainer to move. The one question I couldn' find an answer to is this:

Will T-Mo be able to re-activate my BIS plan, as that is tied to the phone's PIN, and I currently have a BIS plan with Cingular. So, if I dump Cingular, and make the move, what hoops will have to be jumped through to get my BIS back in action? Thanks!

Mark

Dubdub
08-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Just make sure T-Mo has coverage where you will use the phone. It won't be such a good deal if you have no signal.

You will have to stop/shut off the Cingular BIS and setup your email on the T-Mo BIS. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Dubdub
08-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I've been reading and searching, and so far, with T-Mo not charging for modem tethering (with a BB Internet plan), it seems almost a no-brainer to move. The one question I couldn' find an answer to is this:

Will T-Mo be able to re-activate my BIS plan, as that is tied to the phone's PIN, and I currently have a BIS plan with Cingular. So, if I dump Cingular, and make the move, what hoops will have to be jumped through to get my BIS back in action? Thanks!

Mark

You will also have to have a T-Mo phone or unlock your existing Cingular phone so it will work on the T-Mo network.

geekboy2000
08-04-2006, 04:01 PM
You will also have to have a T-Mo phone or unlock your existing Cingular phone so it will work on the T-Mo network.

My phone is un-locked, so that shouldn't be a problem.

SilverSurfer95
08-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Unless you change units, whereby your pin would also change, it will have no effect. I use mine with a Mobistar account in Brussels and Rogers in Canada

geekboy2000
08-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Unless you change units, whereby your pin would also change, it will have no effect. I use mine with a Mobistar account in Brussels and Rogers in Canada

I guess my concern is that when/if Cingular terminates my service, won't they also deactivate my BIS account?

geekboy2000
08-04-2006, 07:41 PM
As an aside:

I just spoke with a Cingular rep (being a long time Cingular subscriber). I quoted him T-Mobile's rates, and asked, "what can/will you do to keep me as a subscriber?" Basically, he confirmed that my understanding of Cingular's rate structure was correct, and well, that was that. No "well, we can throw in modem tethering", or any offer to keep me from jumping providers. T-Mobile's looking pretty good about now.

SilverSurfer95
08-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I guess my concern is that when/if Cingular terminates my service, won't they also deactivate my BIS account?

I use the EXACT same BIS setting when in Europe on MobiStar. This is ALL managed through RIM's IP network so don't sweat it and just move over when you need to.

Best regards,

geekboy2000
08-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I use the EXACT same BIS setting when in Europe on MobiStar. This is ALL managed through RIM's IP network so don't sweat it and just move over when you need to.

Best regards,

Excellent. Thanks very much. I may very well be moving, and soon. It makes no sense for me to pay Cingular near $140/month, for what T-Mobile can give me for around $80 (and with more air-time minutes).

geekboy2000
08-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Made the move, and it was seamless. Got my number ported over, and within an hour, everything was functional. I even configured the thing as a modem, and it works!