PDA

View Full Version : 7100i & PDA

shankscomp
08-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I am considering purchasing the 7100i phone from Nextel and wanting to use it as a PDA as my original PDA was stolen/lost. I want something I can sync with my personal laptop OUTLOOK 2003, and my work computer - OUTLOOK 2003 also. I'm not too worried about getting online with it, as I already have the Spring EVDO card and am stuck with that contract.

The other reason I'm looking to get a new phone, is because my current nextel phone got wet yesterday and I need to replace it since it's now DEAD!

Please recommend...

Thanks
Tim

MrKyoo
08-20-2006, 10:51 AM
The 7100i is a very solid device. I have one myself and love it.

~MrKyoo

shankscomp
08-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Do you have to purchase any additional plans to sync the PDA? That's one of my main concerns... $$$ is kinda short since the wife just told me she's pregnent. I've been watching ebay for a used one... but, kinda skeptical of getting one there!

TylerBoneZJoneZ
08-20-2006, 11:11 AM
If I were you I would just go ahead and buy a brand new one, I have one got it about a month ago and absolutly love it! Also got 15% off the phone and 15% off service every month because I work at the Hospital. Maybe if you work for a major corp. or something like a hospital maybe thats the route to go, Originally the 7100i without any kind of discount or anything is $349.00 (thats without contract) but I resigned my 2 year contract with Nextel, and have the 15% off, and I got a brand new 7100i for $216.00 if thats not a good deal I don't know what is. Best advice go to a Authroized Nextel/Sprint store and ask them... I would go that route instead of ordering it offline new, or eBay, I just don't trust some things on there, for instance I was lookin at used 7100i's on there before I bought one brand new and it listed one on there as brand new almost mint condition and it had pictures of the phone, it didn't look bad but then I got to lookin and the darn thing didn't even have an attena on it! I would go to a Nextel/Sprint phone and see if they can hook you up, I got a great deal on mine!

-Tyler

Do you have to purchase any additional plans to sync the PDA? That's one of my main concerns... $$$ is kinda short since the wife just told me she's pregnent. I've been watching ebay for a used one... but, kinda skeptical of getting one there!

TylerBoneZJoneZ
08-20-2006, 11:14 AM

Meaning PDA I guess your referring to the BlackBerry, and NO you do not have to purchase a "plan" to sync the BlackBerry with Outlook/computer, it comes with the software disc and USB cable. Although you do have to purchase a Data Plan when you get a BlackBerry so its fully functional a Nextel Rep. will be able to tell you more about that and what kind of data plans they offer. When I got my BlackBerry I got an Unlmited BlackBerry Data plan free for 2 years.

shankscomp
08-20-2006, 11:22 AM
So, you're saying you're required to have a data plan from nextel to use the phone?

TylerBoneZJoneZ
08-20-2006, 11:38 AM
So, you're saying you're required to have a data plan from nextel to use the phone?

Yes thats right, but I think they have different plan options, im not really sure because he just told me that I have an unlmited blackberry data plan free for 2 years, so im not worried about it, when 2 years is up I will then worry about it. Just call Sprint/Nextel and they will be able to tell you more about the Date Plan.

SmurfBerry
08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Stolen/Lost? I love that theory. Either I was mugged and it was taken by force, or I just misplaced it. Two sides of the spectrum.

shankscomp
08-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I was at our county fair with the family taking care of the animals, and my work called that Saturday afternoon. I pulled out my PDA to lookup some information and then call the client back... I had set the PDA down on a chair next to where I was sitting. 20 minutes later when I got done with the phone call, I went to put my laptop away, and completely forgot about the PDA. A few hours later, went to look for it, and it was GONE!

SO, yeah, you can take it both ways... Actually, I was thinking the neighbor girl may have grabbed it, cuz she DOES have sticky fingers, but who knows!

So, yeah, hence the reason I'm considering the 7100i!
Thanks
Tim

two-gun kid
08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
If I were you I would just go ahead and buy a brand new one, I have one got it about a month ago and absolutly love it! Also got 15% off the phone and 15% off service every month because I work at the Hospital. Maybe if you work for a major corp. or something like a hospital maybe thats the route to go, Originally the 7100i without any kind of discount or anything is $349.00 (thats without contract) but I resigned my 2 year contract with Nextel, and have the 15% off, and I got a brand new 7100i for $216.00 if thats not a good deal I don't know what is. Best advice go to a Authroized Nextel/Sprint store and ask them... I would go that route instead of ordering it offline new, or eBay, I just don't trust some things on there, for instance I was lookin at used 7100i's on there before I bought one brand new and it listed one on there as brand new almost mint condition and it had pictures of the phone, it didn't look bad but then I got to lookin and the darn thing didn't even have an attena on it! I would go to a Nextel/Sprint phone and see if they can hook you up, I got a great deal on mine!

-Tyler
i got mine for $125 and 25% of my bill with Fedex.(y)

i love my 7100i.

c.robertson
08-25-2006, 08:59 PM
you dont have to have a data plan to use the blackberry as a phone and a pda you just cant send emails or surf the net. been doin it for a while now.. and that coming from a nextel rep that loaned me a blackberry to use and helped me transfer all my contacts from my reg. nextel to my blackberry.

jbot6000
08-26-2006, 01:44 PM
waste management has the biggest discount 30% off everything. although the evp price doesnt change for any company. you can just call customer service say you work for WM and if you dont sound like an idiot theylle give you the discount ;)